Hey, it’s Tim from Pandora –

I’m writing to wish you a very Happy New Year from all of us here at Pandora! And what a year it was…

First, a heartfelt thanks to all of you for continuing to be such engaged listeners and such wonderful evangelists. In 2010 we doubled our audience to over 75 million people! And that was mostly thanks to continued word of mouth. For that we are deeply appreciative.

As always, interacting with listeners continues to be our greatest joy, and greatest source of feedback. You now send us over 25,000 emails every month. What an incredible fountain of information, constructive feedback, and validation that continues to be… and those thumbs! In 2010 alone, you thumbed over 3 billion songs (mostly thumbs-up… phew!).

Getting your stations right continues to be our obsession – and a work in progress. It’s a (wonderfully) hard problem and something we continue to work on every day. Your feedback is invaluable to that effort.

I hope you’ve checked out one of the many new connected devices that now support Pandora. We’re trying our best to make Pandora available everywhere you might want to use it. And that includes cars. 2011 will bring more options than ever to listen to Pandora on the road, beyond just plugging your smartphone into an auxiliary jack. Ford, GM, Mercedes-Benz, Mini and Toyota have all announced Pandora integration into their dashboards. There’s no way to describe what it’s like to have personalized radio in the car. You just have to try it.

Last, but not least, a shout-out to all the great new music from working artists everywhere. Keep your submissions coming. We’re furiously adding music so listeners can keep discovering. The Music Genome Project surpassed 850,000 songs and is now rapidly becoming a more international collection.

So much more to say… but we’ve got the whole year ahead of us to talk :).
Please stay in touch, keep listening and I look forward to the music we’re all going to enjoy in 2011.

As always, your feedback is most welcome.

Tim
Founder

Comments

1. Matthew
    January 15, 2011 at 11:32pm
    Hi Tim, Phenomenal idea! I'm sure you guys are familiar with Genetic Algorithms ... Would love to apply a GA to music selection via the thumbs-up/down metric. Also, would be truly cool to match user's via genetic similarity based on song up/down selections. Could provide a mind-map showing who's closest to the user, according to similarity of weighted gene selections. I've tried to get past the support folk, but they dont seem to get it. Cheers Matt
  2. AngleGal
    January 16, 2011 at 1:07pm
    WOW! So glad to have found Pandora. We are getting a blu-ray player with networking because of it. I like planting "seeds" for my stations but I'd like to be able to choose music based on it's beat. My husband and I like to dance, and I'd like to be able to have a station that plays only, say, music for rumba. I'm not really concerned with who the artist is, it can be anybody, but I don't really want to have to sit down and wait twiddling our thumbs for another song with the same beat. (We are just beginners, so we can't do another dance while we wait - at least not yet anyway!) My only other concern is that sometimes my kids are around while we are dancing, and I worry about the advertising they hear. I certainly don't have a problem with the advertising in general, I just don't want them to hear anything inappropriate. Thanks for a marvelous service. Looking forward to many years of happy listening!
  3. vivek madaan
    January 16, 2011 at 5:28pm
    Mr Tim, I would like to congratulate u for such a fantastic station.I have a small crib presently ,i am located in Atlanta but shortly i will be moving to India. Will i be able to use my iphone ,Ipad & Imac for listening to this radio station.If u can advice me how to continue with Pandora.
  4. ken
    January 16, 2011 at 6:46pm
    that really suck that i can not use the pandora raido wish it would work !!!!!!!!!!!! please take a min to fix it and let me no i like it so much !!!!!
  5. Chris Russell
    January 16, 2011 at 9:06pm
    Pandora is awesome! I have create a multitude of stations I really like. The ads are a tiny bit frequent tho.
  6. Courtney
    January 17, 2011 at 1:25am
    Hey Tim, You're doing a GREAT job with Pandora. I have it on just about all the time. However, one detail that I'm glad has already been mentioned...It's one thing to have ads every 5-10 songs or so, but when it's the same one every time, and it's sex sex sex? (I'm speaking of course of the "No Strings Attached" ad). I try to listen to my music at work, at home, around the family, but when that ad comes on so frequently, it gets embarrassing. Not only do I not plan on watching that movie because it seems like a waste of time, but I'm so annoyed at how much I hear the ad, that I'm officially boycotting the movie. I really want to keep listening, but the one inappropriate ad is getting to be a little much. I might have to hold off until the movie is out in theaters, and its novelty wears off. Other than that, I really do love Pandora. It's the best music website I've found yet, and I've discovered so many great songs and artists! Just please work on the ad frequency and their content. Thanks so much! Courtney
  7. Cory
    January 17, 2011 at 11:07am
    Hey there -- just a quick thought from a longtime listener: it would be very useful for Pandora to keep a list of all the "liked" songs for its users and make these songs readily available within the application itself. Unless you write the song down manually, text or email the name of the song/artist to yourself, you'll likely forget it altogether -- at least that's how my cerebral process operates. Thanks for providing such a valuable service, couldn't get through work without it. Take care, Cory
  8. Deena
    January 17, 2011 at 1:32pm
    I want to give you a big thumbs up for your selection of Bollywood hits. The collection is significant and includes songs from various time periods and many styles. That said, I did wonder whether Pandora received permission or pays royalties for the Bollywood songs in particular. Thank you a million times for a wonderful listening experience.
  9. TRISH
    January 17, 2011 at 3:48pm
    Hi Tim just found out about Pandora from buying E reader Nook Color which zoomed me right into it. As I come into the prime of life I feel I am multi tasking, listening to all my favorite music while reading, besides texting people to tell them all about my new find. My son thinks I have become so technophobic.. Thanks for a great idea and good luck for 2011. Regards T
  10. jeff
    January 17, 2011 at 5:51pm
    I'm new to Pandora. Not sure how all this works. I just know that I set up my first "program", and everysong has blessed me. A whole new world has opened up to me. Thank you.