This week we will begin communicating directly with a small number of our listeners as we introduce a 40-hour-per-month limit on free mobile listening.

Most of you reading this will never hit the limit. In fact, it will affect less than 4% of our total monthly active listeners. For perspective, the average listener spends approximately 20 hours listening to Pandora across all devices in any given month.

That said, limiting listening is a very unusual thing to do, and very contrary to our mission so we wanted to share a quick explanation. Pandora’s per-track royalty rates have increased more than 25% over the last 3 years, including 9% in 2013 alone and are scheduled to increase an additional 16% over the next two years. After a close look at our overall listening, a 40-hour-per-month mobile listening limit allows us to manage these escalating costs with minimal listener disruption.

For listeners who do hit the limit, we have a variety of options available to keep the music you love flowing. Listen for free for as many hours as desired on desktop and laptop computers; pay $0.99 for unlimited listening for the remainder of that month, or subscribe to Pandora One for unlimited listening and no advertising.

In short, this is an effort to balance the reality of increasing royalty costs with our desire to maximize access to free listening on Pandora. We will be sure to alert any of our listeners that start getting close to the 40 hour limit. As always, your feedback is welcome.

Thanks for listening,
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. David Separk
    November 25, 2015 at 5:12am
    Pandora radio is sooo frustrating. Can't get it. When I get it it will drop off after so long. Service stinks. Just sooo glad I'm not paying for this crap.
  2. Feven
    November 27, 2015 at 12:52pm
    Why does Pandora say it doesn't exist in this country? I live in the United States?
    1. PandoraSupport
      November 28, 2015 at 1:50pm
      Email us for help, here: pdora.co/writeus
  3. Arijit Singh
    November 29, 2015 at 11:49am
    ::::::::Still not available in my country:::::::::::: We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative. We believe that you are in India (your IP address appears to be 000.00.0.0.). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please email us.
  4. Chip
    November 30, 2015 at 4:04pm
    I have received 2 emails from you folks with suggestions for fixing the issue of songs cutting off before the end of the track. This issue has been going on for about 3 months now. I have Directv, and have replaced the modem, changed internet providers, updated all of our equipment, closed out of my account, rebooted, changed passwords, and cursed Pandora till I'm blue. What have you all done to fix this? (And maybe, you should consider the idea of employing some tech folks to handle phone inquiries to trouble shoot what appears to be a fairly common problem with your product. Your competitors do.
  5. Umer
    December 01, 2015 at 7:06pm
    why does Pandora play more ads (more frequent) when I am not on WiFi on my phone?
  6. full zip hoodie
    December 06, 2015 at 7:12pm
    I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also visit this website on regular basis to get updated from most up-to-date information.
  7. Laverne
    December 13, 2015 at 11:04pm
    Hello to every , for the reason that I am truly eager of reading this weblog's post to be updated on a regular basis. It contains good information.
  8. NOT A PANDORA LISTENER ANY MORE
    December 14, 2015 at 9:23pm
    I'll second any and all complaints about the ads being played all too frequently- this has to stop! Your desire to turn Pandora into a profit-making venture completely destroyed the reason so many people use Pandora- to access free music with stations that suggest music when you rate tracks. Now, thumbing down a track, changing stations, or even just moving a track to another station causes an ad to play for at least 30 seconds. Pandora's incessant ads which they claim are to make up for expensive royalties now make this the last time I will ever mention Pandora to anyone. The name alone was a foreshadowing to their downfall- now nothing remains inside.
  9. Michelle M.
    December 17, 2015 at 12:42pm
    I have an IPhone with the most current software. It says that Pandora is not available in this country. I live in Florida. I don't understand why this is happening. Please help!!!!!
  10. kevin
    December 18, 2015 at 2:28pm
    Pandora is the worst music streaming service in play now. You have completely failed Mr. Westergren. You obviously have no clue about UX/UI design. You might want to go back to school and take some classes on it because Pandora has the worst user experience of any app I have ever used. You pay monthly for your service but still have a skip limit because of your music license. You app is horrible and you are a horrible developer and business man.