mike_arrington.jpg
Over the weekend I drove up from Oakland to Napa Valley and listened to This American Life to pass the time. As I listened to this week’s stories I was struck by the critical role the background music played. Whether it’s just a sonic backdrop for a moment of storytelling or a mechanism to transition from one scene to the next, the music provided important glue and subtext to the show. It wouldn’t have been the same experience without it.
On Friday night Pandora had the great fortune to provide the “soundtrack” for the 7th TechCrunch Party.
TechCrunch is a website that covers emerging companies on the new Internet as well as the mobile and consumer electronic domains. All of this is the brainchild of Mike Arrington who I was lucky enough to connect with at last year’s inaugural BarCamp. Mike’s covered Pandora’s evolution ever since.
So, as the nearly 700 guests at Mike’s party mingled, Pandora played DJ and – just like This American Life – the party had a completely different edge depending on what was spinning.
This was the 7th TechCrunch party and Pandora has been the DJ at just about all of them. It’s been a great way to get to know the bright people working on new web products and services as well as familiar faces from around the blogosphere like Robert Scoble, Thomas Hawk, and Scott Beale.
If you’ve let Pandora be the DJ at your own party, let us know how it went in the comments. We’d love to hear about it.
Photo Credit Scott Beale / Laughing Squid

Comments

1. Ryan Edwards
    August 24, 2006 at 2:49pm
    You know what would be a cool feature? To be able to shuffle your stations. So it picks random songs from random stations. That way you arent tied down. COOL!!
  2. Graduss
    August 25, 2006 at 12:57am
    hi, i'm from lithuania and i'm listening it all the time, at work at home and etc. I have created my personal station about rock from 7 artist, called it "hot rock" and i'm crazy about it! Thank you for such a new artist for me, like kazier chiefs, ok go, queens of the stone age and chikinki!!!
  3. Vegard
    August 25, 2006 at 6:55am
    I have to say, this is one of the most ingenious and innovative ideas I've seen in my many years of computer experience and developing. I use this just about every second when I'm on the computer now, while my 50GB music collection is gathering dust in the meanwhile ;) I've recommended it to all my friends, and have made a fair share of people start using her. Cheers for a great idea, Vegard
  4. Cab0oze
    August 25, 2006 at 8:26am
    I agree with everyone here... Thanks you for doing this, work is a lot more enjoyable now! I think you should consider getting a forum, let people talk to each other about their musical discoveries and such = P
  5. Abraham Lincoln
    August 25, 2006 at 4:06pm
    I was introduced to Pandora by a friend from Mexico. I used it selections and have since added a link to my blog. It has worked out very well. You would have to go there to see what I have done. Anyway, I would like to suggest that you make a small image that can open when people like myself link your music/Pandora on our blogs. As it is we get a whole page and while that is OK for those who really are interested in the music and how to get it, it is often overwhelming to a casual surfer.
  6. Zack
    August 25, 2006 at 9:17pm
    well, I've never said this before, but your FREE webradio is worth SOOO much more. I am a broka ass nucca, but the quality of chosen music astounds me every day. honestly, the visual ads mean nothing since I can minimize the window. Look, I think you are doing something special, but I hope you realize your marketing potential. contact me anytime for a glowing reference! Thanks for the new music! Zack
  7. James Conner
    August 26, 2006 at 9:22pm
    I actually went out and bought three Squeezebox's so that I an have pandora DJ all of my parties.. I think to date my parties have sold 30 or so Squeeze box's and god only knows how many pandora memberships.. Keep up the good work.
  8. mari
    August 27, 2006 at 1:39pm
    I love pandora. but lately this changing the page theme (to red, reloading the rest of the page) is getting really annoying. can there please be an option to disable it? thanks.
  9. Julian Murdoch
    August 28, 2006 at 6:12am
    I use it at every single party we have, which is about one a week.
  10. frank bell
    August 28, 2006 at 10:04am
    this website is absolutely amazing... thanks for this! cheers! |fb|

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )