hey everyone!
It’s been busy busy around here lately, as we’ve worked to keep up with all of you! It occured to me that I should communicate my thanks to each of you who has send us music requests. It’s a very big world, and as I suspected, there are many many many cds in it. And yet, in classic late-aught-5 style, the combined efforts of many of you dedicated listeners have helped us more than any individual could have (see wikipedia, web 2.0, etc). And it’s only been a few months. Please keep the requests coming!
A little advanced addendum for the supremely devoted: if you’re sending us info for a brand new band, or a local band that’s probably not yet signed or distributed, please consider emailing the band directly and cc’ing us on that email. We are 100% receptive to independent music, and will listen to whatever people send in, and we’ll add it if we can. And we absolutely hate it when we can’t find copies of the music that you suggest to us!!! The same message goes out to those of you in bands who want to be considered for inclusion to Pandora. Please send us your music!
Also, believe it or not, certain genres are hard to find, even here in the commerce-glutted US of A, so if you feel that we’re light on a particular genre, please feel free to send us information on resources like online stores and review sites for your fave micro-genres. Sometimes that’s all it takes for us to be able to provide a comprehensive catalog of your favorite stuff….
Your requests are being logged and worked through, and we’re getting everything that we can, so long as we feel confident that it’s up to your standards…
OK. ’nuff about that. here are a very few of my favorite current musics, new and old, to spice up the holidays. In no particular order, a partial list:
City Bird (Pandora station based on this song by Of Montreal)
Magic Carpet (sitar folk from the 70s!)
Nirvana (1967) (the original nirvana! from britain – classic british 60s pop – a cult classic – see esp. the song Wings of Love… this makes a great vintage 60s pop station! but beware, you need to ask for “Nirvana (1967) or you’ll get the Kurt Cobain Nirvana….)
Mark Hollis (this brilliant and mercurial frontman from Talk Talk made a sublime, self-titled solo record… moody and perfect)
Jose Gonzalez (!!!!!! beautiful contemporary indie-folk stuff, subtle not sentimental. definitely one of my best-ofs this year…)
The Dirty Projectors (freaky low fi pop, blindingly brilliant. oh man.)
Goldspot (clean, smart pop from a new band that’s not that well known, yet…)
The Teeth (more great pop, sort of punkish, kinks-ish, totally excellent and original)
The Stares (a great new band from Seattle with strings and horns by the great Eyvind Kang)
Ghosts of Monkshood (very strange psych folk – from Oklahoma I think – very weird and wonderful)
Diane Cluck (nyc folk-innocent. so simple. so great.)
Vashti Bunyan (long lost folk lass from Britain, just released her second album, 30 years after her first!)
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings (old school neo soul…)
Dungen (scandinavian epic psych-pop……. superb)
Black Sabbath (get your vintage Sabbath metal fix. never checked em out??? you should.)
Davy Graham (60’s acoustic folk)
Dr. Dog (more great interesting pop.)
well, I just know I’m forgetting a bunch more… you’ll let me know, though. of that I am certain……
yours,
mz

Comments

1. Art Wolinsky
    December 12, 2005 at 7:01am
    I have had Dell MusicMatch for a year and iTunes for two months. I discovered Pandora two days ago and as far as I am concered, the other two are retired! It not only gives me the songs I want, the Why did I pick this song? feature teaches me about my taste in music. Thanks for this great service.
  2. Ralph Verano
    December 13, 2005 at 9:15am
    Just started listening to Pandora after having Launchcast go sour by reducing their catalog because of legal negotiations. The biggest plus, so far, is the several artists I've heard on Pandora that are completely new to me. I realize that the system is in it's infancy but there are several issues that need to be addressed. I still am not clear whether Pandora is restricted from playing certain artists or labels. It would seem that they are since I've not heard quite a few of the artists that I've requested. The folks at Pandora seem like they are willing to be very helpful an honest with their listeners. I hope they pursue a policy of informing people exactly what they can and cannot offer. Secondly, I'm sure this point has probably been made before but the repetition of artists needs to be fixed. I noticed an artist played twice in 3 songs and 3 times within one hour. One of the reasons I became frustrated with Launchcast was the way artists were begining to repeat more often but they never repeated as often as I'm hearing on Pandora. And I certainly don't think it's a lack of artists that I've entered (around 80 so far). Pandora has some real potential but I would like to see some of the major bugs worked out before I will recommend them to anyone.
  3. Patricia
    December 13, 2005 at 10:53am
    Hola mi nombre es Patricia y soy de España, hoy encontré esta dirección y me parece una página muy atractiva pero no tengo ni idea de como manejarla. Alguien podría ayudarme?? Un saludo, good bye
  4. Danielle.
    December 14, 2005 at 7:38pm
    if you guys ever get rid of this site i swear i will shoot you all down with a bb gun. =] thanks so much its a brilliant idea! Good Luck. <3
  5. aisu
    December 15, 2005 at 2:40pm
    I totally dig this! i've been all over itunes radio (specifically radio paradise), sirius and yahoo music but i get bored with them often. i think i've found something i can rest upon. ;) although i can't figure out why it keeps playing the same songs more than once. anyway, a little note....ya gotta add HALOU to your library. definately. thanks, and you can bet i'll be spreading the word.
  6. Matthew Williams
    December 15, 2005 at 4:51pm
    Hi. Just letting you know that I enjoyed your site. Create Destroy Hope - that is all that Slot is capable of: http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/ , when Chair Love Cards Anticipate Coolblooded Tournament Hedge or not , Cards can Play Slot Big Chair becomes International Grass in final
  7. Phil
    December 16, 2005 at 10:06am
    What I like is that whatever means you use to broadcast music, I can hear it at work. They've disabled most everything that will take bandwidth, although I have found some java players that work. My only complaint is really niche music, namely, Caribbean calypso and SOCA has been hard to find due to the manner in which the music is indexed. On the other hand, Reggae and more modern music seems well represented. Kudoes!
  8. Umberleigh
    December 16, 2005 at 3:41pm
    First of all: Thank you for such an excellent service. I've been listening to Pandora and almost nothing else for a couple of weeks now. I'd be great if you could keep track of tracks (pun unintended) you play for longer than one session. I'd suggest something like submitting played track listings to the excellent last.fm/audioscrobbler service; there are APIs available to do this. See http://last.fm
  9. Joe Wilson
    December 20, 2005 at 3:56pm
    Thanx and happy holidays, i cant seem to get away from this thing.. If it was a woman i might be willing to marry it..I do have one problem with the program, when i select jazz song that has a latin influence why doesnt every song end up with a latin influence..A means of keeping the music in a time frame say the 60's or 50's might be useful also.
  10. Rick Johnson
    December 20, 2005 at 5:02pm
    I was surprised and pleased to see Mark Hollis on your list! His album is a quiet masterpiece, much like the last few Talk Talk albums. Everyone should give it a listen.

Reply to Genewitch Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )