Hey, it’s Tim from Pandora –

I’m writing to wish you a very Happy New Year from all of us here at Pandora! And what a year it was…

First, a heartfelt thanks to all of you for continuing to be such engaged listeners and such wonderful evangelists. In 2010 we doubled our audience to over 75 million people! And that was mostly thanks to continued word of mouth. For that we are deeply appreciative.

As always, interacting with listeners continues to be our greatest joy, and greatest source of feedback. You now send us over 25,000 emails every month. What an incredible fountain of information, constructive feedback, and validation that continues to be… and those thumbs! In 2010 alone, you thumbed over 3 billion songs (mostly thumbs-up… phew!).

Getting your stations right continues to be our obsession – and a work in progress. It’s a (wonderfully) hard problem and something we continue to work on every day. Your feedback is invaluable to that effort.

I hope you’ve checked out one of the many new connected devices that now support Pandora. We’re trying our best to make Pandora available everywhere you might want to use it. And that includes cars. 2011 will bring more options than ever to listen to Pandora on the road, beyond just plugging your smartphone into an auxiliary jack. Ford, GM, Mercedes-Benz, Mini and Toyota have all announced Pandora integration into their dashboards. There’s no way to describe what it’s like to have personalized radio in the car. You just have to try it.

Last, but not least, a shout-out to all the great new music from working artists everywhere. Keep your submissions coming. We’re furiously adding music so listeners can keep discovering. The Music Genome Project surpassed 850,000 songs and is now rapidly becoming a more international collection.

So much more to say… but we’ve got the whole year ahead of us to talk :).
Please stay in touch, keep listening and I look forward to the music we’re all going to enjoy in 2011.

As always, your feedback is most welcome.

Tim
Founder

Comments

1. Tanya
    January 17, 2011 at 8:27pm
    I was wondering if you would help figure out why I am not able to use Pandora while on my Pandigital Novelthat uses the Android operating system. It is connected to my home internet. When I get to the Pandora site and click "Download Pandora Now", I get "Not Found Error 404"?
  2. Chris Mazie
    January 17, 2011 at 10:37pm
    Please enable scrobbling via last.fm. I like to keep a database of all the songs I listen to. Thanks!
  3. Ashley
    January 18, 2011 at 5:22am
    I love Pandora, but I agree with the above posters about the inappropriate ad on Pandora for the movie "No Strings Attached". I play this at work and I have to be right at my computer to mute it when it comes on. I can't even play Pandora at home because of the ad....little ears! It seems like it is the only ad on Pandora nowadays.
  4. Travis
    January 18, 2011 at 1:10pm
    I'd love to see Pandora support the video out feature of the iPhone for 2011. That way I could see the album art (and of course ads :-) on my aftermarket car video screen when I'm cruising. The "UpSize" app already does this for songs played through the iPod app, but we all know Pandora song selection is awesome! Please add this to your feature list for this year! :-)
  5. Terrisa
    January 18, 2011 at 4:57pm
    Well the whole system just went down and took my stations with it!! I have Pandora One and am not happy!!!
  6. Alex Tkaczevski
    January 18, 2011 at 6:46pm
    Thank you for providing such excellent music service. I enjoy being presented with new music in the genre and style I like... or am in the mood to hear. I am not sure what you plans for future library expansion is... but I find popular and folk music from around the world lacking... For example, I am currently very interested in popular Russian music with folk influences... things that authentically Russian, not just parodies of American Pop. Artists like Serega (Eminem with a Russian twist), Tina Karol (#1 pop artist in Ukraine), Nastasia Prihodko (winner of their "idol" Factory of Stars show). Most of these I have found searching on YouTube. Any chance that you will have these and more in your library?
  7. Kaitlin
    January 18, 2011 at 7:43pm
    Hello!! I'm new to Pandora, but I love it!! I'm writing a book (because I'm a book nerd) and having the music in the background is awesome!! Actually, I don't know how hard it would be to put it all together, but having different channels for different moods would be really awesome. Like, music that sets a dark mood, or a bright mood, or something like that. Thanks for listening - and letting me listen!!!
  8. Robert Lindsdey
    January 19, 2011 at 1:20am
    I have subscribed to the pay version of this service, but might not have if I knew the music would stop playing, "because you don't want to play to an empty room". I like to fall asleep listening to the music i PAYED for, and I like to wake to it also. I find it very annoying that the the music stops because I am not interacting with this service. As far as I am concerned, I interacted when I payed my $40.00. Now get someone to fix this problem and I might renew at the end of the year. If not, I'll spend my $ somewhere else.
  9. Katrina Jensen
    January 19, 2011 at 4:23am
    Dear Tim, I am sorry to communicate with you this way, but I wasn't sure how else to do so. I am a college student and love to listen to your online stations however, recently one of the commercials that comes on my station every few minutes has been has been making it harder for me to enjoy Pandora. I find the "No Strings Attached" preview rather offensive and have no way of turning it off unless I mute my computer every time it comes on, and I find myself doing so with frequency. If there is any way that this could be remedied by either allowing the listener to select what commercials they hear, putting commercials that seem to fit the selection of the listeners music, or by pre-screening them to ensure that they wont be offensive to those listening I would greatly appreciate it. I feel like this could also potentially increase the success of the advertisements your customers post; if they are more suited to the audience. Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely, Katrina Jensen
  10. Brent
    January 19, 2011 at 8:29am
    Got a subscription...been listening for free for a few years on my computer and piping throughout the house. got mobile app and listen everywhere and so does my girlfriend. Awesome music network! Ever thought about developing a Wii channel so we could browse, thumbs up/down, >>|, ||, as Wii's browser does not support streaming content from a web page. What do ya think? Thanks, Brent