Welcome to Volume 1 of “No Mainstream Fridays,” a weekly listing of songs that are
1. worth listening to
2. probably not being featured elsewhere at the moment
3. would be mainstream if there were such a thing
Without further ado:
“Got to Get the Nerve” by Field Music – for fans of early xtc. My favorite record of the year so far.

“The Fence Feels its Post” by Frog Eyes – sorry, I just can’t explain the complex brilliance of this band. It’s just chills from start to finish… passion from Victoria Island in British Columbia.
“Our Love Lives” by Impossible Shapes – absolute brilliance! every time one of these songs comes on, I freak out.
“Internal Crash” by Loquat – beautiful pop from sf!
“Melody 1” by Tera Melos – incredible instrumental avant indie stuff.
“Crushed Bones” by WHY? – yoni wolf is a hip-hop ray davies!
and speaking of ray davies:
“Dedicated Follower of Fashion” by The Kinks
And from the more recent past:
“Subterranean Homesick Alien” by Radiohead.
I recently listened to OK Computer again and was surprised to discover that I might well think it’s the best record ever made (and yes, that includes the untouchables: Sgt Peppers and Pet Sounds).
Happy Friday!! Have great weekends! And maybe go out this weekend and buy these records, so as to hear these amazing songs in their natural habitat. I’ll post more next Friday!
best,
mz

Comments

1. Tracey
    April 21, 2006 at 7:28pm
    What?!!! True brilliance!! I swear you guys will never stop amazing me. I have no words to describe how thankful I am for all of you and what you do. This idea...spectacular!! Tim hope the trip is going well.
  2. Kody
    April 23, 2006 at 11:30pm
    BC's capital, Victoria, is on "Vancouver Island", not "Victoria Island". ;) Look forward to checking them out though! I'm a local, and have never heard of them!
  3. Peter
    April 24, 2006 at 3:38pm
    Newbie here... can't figure out how to listen to the music you've listed here :(((( Or is that the idea? I click on a title, maybe it won't be found (e.g. frog eyes, loquat tunes), but it definitely won't be played. How about a special "no mainstream" radio channel, with just these tunes?????
  4. Michael Zapruder
    April 24, 2006 at 5:03pm
    hey peter. hmm, that's strange that none of the station links are working for you. have you signed up for a pandora account yet? as for a master station combining all the recs, I am definitely going to be doing that, starting this Friday! Thanks for listening! mz
  5. Peter
    April 24, 2006 at 11:51pm
    I have an account (same as my email addres), but I'm not a subscriber -- anything I click turns into a radio station but does not play the song. The "One in Six..." song title is not found ... the "Eternal Crash" song is spelled wrong.
  6. alex
    April 25, 2006 at 1:04pm
    absolutely awesome effort, keep up the good work
  7. Jay
    April 25, 2006 at 7:28pm
    OK, that does it. Where I can trade in my stereo receiver for a Squeezebox? I have not listened to "regular" radio (ho-hum) since someone told me about Pandora and here you come with yet ANOTHER reason to eschew the ceaseless Yawn Parade that is FM radio in the DC Metro area. Jay p.s. Did you say "Hip-hop Ray Davies"? Verily, Pandora is endlessly fascinating.
  8. Phoebe Love
    April 26, 2006 at 10:26am
    Hi. I think it's a bit harsh to remove an artist after two thumbs down of their songs. Very few artists don't have two or more bad songs I'd want banned from the station, but I don't want to ban their good stuff. At this very moment you are sending me a bad Supremes song: one down, one to go... On the flipside, boy did liking ABBA really sock it to me, I KNOW that's why you sent me the Foreigner, Journey and Asia. You are coy about revealing your motivations, but I know this with the same spidey sense that tells me what I ate that made me vomit. And the sooner I could ban the above three artists, the better. I would like to not have to wait to get smacked with them again. Maybe you could have a ban this artist button? Or would that be bad for us, because then we would never hear their undiscovered gems? But then that would happen anyway if we also didn't like two of their songs, under the present system. Love [lots of it-! despite my nitpicking], Phoebe
  9. Machiventa
    April 27, 2006 at 9:21am
    Peter, read the FAQ. Or when you click on those songs to start a new station, there is an option saying "Why we're not playing this song".. click that link. Phoebe Love, you should e-mail what you typed up to pandora-support@pandora.com they will read the e-mail, you might not get a response but rest assure it'll get read.
  10. athenna
    April 27, 2006 at 2:26pm
    hey i dont get this..i thought i can get a music html.to put in my music thing in Now Playing.DONT GET IT..well,,nah tnx..cool blog..i got one too.click my uURL

Reply to Kathleen Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )