My deepest thanks to everyone who has been so supportive these past few weeks as we’ve confronted the stunning development with the internet radio royalty rates. It has been very heartening for all of
us to experience such a groundswell of support from our listeners.
can3 180 x 150.gif
Today, in coordination with a fast growing consortium of webcasters big and small, commercial and non-commercial, we are launching a campaign to reverse this pending disaster.
I hope you’ll join us. To add your voice to this movement, please take a minute to sign the PETITION urging your representatives in congress to act at the new website Savenetradio.org.
And please share this petition link with friends: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541
Our first goal is to demonstrate the magnitude of the injustice being committed here through the sheer volume of people it affects. We plan to rapidly follow this effort with the introduction of a bill in congress to protect ourselves once and for all from these predatory maneuvers.
The last couple weeks have made it quite clear to us that it’s going to take nothing short of a major public outcry to reverse the results of this concerted campaign by the RIAA to shutter internet radio.
As awareness of this ruling and its consequences are spreading through the musicians’ community, we are being joined daily by hundreds of artists and their organizations for whom internet radio has become such a promising new outlet.
Thanks again for your wonderful and on-going support. I hope you will become an
active part of this effort.
Best regards,
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. aldel
    April 23, 2007 at 3:38pm
    Sen. Feinstein: "less than a 5 percent increase of the rate in effect from 1998-2005." The discrepancy must come from the fact that the rates were substantially lowered in 2005. The 5% figure comes from comparing the rates from before May 31, 2005 with (one of) the future rates (not sure which one); whereas the higher figures we've seen everywhere else are compared with the rate in effect after that. So, what was web radio like under the old, higher rates? What were those rates?
  2. Matt
    April 23, 2007 at 5:40pm
    Similar to "N_in_Seattle" above, I also got a speedy response from David Price. Here is the letter to the Librarian of Congress that was mentioned in his response: http://tinyurl.com/2k5qup Nothing new, but good to see he is taking action...
  3. Luke Duncan
    April 24, 2007 at 12:33am
    The biggest problem with Pandora is that it is an internet radio station. That's the reason it's only available to U.S. listeners, and that's the reason it's under constant threat of copyright issues. So my question is, why doesn't simply do what it does best? Pandora is AMAZING at creating playlists on the fly. It can analyze my taste in music and help me discover new music. Why doesnt Pandora use this technology to improve offline listening? I would love to plug in my ipod and have itunes automatically update a pandora database customized to the music on my computer. This would give me the ability to listen to customized playlists based on my current mood. It would also allow itunes to make recomendations, based on your software, on what music I might want buy. Imagine a shuffle that intelligent! I think it could be easily achieved and allow Pandora's technology do what it was meant to do, rather than fight stupid battles with the RIAA. It might even give you the money to win those battles! Just a thought. If you're curious check on my post on this subject here: http://lukejduncan.blogspot.com/2007/04/dj-in-your-pocket.html - Luke
  4. Maria
    April 25, 2007 at 2:37pm
    Here is a response from Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of N.Y. _________________________________________ Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the proposed new royalty rates for online radio. I always enjoy hearing from New Yorkers about challenging public policy issues that are important to them, and I particularly appreciate your concerns regarding the future of I nternet radio. As you may know, I am a strong supporter of maintaining an open Internet that fosters innovation. No other communications medium in recent history has had such a profound impact on the expression of speech, education, the dissemination of information and the exchange of ideas. Online radio is a great example of how the Internet has helped to cultivate innovation and offered consumers access to new an d personalized information. However, the great technological and commercial progress that has come with the ongoing development of the Internet has also brought with it numerous new public policy dilemmas, such as how to balance copyright protection for music and other property with the innovation that the Internet continues to cultivate. As you know, in March 2007 the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) proposed a new online radio royalty structure, which would amend the system that has been in place since 2002 and establish a new scale for royalties charged to I nternet radio companies on a per-song, per-listener basis. The proposed rates will begin at 0.08 cents per song per listener, retroactive to January 1, 2006 , and will reach 0.19 cents per song per listener in 2010. The CRB has since announced that it will hear appeals of its previous ruling. Your concerns about this matter are significant and I hope that this period for appeal will enable the CRB to carefully consider points of view like yours. Thank you again for sharing your concerns regarding these important I nternet radio issues with me. Please be assured that I will continue to follow this issue closely and that I will keep your views in mind in the future if related measures come before the Senate. For more informa tion on my support for an open I nternet and other important issues before the United States Senate, please visit my website at http://clinton.senate.gov . Sincerely, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
  5. Antoine Dubuquoy
    April 26, 2007 at 3:03am
    Just posted something on my blog this morning to support Pandora. As I'm living outside of the US, what are your suggestions for foreign users to support your cause?
  6. Nate Freeman
    April 26, 2007 at 11:50am
    From Congressman Peter Welch (D) VT Dear Mr. Freeman, Thank you for contacting me about the recent royalty rate determination by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB). I appreciate your feedback on this issue. I understand your concern about the effect of this decision on internet radio broadcasters. The CRB issued its "Determination of Rates and Terms for Webcasting" on March 2, 2007. This rule establishes a retroactive rate of $0.0008 per performance of each song per listener. This rate will increase annually to $0.0019 in 2010. Interested parties have the opportunity both to request a rehearing of the CRB and to file an appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C. I will keep your thoughts in mind and carefully consider any measures that come before Congress that help ensure that internet radio broadcasters are able to remain financially viable while paying reasonable and fair royalties. Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to stay in touch, and I look forward to seeing you in Vermont soon. Sincerely, Peter Welch United States Congress
  7. Goulu
    April 27, 2007 at 7:30am
    Why don't you just move your radio to Canada, Switzerland, Tuvalu or any other really free country ?
  8. Andy
    May 02, 2007 at 1:26pm
    I'm loosing Pandora in 2 hours, which is kinda crappy because I recently bought a Squeezebox pretty much only because I absolutely adore Pandora... Well, there's really not much I can do from Austria, but keep bugging your representatives... Sad though that other critical issues like the controversial wars somehow don't get influenced by public opinion. Greetings, Andy
  9. Phabius
    May 03, 2007 at 8:34am
    I�m from Brazil and I love PANDORA RADIO!!! I�m very sad with a news of block brazilians users. I listen all day in my job and Pandora is the best radio online, because it�s organizated and faster than other streaming radios. I want Pandora in Brazil, pleeeease!!! hugs ;)
  10. Artis Ivis
    May 07, 2007 at 2:27pm
    Hi, I signed! I hope this is enough...

Reply to Matt Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )