Today is a big day for Pandora: after more than a year of planning, design, engineering, and beta testing we’re launching an entirely new Pandora website.

In late 2010 we started with a clean sheet of paper, challenging ourselves to create a new internet radio experience that was fast, social, and easy while still being familiar to the tens of millions of people that listen to Pandora each month.

The result is “New Pandora” — the same personalized radio experience you’ve enjoyed for years, wrapped in a new HTML5 look that makes it more responsive, easier to use, and better integrated with the friends and music lovers in your life. We also think it looks more beautiful than ever, but we’re biased.

For the last two months we’ve been gradually rolling a preview of the new site out to our listeners, taking their feedback, fixing bugs and making improvements here and there. With all those little fixes and refinements in place, today we’re rolling out the new site for everyone.

Some of our new features include:

Simplified Station Creation – Enhanced auto-complete choices and personalized suggestions make creating new stations and discovering new music or comedy more intuitive and personal.

Discovery of Music with Friends – Enhanced listener profiles and a new music feed offer a centralized place to find, like and comment on what friends and like-minded listeners are discovering and enjoying on Pandora. The music feed will roll out slowly over the course of the coming days. In addition to the prominent new “share” button, stations now have their own URLs, making it super easy for listeners to share favorite stations via Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Improved Control – Prominent and ubiquitous access to familiar player control buttons including Play, Pause, Thumbs-Up and Thumbs-Down icons helps listeners to easily personalize their music and comedy stations. A new shuffle feature also allows listeners to shuffle any collection of stations to add variety to their listening experience.

Enhanced Artist Information – An option to learn more about the music, find lyrics, read artists’ biographies and expand the album art size.

Unlimited listening – We’ve removed the 40 hours listening cap – you can now listen as much as you want for free.
The new social feed will roll out over the next few days to everyone and we want to remind you that you control of how others see your Pandora profile page and listening activity. Here’s a link to view and to edit your privacy settings. http://www.pandora.com/#/account/privacy

We’d love to hear what you think of our latest project. To let us know what you think, to get help, or to find answers please visit http://help.pandora.com.

Comments

1. Brian Engel
    September 21, 2011 at 7:00am
    I would really like an option to not have the Pandora website start the in-browser playback. I listen to Pandora through the Windows Gadget for the sidebar, and now whenever I click on a song title, artist name or album name I have another version of Pandora start playing. This new site seems like a nifty new thing, but I prefer to not have a web browser open at all times to listen to Pandora. Please add in the ability to not have Pandora automatically start playing if you are navigating to song/artist/album names.
  2. CFMcG
    September 21, 2011 at 7:02am
    I think the new site looks slick, but it does not offer "the same personalized radio experience" as the previous site. One of my favorite features of the older site was the ability to bookmark songs and artists to check out at a later date. That function has been removed in the new iteration of Pandora and I miss it dearly - along with all of the old bookmarks I appear to have lost. I hope you'll restore this functionality to the new site for those of us who cannot always actively explore the musical genome project while we listen. Cheers, Clayton @CFMcG
  3. kenisha wideman
    September 21, 2011 at 7:02am
    Love it!
  4. Tom Vaughan
    September 21, 2011 at 7:04am
    How can I stop that stupid dating ad from coming up?
  5. Jen
    September 21, 2011 at 7:07am
    Love the updates to the web version. It looks great. Very classy. We use the desktop app, so we won't see most of the changes. One thing I would love to see is a way to group our stations. We have quite a list and I would love to be able to group them - kids, mine, husbands, etc. Keep up the great work! We use Pandora every day! Jen
  6. Kevin Marks
    September 21, 2011 at 7:08am
    Is Pandora able to play and discover music by independent artists now too, or just the major labels? turntable.fm manages to do both, as it allows user-uploaded tracks to be part of the mix. See http://j.mp/disruptFlix for why this matters.
  7. Ashley
    September 21, 2011 at 7:12am
    Looks great, but now I can't use it at work anymore...time to find another Internet radio to use... :-(
  8. Ty
    September 21, 2011 at 7:13am
    I just saw the new site today and love the look. I have noticed that everytime I try to rate (add thumbs up or down) or look back to another track that it interupts the current song playing. It's only a second or two until I stop hovering over that item. Thanks Ty
  9. Ron Cronovich
    September 21, 2011 at 7:14am
    I have been a huge fan of Pandora for three years. Pandora has turned me on to great new music that I otherwise might not have heard. I love the high tech algorithms that work behind the scenes to find new music that matches my preferences. Pure genius! I haven't checked out the new website yet - I usually just use the Pandora One app. But I will check it out now. Keep up the great work! Yours, Ron
  10. esther delgado