comedy_blog_graphic_3.jpg Dear Listeners –

We’re excited to say that we are officially in the business of telling jokes! Starting now, you can launch personalized comedy stations on Pandora from any genre or comedian.

Adding comedians to the mix has been one of the top requests from our listeners, so we’ve taken the same approach to comedy as we have to music: carefully and deliberately analyzing comedic “bits” across a very large number of attributes to capture the style, delivery and content of each performance. It’s been a very fun experience, taking what we’ve learned in music and applying it to a whole new category. Now, instead of talking about “minor keys,” “falsetto,” and “extensive vamping,” our comedy-analysts capture “odd juxtaposition” (A horse walks into a bar…), “misdirection” and “spoonerisms” (a well-boiled icicle, instead of a well-oiled bicycle)…

We’ve had a great team of working comedians furiously analyzing what is now a collection of more than 10,000 sketches from more than 700 different comics and counting.

As with music, we hope that the Comedy Genome Project will let people enjoy comedy they know as well as discover new talent that they love. And for comedians everywhere we hope that Pandora can provide a great big new platform for new fans. There is surely nothing more important than helping the world laugh a little more!

We hope you’ll give it a whirl. Here are some quick options to get you started if you need some: Comedy Genres.

And, as always, don’t be shy about feedback, we love to hear from you.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
Tom (Chief Technology Officer)

Comments

1. Josh Johnson
    May 03, 2011 at 10:39pm
    Oh sweet! I didn't even expect anything like this; it sounds awesome! I'm gonna go try it now. :P Thanks for the great work, Pandora!
  2. Chris
    May 04, 2011 at 6:18am
    Rock on, this is a great addition. I'm already working on a station: http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh456167531869149571
  3. Christina
    May 04, 2011 at 7:39am
    Can a comedian submit clips to Pandora to be included in the project? If so, how would they do it? Thanks.
  4. Brad
    May 04, 2011 at 7:51am
    What a great idea (you guys are used to great ideas I think!). I cant wait to create a Mitch Hedberg channel and see who comes up. Thanks again for your terrific service! Brad
  5. Andrew
    May 04, 2011 at 10:12am
    I have been unable to find any of the 'Comedy' genres in the Pandora desktop app. What are the plans for that?
  6. David Feldman
    May 04, 2011 at 11:52am
    Hey Tim and Tom, My name is David Feldman. I'm a comedian and comedy writer. We do a radio show down here in Los Angeles for Pacifica Radio. There are tons of sketches. Please have a listen. Thanks for your time. Best, David
  7. Ian Douglas
    May 04, 2011 at 3:52pm
    Thanks for adding this, I no longer have any need for my Sirius/XM subscription!
  8. Linda Sell
    May 04, 2011 at 7:25pm
    Thank you to all at Pandora!!! Love all you do!
  9. John Moore – the discount patio furniture guy
    May 05, 2011 at 7:36am
    >>It's been a very fun experience, taking what we've learned in >>music and applying it to a whole new category. Just how did you do that? I can't draw any parallels between music and telling jokes :-)
  10. Frank
    May 05, 2011 at 5:51pm
    Is there any other way to access the list of Genres (from within the player, navigating "About the Music" above)? I hadn't noticed this feature. Thanks.