Update: The Beta version of the desktop application described in this blog was pretty much a failed experiment for us. We learned a lot though and just today launched a totally new desktop player that is part of our Pandora One subscription offering. Learn all about Pandora One here: Pandora One, the new destkop app here: Pandora One Desktop and share your comments with us here: Blog Post announcing Pandora One
And for posterity, here’s the original post on the “old style” desktop app:

We’ve always wanted to find a simple way to deliver Pandora as a desktop application — it’s probably been on our to do list longer than any single feature. Today we’re dipping our toe into those waters for the first time with the release of a Beta version of Pandora Desktop.
Truth is, this little guy is pretty simple. It’s just a way to pull Pandora out of a browser window and make it accessible with a single click from the Windows tray or Mac dock. We’ve built in quick access to common Pandora features from the tray/dock menu (pause, change stations, etc). If nothing else it ensures that you’ll never accidentally browse away from Pandora and lose your stream.
One big caveat: it’s important to understand that at Pandora we have big licensing and streaming bills to pay and from the beginning we’ve been working hard to figure out that piece of the puzzle. That means that advertising is an integral part of the Pandora experience and in an effort to keep the advertising as unobtrusive as possible we’ve focused on graphical ads rather than audio ads. The one downside to that is that we need lots of pixels to run the ads, so one thing you’ll find with the desktop app is it’s not some tiny little widget. As nice as that would be, it would make it basically impossible for us to cover our costs with advertising. So, at least for now, the main window of Pandora Desktop (which you can minimize) looks pretty much exactly like the Pandora.com home page.
One little caveat: this is a Beta and we’re asking you to take a look and send us your thoughts and feedback to beta-feedback@pandora.com. We’re interested in everything from bug reports, to feature requests, to commentary about the general utility of the application.
The application is built using Adobe AIR, which should automatically install if you don’t already have it. If you have trouble with that step, there are links for a two-step manual install too.
Known issues: performance of the Mac version is more CPU intesive than we’d like it to be. This seems to be an Adobe AIR issue and we’re working with Adobe to understand what we might be able to do to improve the situation.
To get started, visit this page: http://www.pandora.com/desktop and don’t forget to send us your feedback.

Comments

1. Alex
    July 10, 2009 at 1:49pm
    Is the Pause on Close (minimize to tray) a feature or a Bug? I don't want to have to go to the tray icon, right click and click play every time I close the window.
  2. Matt
    August 23, 2009 at 6:20am
    I'd add to the cacophony of requests for a Linux version. I am a paying Pandora One customer who uses Linux exclusively. Thanks!
  3. David
    August 24, 2009 at 6:57am
    1. Hotkeys that work anywhere (not just when the app has focus). 2. Integration with keyboard media keys. 3. Volume control that works with one click instead of three! (#2 would answer the need.) 4. Vote for Linux version. 5. Vote for Pandora support of G1 Android phone. Thank you.
  4. Trevor
    August 28, 2009 at 9:39am
    Still waiting on media keyboard shortcuts. If this is a limitation of AIR, then perhaps using AIR as a platform for the premium desktop client is a mistake. OpenPandora (Windows) supports media keys, and PandoraBoy (Mac) supports customizable global keyboard shortcuts and the Apple remote. Both are free apps.
  5. qtrolazyg
    August 31, 2009 at 7:06pm
    Any new versions of Pandora One, yet?
  6. Anonymous
    October 01, 2009 at 2:32am
    This application isn't SUPPOSED to give you more features than what you'd get running Pandora in a web browser; it's merely supposed to provide a means of running the player in a standalone fashion.
  7. ben james
    November 16, 2009 at 10:51am
    i've installed the pandora desktop app on my teaching computer (so I have access to nothing), it's installed, but I can't open it since I can't find it. I need a way to open it without being able to get to it. I can't uninstall it and reinstall in a location where I can get to. I should have installed in my docs instead of c drive where I can't get to. Any ideas?
  8. Ryan, Pandora Support
    November 24, 2009 at 2:24pm
    @ben james It sounds like you'll need your network administrator to uninstall the application for you, before you can reinstall it in a more suitable location.
  9. Charles Dumont
    November 30, 2009 at 9:45am
    One very cool feature for Pandora Desktop would be if you could control it from the iPhone ala Apple remote with iTunes. I've got a Dell Zino with speakers as my MP3 jukebox. With Pandora Desktop installed and an iPhone remote it would blow my mind.
  10. Tootendeace
    December 02, 2009 at 11:07am
    Salute everybody, I am new to this website, I have just subscribed and the webpage looks awesome. I am quite tech savy so I will be more then happy to help if any person has any tech-related issues. Anyway, I am a first time visitor who hopes to become a everyday visitor :) Much obliged Tootendeace