comedy_blog_graphic_3.jpg Dear Listeners –

We’re excited to say that we are officially in the business of telling jokes! Starting now, you can launch personalized comedy stations on Pandora from any genre or comedian.

Adding comedians to the mix has been one of the top requests from our listeners, so we’ve taken the same approach to comedy as we have to music: carefully and deliberately analyzing comedic “bits” across a very large number of attributes to capture the style, delivery and content of each performance. It’s been a very fun experience, taking what we’ve learned in music and applying it to a whole new category. Now, instead of talking about “minor keys,” “falsetto,” and “extensive vamping,” our comedy-analysts capture “odd juxtaposition” (A horse walks into a bar…), “misdirection” and “spoonerisms” (a well-boiled icicle, instead of a well-oiled bicycle)…

We’ve had a great team of working comedians furiously analyzing what is now a collection of more than 10,000 sketches from more than 700 different comics and counting.

As with music, we hope that the Comedy Genome Project will let people enjoy comedy they know as well as discover new talent that they love. And for comedians everywhere we hope that Pandora can provide a great big new platform for new fans. There is surely nothing more important than helping the world laugh a little more!

We hope you’ll give it a whirl. Here are some quick options to get you started if you need some: Comedy Genres.

And, as always, don’t be shy about feedback, we love to hear from you.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
Tom (Chief Technology Officer)

Comments

1. robert
    July 30, 2011 at 12:15pm
    curious why no reggae exist in the genre list
  2. christarenae
    August 03, 2011 at 7:23pm
    I don't like it bc I'd rather make my own playlists and it doesn't load right. Its crappy.
  3. Melissa E. Bartels
    August 05, 2011 at 4:14pm
    Thank you for considering everyones different taste and style when you re-vamped the site!!!!
  4. rachele
    August 05, 2011 at 4:52pm
    Call me stupid but im knew to pandora and can't figure out how to change channels
  5. Anthony
    August 13, 2011 at 12:22pm
    Okay this new counter is nice and all, but it has to be correct if it is going to be there. it says i have used 4 of 40 hours, and am at 12 % of my usage already? That would only be 10 percent.
  6. Sarah
    August 16, 2011 at 12:02pm
    Hi Tim, I think the Comedy Genome Project is a great idea thus giving comedians a great platform to gain more fans and too giving us listeners more choices. We can always use more laughter in the world, along with great music. Thank you
  7. Cherie bingham
    August 19, 2011 at 4:18pm
    Hi Tim, Congrats on you public stock!! I am a new listener and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more talking!!! thanks, cherie
  8. brandon
    August 24, 2011 at 8:09am
    wow, i have to assume that the thumbs up are more for the idea of pandora than actual pandora at this point. pandora used to be good, now the one on my android just freezes half way into the first song. among other issues that ultimately led to the un installation of the app on my phone. i would buy the app being as its so damn cheap, if i wasnt so unsure about paying for what may give me the same issues as the free version. on the computer it seems to work ok but its the app on my phon that i really like about pandora. hope you get your sh*t together guys it'd be nice to get my radio back ;)
  9. Plumber Dandenong
    August 24, 2011 at 7:50pm
    I just downloaded the pandora app, My friend told me about it. The comedy genre is awesome. I work alone, all nights I played the comedy genre for at least 5-6 hours straight. Thank you so much for saving my nights!
  10. Radio Gaanwala
    August 25, 2011 at 12:43am
    Just love pandora. Thank you all of related pandora.