Last week I shed a little light on what it’s like to be one of the people who analyzes all of the songs you hear on Pandora. Here’s a few more stations on which you can hear the musical skills of some of our Music Analysts. It’s fun for me to get to showcase such great and widely varied music, all coming out of the people in our office!
More next week…
renemelody.jpg
René Peña-Govea (left, with Melody at right) sings and plays the accordion in her family band, La Familia Peña-Govea. You’ve got to hear this; it’s two parents and their two daughters playing traditional Colombian, Tex-Mex and Mexican music.
Ariah Firefly, up-and-coming pop star and long-time Pandoran, sings lush R&B-inflected pop that’s both ethereal and powerful. Take a listen: you’ll like it!
Darian Gray, one of our newest Analysts, is always smiling and always game. (we like that in our co-workers!) Dynamic is the name of his catchy band, which is R&B mixed with hip hop, rock and some drum and bass.
The Patrick Greene Trio , starring our own Analyst Patrick Greene, consists of Guitar, Organ, and Drums (aka GOD). Listen up for some, as he puts it, “Jazz Funk Post Bop Straight Ahead Modern High Energy Spiritual” music.
adam.jpg
Happy Monday!
cheers, Lucia

Comments

1. Ira Schneider
    June 19, 2006 at 12:43pm
    Hi, Please work on having all stations come in at the same volume. Regards, Ira Schneider
  2. mr. errin fass
    June 19, 2006 at 6:54pm
    Sorry to say that after a mere 2 days, I have UN-installed Pandora from my system...I found that I did not like at all being "forced" to listen to music that was not what I asked for, and being limited to skipping only 3 or 4 songs was absolutely dreadful!! Did not at all like the interface, as it hogged my desktop, took too long to load, and did not provide convenient enough access to skip songs while trying to do other computer tasks...I had the feeling that I should never have opened Pandora's box!!! Fortunately, I was able to put her back into it without much trouble with my Uninstaller!!! There you have the gist of things. While I do like being exposed to new music, I don't like it being chosen FOR me...When I want to listen to Gershwin, I want to listen to Gershwin...not something remotely un-close....no matter what your idiotic analysts propose as being "similar"...I studied music for many, many years, and disagreed immensely with their choices for listening...These, of course, are my opinions, and perhaps there are many who will disagree...I wish you luck in continuing forward, but must say that unless you address these issues, I will not re-download from your site...
  3. Arena
    June 20, 2006 at 12:42am
    on the above comments: ...talk about not being related, those comments have nothing to do with the post. I guess some people just can't handle variety. and now my comment (on the posting): Any way, I love these postings -- Thanks!! I'm listening to La Familia Pena-Govea right now. The thing I love most (and I think what most people love) about Pandora is variety and discovering new music. I also love that pandora is run by people that are fun & interesting (and talented!) Cheers!
  4. Gejza
    June 20, 2006 at 1:23am
    i just want to know that why i can't find pure music .such as Croatian Rhapsody(Maksim).
  5. Vincenzo
    June 20, 2006 at 2:59am
    This is just awesome! well done guys! pandora is the best streaming music service i've come accross so far. Thubs up! Your idea is unique and that's what makes the difference! i hope u'll keep it as it is...
  6. zoomie72
    June 20, 2006 at 7:20am
    When you have the time and desire to expand, add Classical music, please
  7. some one
    June 20, 2006 at 7:26am
    Ira Schneider--> listen necrophagist radio and you won't be disapointed ;) Keep up the great work !! the interface is near perfect and my stations are getting better and better. It would be cool if we could put a comment on the songs we bookmark, so we remember what kind of song it was :|
  8. ObiWanKeenobi
    June 20, 2006 at 8:41am
    Wow, straight to the grievances. Well, if thats how its going to be... Ok, I have to say "thank you" for Backstage, I finally see why I've been having so many problems with my eclectic stations. If anyone is having trouble with stations seeded with off-the-beaten-path songs, try this: Search Backstage for the artist (or the album). Then, go to the album that the seed song came from. If you'll notice, next to the "Track List" there is a little "(try tracks 1, 2...)". If your seed song is among the suggested tracks, you should be ok, but if its not, then you'll never be happy with what that station plays. If you click on a song that is listed in the "(try tracks...)" list, you'll notice that there is a "Features of this song" list. But if you click on a song that isn't suggested in the list, you'll notice that there aren't any features. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this tells me that Pandora doesn't have any information on that song and a station seeded by it is doomed to be based, at BEST on the artist's info, but apparently, more likely, Pandora tries matching the other suggested tracks from that specific album. I don't understand why Pandora lets you start a station based on songs that they don't have information for. They have the tracks in the system, so they'll play on that station only because you have specifically asked for them, but they won't play songs that sound specifically like those song that don't have "features" listed on Backstage. Exibit A: I have a station seeded with "Burgundy Blues", a song on Breakestra's album "Hit The Floor". "Burgundy Blues" is an instumental jam featuring a guest flute soloist. To my surprise I get rap song after rap song, I check Backstage, low and behold, the only track I'm suggested to "try", i.e. Pandora has info on, is "Family Rap", a song with guest rap artists on it. I understand that there are a lot of songs out there and the scope of what is being attempted, but at leaest be up front about what songs are likely to be successful and which ones are doomed to failure. Thank you again, however, for Backstage, I can now avoid so much of the headache I've had in the past by checking that the songs I choose as seeds have, indeed, been analysed.
  9. Allen
    June 20, 2006 at 8:46am
    Re: mr. errin fass I didn't realize there was a download/install version . . . for me it was as simple as visiting (or not visiting) pandora.com. At any rate, it's no wonder you didn't enjoy your pandora experience, at some point you misunderstood its purpose and mistook it for a free, steaming CD player of sorts. Pandora is all about discovering new music based on what you've already established you like. Sometimes, it has an easier time finding what you enjoy than others -- my best results come from starting stations on a per song rather than per artist basis, as a single artist can have a greatly varrying sound spanning not just different songs but albums over a career. There's nothing wrong with wanting to hear what you want to hear when you want to hear it--but if you're ever feeling bored (or adventurous) and want to hear something new . . . you might consider giving pandora another go, this time with the expectation to not necessarily hear precisely what you intended. :) Personally, I'm amazed daily by the discovery of new music I've essentially always loved without knowing.
  10. Don Ray
    June 20, 2006 at 9:17am
    I wanted to let you know that I am really enjoying the Pandora experience. I have recommended Pandora to the readers of my blog and have received many emails thanking me for bringing Pandora to their attention. Keep up the good work. You just keep making it better.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )