We’ve been quietly rolling out a number of enhancements to Pandora.com the last few weeks and I thought I’d tell you a bit about them.
The biggest of the bunch is the launch of lyrics! This has been one of the most requested features for Pandora for as long as I can remember and the trick for us has always been to find a great provider of legal, fully licensed lyrics to share with you. Happy to say that we’ve found a great partner in Gracenote and last week we launched the first iteration of our lyric integration. To see the lyrics for the song you’re currently listening to just pull up the “about this music” panel underneath the player and select the lyrics tab. We’ll show you the first four lines of the song on the home page and you can click through to a second window that will show you the complete lyrics for the songs. Find a song that moves you? Click the share button to send them to a friend.
We’ve also been fiddling with the interface for adding more variety to your stations. Variety is a tricky subject when it comes to radio. We never want you to get bored with your stations, but a certain amount of repetition is welcome and expected. We’re constantly tweaking the core algorithm to impact station variety and we’re not done in that dimension. On the other hand, we’ve always had tools that allow you to expand the musical scope of a station by adding more song or artist “seeds” — but that interface has been largely hidden and only used by a small minority of our listeners. In a change that rolled out a few weeks ago we’ve added a “Add variety…” button to the player itself so that it’s easier to find and access. We’ve also updated the Add Variety panel to prompt you with a few ideas about artists you might want to add when you run out of your own ideas.
We also recently launched a “station gift” feature — this is your chance to make a kind of Pandora “mix tape” for a friend. Just visit www.pandora.com/station_gift, pick some favorite artists or songs, choose a design, and we’ll take care of the rest. Think of it as a musical e-card from Pandora.
One last tidbit you may have noticed is that we now support “bulk” purchase through both iTunes and Amazon MP3. Instead of buying songs one at a time, you can now use your Pandora bookmark list as a starting point for buying a whole bunch of music with just a single click. Click the “Buy All” button on your profile page to get started (and don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of chances to review your song selections before the purchase actually goes through).
We’ve had a lot of fun building these new features and we hope you enjoy using them. As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback and ideas in the comments.

Comments

1. Lilia Duran
    January 16, 2015 at 1:34pm
    I woud like to read the lyrics, was a good time in my computer
  2. Chartreuse Dragon
    January 17, 2015 at 1:58pm
    One of my favorite features of Pandora is gone. Lyrics. 2 months and no update on this page = Pandora communication FAIL. This is a critical feature guys! Unless you plan on Bankruptcy in the upcoming months, FIX IT NOW!
  3. Tessa
    January 21, 2015 at 2:41pm
    I read over and over, the complaints of no lyrics but and have yet to see an answer from Pandora that is up to date. The lyrics returned after 2009 then disappeared in 2014! What IS THE DEAL PANDORA?! explain yourself please and thanks!!!
  4. Tiffany Romine
    January 21, 2015 at 7:00pm
    BRING BACK THE LYRICS SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
  5. Alexandra
    January 22, 2015 at 12:41pm
    I was considering subscribing to the paid version of Pandora, but after learning that even that won't bring lyrics back, no thanks. We are all unhappy about this, Pandora. And unhappy people seek business elsewhere.
  6. Jeremy Adams
    January 28, 2015 at 12:23pm
    Another paying customer that is unhappy with the decision to remove the lyrics. I use Pandora exclusively and screen music for inappropriate language with your lyric function. Please reconsider this decision.
  7. Taylor Swift Lyrics
    January 29, 2015 at 8:53am
    Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be exciting to read through articles from other authors and use a little something from other sites.
  8. heyrick
    February 07, 2015 at 6:23am
    Lyrics influence my decision to purchase track and/or album.
  9. Alicia Ann Vanderflught
    February 13, 2015 at 12:22pm
    Bring them back!!! Please I love the lyrics... It helped me a lot if I wanted to sing the song for Choir or something I could find out the lyrics if they weren't on there... or if I wanted to do karaoke with friends... Please Pandora bring them back!
  10. Ashley
    February 23, 2015 at 6:17am
    The lyrics are the most important part of the songs... We don't listen to them for the guitar riffs, we want to hear what the artists are saying and expressing and most of the time it's hard to pick them out just listening to the song once, expecially since we cannot rewind or play the song over. Pandora is still my favorite music site but I could play a playlist on youtube and get the same experience for free also, plus lyrics.

Reply to danny Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )