My deepest thanks to everyone who has been so supportive these past few weeks as we’ve confronted the stunning development with the internet radio royalty rates. It has been very heartening for all of
us to experience such a groundswell of support from our listeners.
can3 180 x 150.gif
Today, in coordination with a fast growing consortium of webcasters big and small, commercial and non-commercial, we are launching a campaign to reverse this pending disaster.
I hope you’ll join us. To add your voice to this movement, please take a minute to sign the PETITION urging your representatives in congress to act at the new website Savenetradio.org.
And please share this petition link with friends: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541
Our first goal is to demonstrate the magnitude of the injustice being committed here through the sheer volume of people it affects. We plan to rapidly follow this effort with the introduction of a bill in congress to protect ourselves once and for all from these predatory maneuvers.
The last couple weeks have made it quite clear to us that it’s going to take nothing short of a major public outcry to reverse the results of this concerted campaign by the RIAA to shutter internet radio.
As awareness of this ruling and its consequences are spreading through the musicians’ community, we are being joined daily by hundreds of artists and their organizations for whom internet radio has become such a promising new outlet.
Thanks again for your wonderful and on-going support. I hope you will become an
active part of this effort.
Best regards,
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. ebow
    April 18, 2007 at 1:32pm
    Is there a particular bill or upcoming vote that I could ask my senators and rep to act on? I like to be able to cite a specific item and action I want them to support or oppose when I call their offices. I already had the petition faxed, but like others have pointed out, it's a bit vague and may not make the best arguments.
  2. Paola
    April 18, 2007 at 1:37pm
    Hi, I'm out of the US. I live in Colombia, and I'll like to join the petition, but the format doesn't include an option for the "out of the US". How, then, can I help? Don't want Pandora to die!
  3. MarioColbert
    April 18, 2007 at 2:57pm
    Since some of us may be writing to extremely right-wing republican representatives of some of the U.S. states, I'd like to point out that a re-write of the basic message may be necessary, since a lot of Right-wing republicans may not find the matter of "keeping new music alive" as "important issue to pay attention to." I added the following paragraph in the letter to my Representative: ----------------------------------- The legislation in question is exceptionally dangerous in the field of American academic and new music. At present, a staggering amount of internet broadcasters are in good standing with various societies of American composers, and provide a sound solution to broadcasting new music by American composers. As a proud representative of music schools of Texas A&M University and University of North Texas, I can not stress the importance of public broadcasting of music of contemporary Texan composers. Your radio dial may be an unofficial proof of my claim: you will be hard pressed to find American works for piano, choir, orchestra, chamber ensembles, and other staggering works. Internet broadcasting establishes a private sector of funds necessary for exposure of American and Texan composers. Since for the past 50 years many academic establishments relied greatly on State support, the new methods of broadcasting via the Internet contribute to diminishing need on financial support from the State. ------------------------------------ I suggest that in your address of your representative you will attempt to write something that highlights the immediate need for the State to become interested. Strength of numbers alone would do, but this issue has not been promoted widely, and we need every single bit of support that we can get. The least you can do, is call your community radio station, and submit this information as a PSA. To the uninitiated: don't call some classic rock ClearChannel one. Call the one you think nobody ever listens to on the right-hand side of the FM dial. This is an outrage, and it must be stopped immediately.
  4. David
    April 19, 2007 at 4:17am
    I love this radio. I hope the best. Unfortunatelly I am not from the US. Please everybody there sign there petition!
  5. DWAYNE BROWN
    April 19, 2007 at 8:52am
    PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THESE RADIO STATIONS AWAY, MANY OF MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS IN THE GOSPEL WORLD LISTEN TO THE MANY STATIONS THAT ARE ON THE INTERNET. LIVES ARE BEING SAVED BY THESE STATIONS, PEOPLE ARE COMING TOGETHER IN COMMUNITY TO STOP THE DRUGS AND TEACHING THE YOUNG PEOPLE TO STAY IN SCHOOL.THIS IS A WAY FOR THE PEOPLE TO HELP ONE ANOTHER.PLEASE KEPT HOPE ALIVE ON THE INTERNET. LOVE,DWAYNE BROWN.
  6. Planetp
    April 19, 2007 at 10:50am
    Again, I keep saying this to everybody, and now to the owners here at Pandora. Why can't you simply move the music core of the business OFFSHORE? Problem solved. "The Internet looks at censorship as damage and routes around it" - John Gilmore. "The Internet looks at Copyright Laws as economic censorship and routes around it" - Mark Pesce.
  7. Dave Holbertson
    April 19, 2007 at 11:27am
    Pandora can't move its servers offshore, as they would still be hit with the same restrictions. It wouldn't help to be off of U.S. soil. I agree that the SaveNetRadio.org site needs improvement and clarification, though. I just wrote to my Congresspeople, but I'm not clear on what I just asked them to do. Are we asking Congress to draft legislation re-considering the role of the CRB?
  8. Judi
    April 19, 2007 at 4:03pm
    Thank you for setting things up so that it was easy to email our state representatives to SAVE INTERNET RADIO! I LOVE Pandora and have been using it to listen to jazz music...it helps me find new artists and new music and I enjoy listening while I'm "vegging out" at the computer playing solitaire!
  9. Karsten Aaen
    April 20, 2007 at 4:26am
    HI :) I just want to wish pandora all the best - and hope that its and many other internet radios are still available in the future :) I enjoy listenining to many different forms of radio shows, including ones with cool music. I just hope that maybe someday the big someone will get a wake-up call and realize that there, in fact, preventing and hindering the technological future. As I see internet radio as the future for radio... All the best from a Dane :)
  10. Marc Eckhert
    April 20, 2007 at 10:03am
    Here is the response that I received from my Senator, Dianne Feinstein. --------------------------- Dear Mr. Eckhert: Thank you for writing to me with your concerns about the Copyright Royalty Board's recent decision on the statutory rate for music webcasting. I understand your concerns and appreciate the opportunity to respond. Under the Copyright Royalty and Distribution Reform Act of 2004, Congress - at the behest of webcasters - created the Copyright Royalty Board which consists of three judges. By law, the judges are a venue of last resort and are required to periodically set rates for various statutory copyright licenses in the event that webcasters and copyright owners are unable to reach voluntary agreements. In the absence of an agreement, the judges set a rate designed to approximate the fair-market value that webcasters should pay to artists and performers for streaming their music for the years 2006-2010. The new rate that was established is less than a 5 percent increase of the rate in effect from 1998-2005. Although a few webcasters have recently claimed that the process was unfair, it was not arbitrary and allowed representatives from all sides to make their cases. The judges began the proceedings in 2005, and heard testimony from dozens of witnesses and conducted a comprehensive review of tens of thousands of pages of evidence submitted by all interested parties over an 18-month period. While some webcasters may choose to pay this rate, independent negotiations between the parties are still possible and this new statutory rate would serve as the ceiling. Additionally, if it appears that the new rate will reduce the overall amount of webcasting - as well as the overall income from this stream of revenue - the copyright owners may still have an incentive to offer webcasters a rate less than the statutory rate. I am a strong believer in intellectual property rights and believe that artists and performers have earned the right to be fairly compensated for the broadcast of their works by webcasters who benefit - financially and otherwise - from their talents. Without fair compensation, these artists would not create their works. Once again, thank you for writing. Should legislation addressing this new rate or the rate-setting process come before the Senate, I will be sure to keep your concerns in mind. In the meantime, if you should have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, DC staff at (202) 224-3841. Sincerely yours, Dianne Feinstein United States Senator Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at http://feinstein.senate.gov/issue.html.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )