mike_arrington.jpg
Over the weekend I drove up from Oakland to Napa Valley and listened to This American Life to pass the time. As I listened to this week’s stories I was struck by the critical role the background music played. Whether it’s just a sonic backdrop for a moment of storytelling or a mechanism to transition from one scene to the next, the music provided important glue and subtext to the show. It wouldn’t have been the same experience without it.
On Friday night Pandora had the great fortune to provide the “soundtrack” for the 7th TechCrunch Party.
TechCrunch is a website that covers emerging companies on the new Internet as well as the mobile and consumer electronic domains. All of this is the brainchild of Mike Arrington who I was lucky enough to connect with at last year’s inaugural BarCamp. Mike’s covered Pandora’s evolution ever since.
So, as the nearly 700 guests at Mike’s party mingled, Pandora played DJ and – just like This American Life – the party had a completely different edge depending on what was spinning.
This was the 7th TechCrunch party and Pandora has been the DJ at just about all of them. It’s been a great way to get to know the bright people working on new web products and services as well as familiar faces from around the blogosphere like Robert Scoble, Thomas Hawk, and Scott Beale.
If you’ve let Pandora be the DJ at your own party, let us know how it went in the comments. We’d love to hear about it.
Photo Credit Scott Beale / Laughing Squid

Comments

1. michael arrington
    August 21, 2006 at 8:36pm
    Tom, THANKS for doing this - you are an integral part of out parties and always will be...unless we find someone better. :-)
  2. Hornswaggled
    August 22, 2006 at 3:07pm
    I was tempted to go to that party. No tickets and didnt feel like putting up the dough on ebay for the 2 tickets they auctioned off (techcrunch). Come to think of it I think I discovered Pandora while reading over at techcrunch!
  3. clemence
    August 23, 2006 at 6:55am
    Hi there, i quite like pandora and listen to it at work all the time, but i'm a bit dissabpointed that you don't have film music classics, like the pirates of the caribean sountrack, or the kill bill soundtracks, not to mention that there is nothing by john williams...
  4. treepie
    August 23, 2006 at 9:31am
    Pandora it's my best friend here at work. Do you need to add a graphical 3d realtime presentation to your funky gui? HIRE ME! see you, and, yes, TRY TREEPIE :D
  5. treepie
    August 23, 2006 at 9:32am
  6. Liz
    August 23, 2006 at 2:04pm
    I love this site. Thought i'd let you know- you all rock!! Whoever you may be! (unless you've killed someone or cheated on your girlfriend, because that's just never cool) :P
  7. Roland
    August 23, 2006 at 2:27pm
    It funny that this subject came up. I had my fifth anual garden party last month. The turn out was good, the weather fine, and the vibe was cool as Miles Davis. No one knew the mysterious guest Pandora. In the past the first two years I had this party. I would have the speaker wires trailing through the house from the living room into the backyard pumping music from the carasel disc player. The third and fourth year, I got smart and loaded the Microsoft media player with 20 gigs of music on the kitchen computer from my C.D. collection. Still it was background music. Jazz, Blues, Old School R&B and folk rock. People were always too buzzin on the Margaritas and hand shakin Martinis made by yours truly to comment about the music. This year was funny, Pandora was in charge of the music, she was pummpin through my THX speaker system. Sangria and Cuba Libra's was on the poison list and they were flowin. Good people chatting around the Koi Pond and smelling the lovely roses and the living was easy. A couple commented, this was their first year here. I was playing John Legend Radio. They said who is that? so I broke it down to them. Then I switch to another station that I call double olve music, it was a pink martini station. A freind of mine walked in the kitchen and asked for the CD cover of the artist playing at that time. I had to expose my little secret. "No, no, my brother." "This aint from my collection but check it out." I showed him the lady and how she worked and he was like "Damn thats some serious bad ass." (I just love comments in slang) It started a conversation with others, then the request started coming in. I think I filled 85% of the request, not bad I say if I could teach Pandora how to scratch music for the middle age hip hoppers, I would have hit 95% :) Bright Moments Roland
  8. Irene Terrazas
    August 23, 2006 at 5:28pm
    Ilove ur program!!!!
  9. ;O
    August 24, 2006 at 12:58pm
    Great site! I love it!
  10. Daniel
    August 24, 2006 at 1:39pm
    My wife used Pandora for a winterguard banquet last spring. She asked all the girls to email her with their favorite song, and then created a station using the picks. Worked out great!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )