Hey, it’s Tim from Pandora –

I’m writing to wish you a very Happy New Year from all of us here at Pandora! And what a year it was…

First, a heartfelt thanks to all of you for continuing to be such engaged listeners and such wonderful evangelists. In 2010 we doubled our audience to over 75 million people! And that was mostly thanks to continued word of mouth. For that we are deeply appreciative.

As always, interacting with listeners continues to be our greatest joy, and greatest source of feedback. You now send us over 25,000 emails every month. What an incredible fountain of information, constructive feedback, and validation that continues to be… and those thumbs! In 2010 alone, you thumbed over 3 billion songs (mostly thumbs-up… phew!).

Getting your stations right continues to be our obsession – and a work in progress. It’s a (wonderfully) hard problem and something we continue to work on every day. Your feedback is invaluable to that effort.

I hope you’ve checked out one of the many new connected devices that now support Pandora. We’re trying our best to make Pandora available everywhere you might want to use it. And that includes cars. 2011 will bring more options than ever to listen to Pandora on the road, beyond just plugging your smartphone into an auxiliary jack. Ford, GM, Mercedes-Benz, Mini and Toyota have all announced Pandora integration into their dashboards. There’s no way to describe what it’s like to have personalized radio in the car. You just have to try it.

Last, but not least, a shout-out to all the great new music from working artists everywhere. Keep your submissions coming. We’re furiously adding music so listeners can keep discovering. The Music Genome Project surpassed 850,000 songs and is now rapidly becoming a more international collection.

So much more to say… but we’ve got the whole year ahead of us to talk :).
Please stay in touch, keep listening and I look forward to the music we’re all going to enjoy in 2011.

As always, your feedback is most welcome.

Tim
Founder

Comments

1. The Admired
    March 12, 2011 at 2:54pm
    Pandora is awesome! Thank you for all your hard work for making this internet radio work.
  2. Ross Witman
    March 12, 2011 at 3:36pm
    While I'm enjoying the service for the most part, there is one serious flaw(& one lesser flaw) I'm noticing: when a station presents a song, its default choice is a live version. That's just wrong; first choice should always be the original. The other thing I've noticed is a tendency that annoys me on the cable music channels(like "Music Choice" on T-W cable), to list the album a song is from as some dopey compilation or soundtrack. Again, if it was issued on an artist's album first, then that should be the listing. Finally, a question: I just heard of another service similar to this(the name escapes me, but I believe it's newer than Pandora) that offers the option to listen to the whole album if you like a track. Any chance that might be added to the Pandora One upgrade? Thanks for your time and attention.
  3. jo shim
    March 12, 2011 at 8:02pm
    Just want to say thank you for this gift that is Pandora, the of new music moves my soul. Sincerely, Jo Shim
  4. David
    March 13, 2011 at 6:00pm
    It keeps getting easier to use Pandora, however it would awesome to see an app for the PS3. One more way to listen.
  5. JJ
    March 14, 2011 at 9:56am
    I like Pandora, but I'm on the Beatles station and have only heard one Beatles song in the last two hours. I've heard several Stones and Simon and Garfunkel songs, and solo songs from Paul and John, but no true Beatles songs performed by the Beatles. I'm disappointed.
  6. Chris
    March 14, 2011 at 8:33pm
    Thumbs down for Lyrics? I don't want to tweak the music any further on one of my stations, but I also don't want my four year old to start chanting "This is effed up, this is effed up, this is effed up" a la Thom York. I hate censorship, but I also want to be able to walk out of the room for a few minutes and still feel comfortable about what Grandma might hear from Cutie Pie when she comes for a visit.
  7. Drew
    March 15, 2011 at 5:32pm
    I can't find anywhere to submit comments or corrections. The biography for the classical orchestra composer Aram Khachaturian incorrectly states that his birthplace city, Tiflis, is in Russia. It isn't. In fact, it's the capital of the country of Georgia, Tblisi. "Tiflis" is the Armenian language name for the city, which has historically always had a large ethnic Armenian population.
  8. Emma
    March 16, 2011 at 7:04pm
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE
  9. Domain Lookup
    March 17, 2011 at 3:01am
    Hello Tim, It was great listening to Pandora. It really helped me in the times when I felt down. Keep up the great work you guys are doing! ________________ Thank You David
  10. TroubleTime
    March 17, 2011 at 11:04am
    I do not tell friends about Pandora. I know they don't like Live versions of most songs. Generally Live cuts remind me that I need to shut down Pandora and move on. Sure I like one or two live songs, but how can I include just those songs in the mix without inviting all the dross? Sorry you're unable to fix this outstanding customer service issue. Perhaps you might measure success differently: In 2011 the number of anti-Pandora comments related to Live cuts will be 10% of what they were in 2010. Yeah, success, that's what is looks like. Looking around the bend "for the next big thing in music delivery."