This is a very sad day for Pandora, and for me personally. Today we reduced our staff from 140 to 120 employees. Like virtually every company, Pandora is not immune to the challenges presented by the current economic turmoil. We are trying to react quickly and responsibly to the new environment.
We cherish our employees. We have painstakingly built a team that I am tremendously proud of – there’s not a person in our company who hasn’t contributed substantially to what we do, and who we are. The twenty folks we let go today were no exception.
I started this company nine years ago. I lived through some very tough times back in 2001-2002. But letting go of an employee will, for me at least, always be the most gut-wrenching thing there is. We tried our best today to treat these friends and colleagues with great understanding, and with as much financial support for their transition as we can afford.
There are tough times ahead for the economy, but our listenership is growing rapidly, the Internet radio royalty rate resolution seems finally near, and the explosion of mobile devices like the iPhone are opening up a world of opportunity for internet radio to expand off the desktop. Moreover, our ad sales are growing so well that, not only did we not make any reductions there, we need to continue to hire more.
It’s just hard to be excited about all that today.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. InvestorBlogger
    October 18, 2008 at 8:01am
    Well, that is a pity... esp. when your competition is chomping at the bit to take your market share and your listenership. Still think cutting off your international readership was a smart decision? Mmm. I know that Last.FM thinks it was a great decision... They really like me! Kenneth
  2. michael wright
    October 18, 2008 at 9:54am
    well that really sucks tim is there any way i can get some friends from the colleg to help out im a little to young so yeah
  3. Steve
    October 18, 2008 at 10:37am
    Terribly sorry to hear the news. Please keep up the great work. My paid subscription to Pandora just lapsed and this news (though it shouldn't have taken this) is the reminder I needed to open my wallet and pay for what I enjoy. Vote with your dollars, people! Best of luck to Tim and the remaining staff -- wishing you great success. And wishing the best to the staff leaving. Here's hoping you find a great job quickly.
  4. morphita
    October 18, 2008 at 1:27pm
    hi Tim, :) ... that's how it is. Life is not rose color all the time. Today we have tomorrow maybe not, we should be ready. i'm sure those people will find job easy after working for Pandora. In the US is way easier to find job than in most countries (even jobs like bartending and serving tables are so well paid here). They will be fine, lets pray for them :). I wanted to ask you... Are you single? dont u want a smart pretty girl :)? blesss it up
  5. Randy
    October 18, 2008 at 3:11pm
    Sorry to hear about your need to lay people off. It's gonna be hard times I fear for a while. Love the station and the choices. However, the Loisiana contingent is sorely lacking. While I realize Cajun and Zydeco are somewhat limited markets, they represent two genres of music with a rich history and need to be saved from obscurity. Please consider doing some research. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you'd like. My friends and I are addicted to the dance around these styles, and I would be happy to promote Pandora with them if you can increase the play list.
  6. rainman
    October 18, 2008 at 4:16pm
    It's a roller-coaster, but if folks out there enjoy the product, that you few insightful people have put together half as much as I, there is NO DOUBT that you will be calling them back soon. I tell people everywhere about Pandora, but few I run into have heard of the sight. Hours and hours of exploratory bliss. sorry for the set back rainman
  7. susan
    October 18, 2008 at 5:31pm
    I am sad to hear this. Our company just discovered all you have to offer. I hope things pick up for you.
  8. lisa
    October 18, 2008 at 6:37pm
    Just a thought...why didn't you put those 20 people in the sales department where you need employees?
  9. Jessisan
    October 18, 2008 at 8:51pm
    Its nice to see someone from the top care about what you do and who it effects.
  10. mike preston
    October 18, 2008 at 11:57pm
    everybody seems to be thinking backwards in times like this people need to work in order for things to get better working people pay taxes,shop,and do banking laying folks off kills the economy...if everybody worked our taxes would be lower.items on the shelf my not be cheaper however curculating money is very good .. so if you want to help get those folks back to work asap