Pandora-10BillionThumbs-DeruloWestergren5-16-11.jpgJason DeRulo stops by to get a plaque to commemorate our 10 Billionth Thumb.

Just over a week ago, on Sunday, April 24th at 4:46pm, “Ridin’ Solo” by Jason DeRulo received Pandora’s 10 billionth thumb. 10 BILLION…wow!

Of the many milestones we’ve hit over the past 6 years, this is perhaps the one that makes us most proud. We created Pandora to bring personalization to radio, to allow each individual to determine the sound of their stations, and to make it as simple and intuitive as possible. There is no greater evidence for us of meeting that objective than the ongoing engagement you have all shown in your use of the thumbs.

Not a day goes by that we don’t work to improve how the Music Genome Project works. And there is no greater impact on the project’s development than the contribution you are all making, one thumb at a time, to our understanding of how to build great playlists. Our team — musicians, mathematicians, statisticians, radio programmers, software engineers, music lovers and more — absorbs the feedback from you daily, looking for new insights and adjustments that your contributions reveal.

What started as an improbable effort by a group of musicians, around a dining room table, is now a massive project, involving tens of millions of avid music fans. Little by little we are all collectively creating a music discovery engine that might just deliver on the grand promise of the web — a completely personalized listening experience for every user, and an effective outlet for tens of thousands of deserving artists. We now have over 800,000 songs in our collection, and over 95% of them play in a given month.

All of us are humbled by the continued engagement you have shown with Pandora, not only with your thumbs, but also your general advice, suggestions, and critiques…by the thousands. We listen intently. And it is all adding up.

We will continue to work every day to get better, as this task has no end. And that’s what makes this so much fun.

Thanks again for being a part of this.

Tim (Founder)
P.S. That 10 billionth thumb was, indeed, a thumb-up. ☺

Comments

1. BRITTAN
    May 19, 2011 at 9:15am
    I was going to upgrade, even used my trial, and now it is messing up on me. I am not willing to pay for something that won't work. Please fix your bugs and I will purchase Pandora One. Thanks!
  2. Michael
    May 24, 2011 at 3:49pm
    Hi Tim, Just wanted to let you know i am enjoying Pandora Radio very much. I travel back and forth to South Africa and hope this will bring some of home with me. One comment, when i tried to create account on my iPhone the request for a 4 digit birth year could not be completed as the field was only 3 characters long. I tried but ended up creating the account on my MAC and logging in from iPhone. Thanks for this app, it is very nice already. Kind Regards, Michael
  3. Outlier Babe
    May 27, 2011 at 6:26pm
    Dear Tim, Will get to thumb in a moment-- Saw you on Charlie Rose, think it was, long, long ago, and was impressed that you clearly believed in your work as a mission (but then, am Asperger's, so you could have been lying out your *ss, and I wouldn't have known it...sigh.) Anyhow, finally, at tooo-long-last, started my first Pandora station today. Like it. Thank you for providing marvelous gift to me, for free, when I have done nothing for you. Generous human being. Now, to that thumb. Very definitely a big, honking MAN's thumb. And hand. As is the guy laughing at the new comedy Pandora. Okay, so you have only two genders from which to choose (usually), but, gosh, why is the choice always the male one? So off-putting to open-eyed women, so down-putting to closed-eyed ones, such as growing girls, and so un-enlightening to takin'-it-for-granted-all-the-time growing-boys-and-men. Take the point? Thx.
  4. Jenny
    May 30, 2011 at 10:30am
    I'm pretty much addicted to Pandora now! I love how it reminds me of music I still love but kinda forgot about. Awesome job!!! Best app I have by far :)
  5. Ed
    May 31, 2011 at 6:39am
    Is there a way to turn of the 'live' music feature? If not, can you guys create one? I don't like listening to the music, then hearing the screaming cheering fans blow out my eardrums. :-) Yes, I know I can turn down the volume, but would rather listen to the music at normal levels and not have to turn it down when the fans come on. Thanks.
  6. Lisa
    May 31, 2011 at 8:56pm
    I'm really enjoying listening most of the time and have discovered some wonderful music on here. I appreciate it. One way you can improve, though, is to quit playing opera on my stations. I haven't added any opera or done anything indicating I might like it, but almost every song sometimes is opera. I hate opera! Thanks.
  7. Mike Frederickson
    June 01, 2011 at 9:44am
    Love your site and I don't mind the ads, but could you PLEASE turn down the volume on the them? I practically jump out of my chair when the ads start.
  8. Saikat Sarkar
    June 01, 2011 at 1:57pm
    Hey Tim, just a quick note to let you know that I love Pandora very, very much. It's one of my close friends who introduced me to Pandora. Honestly speaking, it was not a 'love in first sight (listen)' experience, but never knew when I absolutely fall in love and today I am simply addicted to Pandora. Keep it up good work.
  9. Grecia Andrade
    June 08, 2011 at 10:58pm
    Pandora is great. Can You Find A Way To Keep the songs From Breaking Up. Other than that it's a really good source for the best music.
  10. Amado Ohland
    June 09, 2011 at 12:07pm
    Feature Request: Presently, each station consistes a list of Artist Seeds, Song Seeds, Thumbed-up Songs, and Thumbed-Down Songs. On the "Station Information" page for each, presently we have the option to "Remove Checked." I'd like options to "Move Checked to [pick from drop-down] Station" and "Copy Checked to [pick from drop-down] Station." That way, I could re-build my stations based on the hours of listening I've done, but get a more predictable, consistent mix on each one according to how I've tailored it. Please consider doing something like this for us!