Much to our chagrin, on the heels of our being forced to block virtually our entire international listening audience, we now have to add Canada to the list (beginning May 16th). We had been hopeful that the licensing situation with our Northern friends might have some hope of imminent resolution. However, after a tough week, and in the wake of the substantial attention the blocking has clearly brought to this issue, it’s been made clear to us that we cannot continue streaming into Canada.
No need to reiterate just how difficult this is. It’s just a terrible thing for music that there’s not even a licensing structure available that would allow a webcaster to stream legally outside the U.S.
I’ll reiterate our commitment to fighting as hard as we can to fix this absurd problem – we only hope that reform will come soon so that we can get back to the business of listening and discovery.
My sincerest apologies.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Tim
    February 25, 2009 at 7:27pm
    Please, figure this out guys. I know you are dealing with Canadian CCRT b****it. We love Pandora and have been waiting patiently for over a year. Let us know what we can do. You provided us with an amazing service that is unmatched by anyone. WE WILL PAY FOR YOUR SERVICE. CANADA LOVES PANDORA.
  2. nimer
    April 07, 2009 at 4:26pm
    so youtube is okay, but pandora isnt? ill never understand how retarded government works. atleast people bought shit off pandora, and it was only audio, meanwhile, youtube posts videos and audio, and no one buys shit off it. i never used it, but i was going to start (with the palm pre thats coming out)
  3. rob
    April 15, 2009 at 10:24am
    has anyone found something similar offered in canada?
  4. Scotty the Hoser
    April 23, 2009 at 5:34am
    I still miss you Pandora. Please come back to me. Last night I had a dream that I held you in my arms again. Every day that goes by without you is an eternity. Please come back to me. -Hooser
  5. James
    May 16, 2009 at 11:49pm
    ok I'm Canadian and all I can say is WTF??? Seriously there needs to be revolution here. Hulu, and pandora... great sites that someones got a stick up their butt about letting canada access those site... I don't get it...
  6. Alee – Listener Advocate
    May 18, 2009 at 12:14pm
    @James--as we've explained above, it's not something presently in our control. Licensing music legally to Canadian listeners requires a licensing agreement that could take quite some time to negotiate. It IS unfortunate but we do look forward to resolving this issue in the future. Hope you and our other Canadian fans can understand; we appreciate your patience in the meantime. -A
  7. Jackie
    June 01, 2009 at 9:55pm
    "1. Is this a US or a Canadian issue? The short answer to that is that it's a Canadian issue. There is simply NO license currently available to stream legally into Canada, for anyone. Not just Pandora. Int'l law mandates that all performers be paid and there is no body that has the rights to grant and administer this fee. So a 'label deal' doesn't actually do the trick. You need the equivalent of the DMCA/SoundExchange combo that exists in the US." I'd like to point out that this is bullshit. Almost every broadcast radio station in canada also streams their programming online. I can listen to radio stations across the country just by finding their website. I can't listen to American stations, but I can listen to Canadian ones. It can't be that hard if the local rock station in nowhere, northern ontario can broadcast online.
  8. Alee – Listener Advocate
    June 02, 2009 at 12:22pm
    @Jackie--Just to clarify, the quote you found refers to internet radio stations that broadcast from outside of Canada. You're referring to intracontinental radio services. Broadcasting TO Canada, FROM Canada is not an issue. As well, you are referring to terrestrial radio stations that are available online. Terrestrial radio (anything you can tune in to with a standard radio receiver) is not subject to the same strictures as online radio. Even when they stream online, it's still not the same thing as what we do, from a legal perspective. I bring this up not to chastise you but as an attempt to clarify the misconceptions we are dealing with in this matter. Hope that explains it. -Alee
  9. Kyle
    June 04, 2009 at 9:29am
    I'm not complaining. Canadians can download music freely with no punishment. We just can't upload.
  10. me
    June 06, 2009 at 9:39am
    make a huge huge huge petition from all provinces of canada so that in this time of crisis we can help artist by discovering them cause im tired of hearing pop music everywhere