comedy_blog_graphic_3.jpg Dear Listeners –

We’re excited to say that we are officially in the business of telling jokes! Starting now, you can launch personalized comedy stations on Pandora from any genre or comedian.

Adding comedians to the mix has been one of the top requests from our listeners, so we’ve taken the same approach to comedy as we have to music: carefully and deliberately analyzing comedic “bits” across a very large number of attributes to capture the style, delivery and content of each performance. It’s been a very fun experience, taking what we’ve learned in music and applying it to a whole new category. Now, instead of talking about “minor keys,” “falsetto,” and “extensive vamping,” our comedy-analysts capture “odd juxtaposition” (A horse walks into a bar…), “misdirection” and “spoonerisms” (a well-boiled icicle, instead of a well-oiled bicycle)…

We’ve had a great team of working comedians furiously analyzing what is now a collection of more than 10,000 sketches from more than 700 different comics and counting.

As with music, we hope that the Comedy Genome Project will let people enjoy comedy they know as well as discover new talent that they love. And for comedians everywhere we hope that Pandora can provide a great big new platform for new fans. There is surely nothing more important than helping the world laugh a little more!

We hope you’ll give it a whirl. Here are some quick options to get you started if you need some: Comedy Genres.

And, as always, don’t be shy about feedback, we love to hear from you.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
Tom (Chief Technology Officer)

Comments

1. donny
    June 30, 2011 at 1:47am
    Wow! My daughter turned me on to your site and I am thoroughly impressed! This is what internet radio has only aspired to be. You have a great idea, now run with it. I will back you all the way. OK, Got to go now...have to tell ALL my friends!
  2. Lexie Neevel
    July 04, 2011 at 3:06pm
    I just love doing pandora.... Lexie
  3. Renee Rosa
    July 06, 2011 at 9:57am
    Just wanted to say that someone turned me onto Pandora a while ago, and I really LOVE it!! I've found new songs that I have never heard of before that I can enjoy listening to. I've gotten interested in different genres of music by creating stations. Country is one example. I've never liked it much, but there are a few songs I did like. I made a station with those songs as seeds, and found that I like country music more than I thought. For someone with the range of musical taste that I have, everything from Barry Manilow to Queen to Rascal Flatts to Adele to BEP to James Taylor and everything in between, Pandora ROCKS!! THANKS SO MUCH!
  4. Lisa Clark
    July 06, 2011 at 2:41pm
    This is an awesome addition. I don't know if there's enough demand for this, but it'd be also cool to have audio books on Pandora...or international songs.
  5. The Healthy Weight Loss Girl
    July 06, 2011 at 5:55pm
    I know of quite a few stand up amateur comedians who might like to try this out. They are very versatile and are quite good. They have about 8 years experience between them all, on average. I'm going to hook them up with your site. Thanks Pandora!!
  6. systemic enzymes
    July 08, 2011 at 8:19pm
    Adding comedians to the pandora is a great concept. I never heard this available in other stations. Thanks to make our request come true. Your loyal audience.
  7. Russell
    July 14, 2011 at 12:09pm
    I selected the Canton Spirituals to show I desired more quartette music. I was extremly disapointed that the next song was not. However the the third one was. I cincerly hope my prohile renders far more Quartette's than others.
  8. Barclay Totten
    July 19, 2011 at 10:23am
    Comedy Stations a great idea, but please cut the canned laughter. Comedy should be funny without it.
  9. Kristi Dunn
    July 21, 2011 at 5:24am
    It would be nice to have an option where you can just listen to a station of the songs you've already given a thumbs up to. I've given so many songs a thumbs up that sometimes I'd like to be able to just listen to those songs without any additional pandora suggestions. Just a thought. I do like the way it seems that Pandora is a mind-reader when it comes to what I like to hear.
  10. gracie mcroy