hey everyone!
It’s been busy busy around here lately, as we’ve worked to keep up with all of you! It occured to me that I should communicate my thanks to each of you who has send us music requests. It’s a very big world, and as I suspected, there are many many many cds in it. And yet, in classic late-aught-5 style, the combined efforts of many of you dedicated listeners have helped us more than any individual could have (see wikipedia, web 2.0, etc). And it’s only been a few months. Please keep the requests coming!
A little advanced addendum for the supremely devoted: if you’re sending us info for a brand new band, or a local band that’s probably not yet signed or distributed, please consider emailing the band directly and cc’ing us on that email. We are 100% receptive to independent music, and will listen to whatever people send in, and we’ll add it if we can. And we absolutely hate it when we can’t find copies of the music that you suggest to us!!! The same message goes out to those of you in bands who want to be considered for inclusion to Pandora. Please send us your music!
Also, believe it or not, certain genres are hard to find, even here in the commerce-glutted US of A, so if you feel that we’re light on a particular genre, please feel free to send us information on resources like online stores and review sites for your fave micro-genres. Sometimes that’s all it takes for us to be able to provide a comprehensive catalog of your favorite stuff….
Your requests are being logged and worked through, and we’re getting everything that we can, so long as we feel confident that it’s up to your standards…
OK. ’nuff about that. here are a very few of my favorite current musics, new and old, to spice up the holidays. In no particular order, a partial list:
City Bird (Pandora station based on this song by Of Montreal)
Magic Carpet (sitar folk from the 70s!)
Nirvana (1967) (the original nirvana! from britain – classic british 60s pop – a cult classic – see esp. the song Wings of Love… this makes a great vintage 60s pop station! but beware, you need to ask for “Nirvana (1967) or you’ll get the Kurt Cobain Nirvana….)
Mark Hollis (this brilliant and mercurial frontman from Talk Talk made a sublime, self-titled solo record… moody and perfect)
Jose Gonzalez (!!!!!! beautiful contemporary indie-folk stuff, subtle not sentimental. definitely one of my best-ofs this year…)
The Dirty Projectors (freaky low fi pop, blindingly brilliant. oh man.)
Goldspot (clean, smart pop from a new band that’s not that well known, yet…)
The Teeth (more great pop, sort of punkish, kinks-ish, totally excellent and original)
The Stares (a great new band from Seattle with strings and horns by the great Eyvind Kang)
Ghosts of Monkshood (very strange psych folk – from Oklahoma I think – very weird and wonderful)
Diane Cluck (nyc folk-innocent. so simple. so great.)
Vashti Bunyan (long lost folk lass from Britain, just released her second album, 30 years after her first!)
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings (old school neo soul…)
Dungen (scandinavian epic psych-pop……. superb)
Black Sabbath (get your vintage Sabbath metal fix. never checked em out??? you should.)
Davy Graham (60’s acoustic folk)
Dr. Dog (more great interesting pop.)
well, I just know I’m forgetting a bunch more… you’ll let me know, though. of that I am certain……
yours,
mz

Comments

1. Snarf40
    December 08, 2005 at 5:31am
    I'd like to see the genome itself. I really like the concept - it is a brilliant idea. It would be nice to be able to look at the entire genome and select the desired attributes to create a station. I think that feature would take this concept to the next level. This blog still have people asking to be able to select genres. But it seems to me that the attributes or "genomes" are more fundamental than genres. With your vast library of tunes and the ability to select songs with a given set of attributes, you could create your own personal genres. I'd love to try that! Thanks!
  2. NoWhereMan
    December 09, 2005 at 9:19am
    I LOVE this piece of webware :) I would love if you made it stand alone (i.e. wrap it in a flash player) or as a plugin for winamp :P keep it up!
  3. Bobbias
    December 09, 2005 at 12:20pm
    Yes, selecting Genome traits would be an AWESOME way of doing things (I've been thinking about that being a good thing for quite a while) but if you like way too much types of music, you can run into MAJOR problems selecting music for a station. I like many genres ranging for classical, to metal, to almost every electronic genre, and would like my stations to keep VERY close to the original artist I used, but I'm having trouble since i like a lot of stuff. It's especially hard with stuff like Iced Earth, which has a unique, heavily melodic, rhythm-guitar based music style, when I'm getting stuff considered nu-metal on the same station, we NEED ways of filtering out stuff we absolutely do NOT want on a station. I would eprsonally like to get inside the song selection mechanism and be able to tailor it to perfection by both using music, and selecting exact music genome traits, and I would appreciate genre filters. If you look at how metal-archives.com classifies their music, they have basically keywords that modify the style to help classify specific genres. for example, on there Iced Earth shows up as Power/thrash metal, which is very accurate, but they also have lyrical themes, which show up for iced earth as Horror, Suffering, History, Vengeance. Not only do they have those features, which help you get a good idea of the feeling the music exhibits, as well as the actual style, but you can see what bands the members, current and past, have been in, or are in. this allows you to hear bands which are similar due to the type of music that the members play. there should also be genome traits for the overall mood of the song, considering sometiums I will only listen to songs which exhibit a specific mood. All in all, I'm saying we need a LOT more customization and controll over the station, as well as the genome project needs to have more traits, otherwise there will be little practical use for people who aren't cornering ourselves to a single genre, or small selection of music.
  4. Steve S
    December 09, 2005 at 3:34pm
    Wow! I love the site/service. Please keep encouraging the new, rare, and loacal talent. This is going to be a very expensive discovery I can tell (I need to increase the music purchasing budget). Good luck guys, it's obvious by the clean design and smooth operation that lots of hard work has gone into the site. This is the kind of subtle weaving of NLP/Search into a an audience experience that is going to propel the web to the next level (the real Web 2.0) For others that want some insight into what went into this service see: http://www.ventureblog.com/articles/indiv/2005/001216.html Me I'm blaming David Hornik for the melted plastic in my wallet. Cheers!
  5. Todd
    December 09, 2005 at 8:32pm
    How about Confessions of a Broken Heart by Lindsay Lohan? I hate her so much, but there's something about that song that I really like.
  6. Michael Zapruder
    December 10, 2005 at 10:45am
    hey all - thanks for the comments and suggestions! we DO read everything you folks send in or post here, so please keep the great ideas coming! hope you're checking out the stations I pimped up above, and hope you're having excellent holiday seasons so far! best, mz
  7. Meghin
    December 10, 2005 at 5:53pm
    I absolutly love Pandora! I love that I can get all my favorite bands. Ever consider getting some Teddy Geiger on here? ( I dont think it is on yet)
  8. Acas
    December 11, 2005 at 2:01am
    i'm spreading word about Pandora... The biggest problem I see it is that.. it doesnt have classical music at all?? I cannot find anything even of.. verdi, mozart, Beethoven. T_T Howcome?
  9. rr
    December 11, 2005 at 6:35pm
    Pandora is an absolutely brilliant idea that's long overdue. So please don't take offense if I bring up a few "issues" here and there. Issue 1: Experimental music (e.g., atonal, arhythmic, musique concrete, etc) is often shoehorned into a rock/jazz framework. Terms like "mellow rock instrumentation", "simple high hat part", etc are used to describe works that have nothing to do with music in the traditional sense. Someone with a solid background in avant garde music should be reviewing and describing these pieces on their own terms. Just a thought. I still luv ya! ;-)
  10. bo
    December 11, 2005 at 6:35pm
    Just started using it. You guys are fucking brilliant. Ive discovered more new music in the past day than I have in the past year.

Reply to Genewitch Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )