mike_arrington.jpg
Over the weekend I drove up from Oakland to Napa Valley and listened to This American Life to pass the time. As I listened to this week’s stories I was struck by the critical role the background music played. Whether it’s just a sonic backdrop for a moment of storytelling or a mechanism to transition from one scene to the next, the music provided important glue and subtext to the show. It wouldn’t have been the same experience without it.
On Friday night Pandora had the great fortune to provide the “soundtrack” for the 7th TechCrunch Party.
TechCrunch is a website that covers emerging companies on the new Internet as well as the mobile and consumer electronic domains. All of this is the brainchild of Mike Arrington who I was lucky enough to connect with at last year’s inaugural BarCamp. Mike’s covered Pandora’s evolution ever since.
So, as the nearly 700 guests at Mike’s party mingled, Pandora played DJ and – just like This American Life – the party had a completely different edge depending on what was spinning.
This was the 7th TechCrunch party and Pandora has been the DJ at just about all of them. It’s been a great way to get to know the bright people working on new web products and services as well as familiar faces from around the blogosphere like Robert Scoble, Thomas Hawk, and Scott Beale.
If you’ve let Pandora be the DJ at your own party, let us know how it went in the comments. We’d love to hear about it.
Photo Credit Scott Beale / Laughing Squid

Comments

1. Joana
    August 28, 2006 at 1:41pm
    Suggestion: To change my stations randomly, so I can listen to different styles w/o having to include too different styles/musics in one station because the results are unpredictable. Pandora is great! I discovered it in a Brazilian magazine. Thanks.
  2. Julio Ginel
    August 28, 2006 at 7:51pm
    This has got to be my dream come true! For a while i was listening to internet radio which tends to play stuff i am not fond of sprinkled with some good tunes. This "Pandora" plays 90% of what i like which is some good damn odds! Thank you and count on me to give info if it helps.
  3. dintbo
    August 29, 2006 at 4:00am
    Fantastic site, well done! Really enjoying it so far. Would love to see some classical music in there as well. Just a thought! Keep up the good work.
  4. Titatuh
    August 30, 2006 at 1:34am
    Hi, I like Pandora very much. It overcomes any traditional radio station, on my opinion. The music choice is wide, BUT... I tried to search Pandora for world music (Russian and Chineese music for example) and it was nothing there. So... I think Pandora is great as is, but can be even greater if will add some world music!
  5. Ramya Sharma
    August 30, 2006 at 5:24am
    I got introduced to Pandora about 9 months back and have been playing it ever since, every single day! I've introduced Pandora to a few of my friends and all of us swear by it now! It's the best thing to happen to a music lover! And ofcourse the last 5 weekend bashes in my apt have had nothing but Pandora and my neighbor was jealous of my music collection, till I told him about Pandora... and now he plays it too! Cheers! Ramya Mumbai, India
  6. auntyemm
    August 30, 2006 at 5:51am
    Hi all! I love Pandora! she has introduced me to so many new artists and I love being able to shut down the music I don't love. I have a different station for lots of different moods. The one I like best is the instrumental station. I listen mostly at work so I need the soft music to keep me on task. If anyone has someone I haven't found yet just let me know. I'm always loking for new songs. And if you want to share just let me know and I'll send it over. Email auntyemm@aol.com
  7. me
    August 30, 2006 at 7:19am
    wow. pandora rocks. i fell in love with some music i never heard! i visit everyday! luv u guys!
  8. Terry
    August 30, 2006 at 2:19pm
    Fantastic site. I've got you on 4 of my computers. My only request is to get a library of classical music also. I haven't been able to get one clssical station going no matter what artist or song I enter. But I love you anyway. Keep up the great music.
  9. Kathryn D.
    September 01, 2006 at 1:57pm
    I love Pandora and can think of only one thing to improve it. I want the option to specifically request a song by the artist. In other words I have created a radio station with one of my favorite artists as the main music - but can't seem to get my favorite songs from that specific artist - from the artist's past albums.
  10. Peter M
    September 03, 2006 at 3:55am
    PANDORA yesss that what'S all about...;D even a young 20 years old homie...;D from the beatifull country POLAND is pushing the borders of PANDORA further and further....... Peace to ya'll

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )