We’ve been quietly rolling out a number of enhancements to Pandora.com the last few weeks and I thought I’d tell you a bit about them.
The biggest of the bunch is the launch of lyrics! This has been one of the most requested features for Pandora for as long as I can remember and the trick for us has always been to find a great provider of legal, fully licensed lyrics to share with you. Happy to say that we’ve found a great partner in Gracenote and last week we launched the first iteration of our lyric integration. To see the lyrics for the song you’re currently listening to just pull up the “about this music” panel underneath the player and select the lyrics tab. We’ll show you the first four lines of the song on the home page and you can click through to a second window that will show you the complete lyrics for the songs. Find a song that moves you? Click the share button to send them to a friend.
We’ve also been fiddling with the interface for adding more variety to your stations. Variety is a tricky subject when it comes to radio. We never want you to get bored with your stations, but a certain amount of repetition is welcome and expected. We’re constantly tweaking the core algorithm to impact station variety and we’re not done in that dimension. On the other hand, we’ve always had tools that allow you to expand the musical scope of a station by adding more song or artist “seeds” — but that interface has been largely hidden and only used by a small minority of our listeners. In a change that rolled out a few weeks ago we’ve added a “Add variety…” button to the player itself so that it’s easier to find and access. We’ve also updated the Add Variety panel to prompt you with a few ideas about artists you might want to add when you run out of your own ideas.
We also recently launched a “station gift” feature — this is your chance to make a kind of Pandora “mix tape” for a friend. Just visit www.pandora.com/station_gift, pick some favorite artists or songs, choose a design, and we’ll take care of the rest. Think of it as a musical e-card from Pandora.
One last tidbit you may have noticed is that we now support “bulk” purchase through both iTunes and Amazon MP3. Instead of buying songs one at a time, you can now use your Pandora bookmark list as a starting point for buying a whole bunch of music with just a single click. Click the “Buy All” button on your profile page to get started (and don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of chances to review your song selections before the purchase actually goes through).
We’ve had a lot of fun building these new features and we hope you enjoy using them. As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback and ideas in the comments.

Comments

1. Brittany
    April 01, 2009 at 6:48am
    Hey to everyone over there at Pandora! I normally don't comment for ANYTHING, but I was so blown away at my first experience with Pandora yesterday that I had to let you know how amazing I think this is. I've heard of Pandora, but I figured it was like those other DIY internet radio stations, so I stuck with listening to my iTunes library. Yesterday I gave in and gave Pandora a try, and right away, my station was playing some pretty awesome music that I had never heard of THAT I ACTUALLY LIKED. I've tried Yahoo Music before, and compared to each other, Yahoo's a 2 and Pandora's a 10. Thanks for the hard work. It's paying off, at least for me! THANK YOU!!
  2. Paul Maloy
    April 01, 2009 at 10:58am
    Pandora is absolutely one of the coolest sites on the web and is hands-down the best music listening site on the web! As a former web-marketing manager (now turned junior high teacher by choice) I have 2 suggestions: 1) try displaying ads that meet a personal interest profile; this should increase ad value via relevance; 2) Please add a WORLD MUSIC category with subcategories by global region with additional subsubcatories of traditional and modern. As much as I can, I play a TON of music from Pandora in my history and geography classes. Keep up the AWESOME work!!!
  3. Steve
    April 01, 2009 at 2:39pm
    Tim, I'm honestly blown away by Pandora. Being a 51-year-old Clevelander, my taste in music has a pretty wide range. Depending on my mood, my listening tastes run the gamut from Herman's Hermits to Kelly Clarkson back to Alice in Chains. That's why I got hooked on Launchcast until it's absorption. For the heck of it today I did a search on alternatives to the CBS surrogate and found Slacker, Last.FM and Pandora. While the others have their attributes, I'm pleased to say Pandora is AWESOME. Your site is super clean and friendly to the eyes and your really personal approach, including a follow-up welcome e-mail just took me totally by surprise! Keep up the awesome work! All the best to you and your crew from the Rock capital...
  4. Lei
    April 01, 2009 at 3:31pm
    Thank you for making and telling us about all these new features! I'm particularly impressed with the lyrics function and hope that Gracenote will have a lyrics database to match Pandora, as so far only more popular artists have lyrics.
  5. Roman
    April 01, 2009 at 11:16pm
    The lyrics feature is a good one, thanks. The rest is minor and much less important user-wise, than: * GLOBAL BAN LIST. Especially where there user can manually put the wannabe musicians. * BAN MERGE LIST. You take two thumbdown lists from two stations and generate one large one for both stations. For all stations. That helps reach two-song minimum ban capacity and reduces the risk of getting Eminem on a Beatles/Zombies station. * Better interface for browsing large thumbdown/thumbup lists. I have more than 500 entries in each, and the browser collapses in its current interface.
  6. Hector
    April 02, 2009 at 12:29am
    thank you! this site is great!! i never close my browser because of you guys. there's a wide variety of music and the list is almost endless. why get satellite radio when you've got pandora? keep up the good work. :D
  7. Maria
    April 02, 2009 at 12:32am
    Normally i login to listen to tracks from last.fm, but today I came across Pandora and was very impressed by it. Both sites are great, and in terms of navigation, I feel your site is easier to get around, and having lyrics feature should be an even great pull to those hoping to hymn along to the music.Best wishes to Pandora,Maria Duval
  8. vinicius grassi
    April 02, 2009 at 5:20am
    Please, I came back from US few months ago, I really need Pandora in my country. Brazil is waiting for Pandora. When will the service available in Brazil??? We cant wait. Sincerely, Vini
  9. Tony
    April 02, 2009 at 7:15am
    Thanks for the updates. As a long time listener to Pandora.com I see that besides the lyrics change the new features are really great for helping new users and generating new users. There are still a few things that I'd like to see and have suggested in the past. I know you have to prioritize additions, but hopefully you'll consider these again. 1) Allow the repeat interval to be changed to 24 hours so you don't hear the same song on a station more than once a day. It appears to be set to 4 hours which is great, but I'd love to have it longer. 2) Allow a person to toggle a station to only play new music based on their seed and thumbs up songs. This would be something you could turn on and off for a station when you're feeling more like hearing new music. 3) Allow "new music" stations or a "new music" switch which only play songs added to Pandora in the last year. I'd love to know about new music as it comes in rather than waiting for it to filter into one of my existing stations. Thanks again for the great site and service.
  10. alex
    April 02, 2009 at 12:21pm
    I normally don't comment for ANYTHING, but I was so blown away at my first experience with Pandora yesterday that I had to let you know how amazing I think this is. I've heard of Pandora, but I figured it was like those other DIY internet radio stations, so I stuck with listening to my iTunes library. Yesterday I gave in and gave Pandora a try, and right away, my station was playing some pretty awesome music that I had never heard of THAT I ACTUALLY LIKED. I've tried Yahoo Music before, and compared to each other, Yahoo's a 2 and Pandora's a 10. Thanks for the hard work. It's paying off, at least for me! THANK YOU!! cure anxiety attacks treatment for anxiety

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )