What a week! Charlottesville, Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill (plus Dallas last night, recap of that on the next post). Beautiful part of the country, super-hospitable people, and lots of music. Been a while since I’ve seen so much green.
DurhamRoad.jpg
Thanks to everyone who attended the various meetings and talks. I left town energized and armed with a bunch of great new ideas. I’ve posted some pix and thoughts below… if you have any you’d like me to add, please send ’em in – tour@pandora.com
First stop was Charlottesville, VA and UVA’s gorgeous campus where I spoke to Prof. Fred Maus’s music theory class…

Not a bad looking music building!
UVAMusicDept.jpg
Very cool to hear that they’re really integrating rock/pop music into the core curriculum. I learned how hard it is to keep chalk from squeaking when you write on a chalkboard…
UVALawn.jpg
Enjoyable lunch with Brad, the first luddite blogger I’ve met. He writes for thetechlounge.com. We both stopped by Plan9 Music store (clear favorite on the blog comments and emails – thanks everyone) to pick up some local discs. The impact of the DMB success is very noticeable – they’ve done a lot to promote music locally.
Plan9Records.jpg
Raced across campus to Darden school to speak with a group of MBA students.
DardenExt.jpg
So much green everywhere… Thanks to Miguel and his entrepreneurs group for a stimulating discussion. Felt like something of an imposter given my rather lackluster educational history…
Drove back across town for a meetup at the Gravity Lounge – one of the best music rooms I’ve seen in a while. Paradise for an acoustic show – you don’t find a lot of spots that are clearly built with a music-appreciating audience in mind. Low ceilings, rugs and nice absorbent bookshelves around the room. Took a picture of the venue pre-meeting.
GravityLounge.jpg
About 50 folks showed up for a lively dialogue. Lots of discussion about how we create ‘sets’ on pandora playlists.
Ran out of steam, so skipped the clubs that night. Recovering the previous night’s redeye.
Woke up bright and early the next day for the 4 hour drive to Raleigh Durham. Where I started the day at Duke with Prof. Marc Farris’ advanced music theory class. Some sharp kids there – learned that a IV-I cadence is called “plagal”. Suggested that modes would make for good genome genes – the “phrygian” construct of some rock is a signature style.
Spent the afternoon chatting with folks at Fuqua BSchool, followed by great dinner with some of the students. “I want to start my own company” was clearly the theme. The business discussions definitely are invaluable in stimulating thoughts about how to make this whole thing work. I also learned that undergrads campout for months to enter the lottery to get basketball season tickets… biz school students in RVs, ugrads in tents!
Fuqua.jpg
Another beautiful day on Wednesday, headed over to Chapel Hill with my wonderful host David – a million thanks to for being such an extraordinary host – driving me around, helping with boxes of hats and Tshirts. Can’t thank you enough. Music communities are sure to grow with people like you.
Started at Kenan Flagler, the UNC bschool to speak to a group of entrepreneurs. Sharp questions.
KenanFlaglerChat.jpg
Then met up with some undergrads on the main campus in the blendCoLab group. Really dug talking to the students – about 12 or so. Young and eager to become entrepreneurs. Also some interesting perspective on community sites. On the way out David and I stopped by SchoolKids Records (thanks all ye commenters) to pick up local stuff. There are clearly some consensus local favs – headed for the Music Genome.
SchoolKids.jpg
SchoolKidsWindow.jpg
Got together with about 100 folks at the Carolina Theatre that evening for a terrific meetup. People talked a lot about different ways to start stations – mood, genre, and a random start station… also a strong desire to be able to control the playlists through specific musical attributes.
CarolinaTheatreSign.jpg
Also a lot about commerce – how to fulfill more of our catalogue. We went for a couple hours, and kept rapping afterwards with some hardy souls. It’s just so great to see such enthusiasm for music. Also very pleased by the reception of our new pandora gear! More options and finally some style 🙂
CarolineTheatre.jpg
Topped the evening off with a great show from Calexico (thanks for rallying Jennifer!) at the fabled local Cat’s Cradle (definitely the consensus favorite spot among the blog commenters). Cool room and great sound. Had to capture the wall-o-posters. THis is giggin’ country.
CatsCradlePosters.jpg
Calexico.jpg
Slept the sleep of the dead…
Up early and on to Dallas, TX… to be continued.

Comments

1. Karen
    February 14, 2007 at 6:31pm
    Hi Tim Just would like to thank you for your welcome, I discover you in the last 36 hrs. and I love every bit of it. I am a avid lover of Gospel Music and Smooth Jazz, but Gospel is my first "Love". I was wondering though is there a way that the circular music does not mesh it's way into the library? What I mean is, for example on last night I was listen to my Fred Hammon station and a selection from the Whispers popped up! I am not aware of any Gospel music that has been recorded by them, I may have missed it, but I would prefer if it is all the same to you, that the R&B not be mixed in with the Gospel please. I mean it's like my mom says everything has it's place, hopefully I have not offended anyone I would like to say that you've got something great here and I appreciate you and your project. Keep up the good work, and if there is anyway I can assist you guys from this end of the world please let me know and if it is in my power I will see that it is carried out. Good Luck!!
  2. alyssa
    February 16, 2007 at 4:43pm
    Someone's Sister is a politically active feminist type of folk/soft rock band based in my town Greenville NC. Sounds like Indigo Girls. Very good and doing awesome works against violence against women and children!
  3. Tiffany B
    April 02, 2007 at 7:43pm
    I would like to pick a couple of artists for a station and only hear those particular artists. I like to listen to music while I drive, clean up or just check my email and sometimes I am in the mood to hear certain people. That's not to say that you don't pick good people for your stations because I have come upon some new voices and songs that I do like. I would like to be able to go back to a song I was listening to before. I made the mistake of skipping a bunch of songs when I first started listening thinking that I could just see what was next and go back and listen through, needless to say, I learned the hard way that that's not how it works. I do love what you have done and hope you keep up the good work!
  4. james david scott jr.[jim]
    May 05, 2007 at 1:23pm
    this is one terrific idea radio for free pandora i salute you!
  5. CJ
    June 25, 2007 at 5:04pm
    So far I have enjoyed the music. One suggestion though. I am new to this so if I missed it please forgive me. But my suggestion is when doing a search for a group or album it would be nice if you had the option to play the entire album or ad the songs from that album to your station. For example i was searching for a group i liked and made a station from that group but it would be nice if i could listen to more than one or two songs from that lbum and ad it to my station. Thanks
  6. jrushing
    July 15, 2007 at 9:38am
    Just looked at Tennessee and Virginia. I have to highly recommend Bristol, TN/VA. This is the birthplace of Country music, but that is not at all the only thing here. This is the sort of place where just about everyone you meet is musical involved. We have so much music here, you would not believe it. That is about all you will find here with the exception of the race track. Oh, if you do come, I recommend coming in September when we will be having the Rhythm and Roots Festival. Thanks.
  7. Donald K
    August 30, 2007 at 10:57am
    Just read that you were in the Raleigh North Carolina. Thanks for the great comments on our great "Green" state. I live about 60 mile south of the Raleigh area in what is known as "The Sandhills on NC" ! Also know as the golf capital as we have over 47 courses to play in our area. And the #1 course...Pinehurst #2 known world wide. I was very surprised that while in the area you did not hear anything about our "Special" music of North and South Carolina. What is our special music and the well know dance that goes along with it? "Carolna Beach Music", and the dance known as "The Carolina Shag". This music and dance has been going on since at least the 1940's when all the school kids would save their money and drive to the beach to dance to the jukebox sounds of our beach music and dance the nigth away. Now and for quite awhile there is a gathering twice a year at our neighboring state South Carolina at North Myrtle Beach, also know as Ocean Drive Beach. The music and dance has spead far and wide and 1000's of fans come down for what is known as SOS Spring and Fall Migration to share our love for the dance and music. Bands such as Craig Woolard Band, The Embers, The Fantastic Shakers, The Holiday Band, The Tams,etc. all show up for this celerbration. For more info on the music and dance craze check out this website. http://www.beachshag.com/ I also have a radio station set up for me on your website.."Dons Carolina Beach Station" for anyone to check out. Love your site, sounds, music, blog, etc. Thanks for a great way to make our own radio station and share with others. Don
  8. alvin
    September 27, 2007 at 4:40pm
    Im a 61 year old retired military, grew up on old fashion blue grass music and blue grass gospel. I loved Jimmy Martin, Chubby Wise and Curly Ray Cline, whom I learned to play the fiddle from, Curly was one of the best fiddle players and I met him once when I was about 13 years old. Im still hanging in here with my roots from western north carolina. Keep up the great work. Alvin
  9. brent lambert
    November 24, 2007 at 5:10am
    I wish that there was a way to weight your 'quickmix'. In other words, 30 percent here, 10 percent there etc. I also wish that there was a way to enter a producer instead of just an artist or song as a means of generating a station. My 2 cents. Regards, Brent Lambert The Kitchen Mastering
  10. Mark Turner
    January 10, 2008 at 7:16am
    Sorry to have missed you during your visit to Raleigh Sept. 2006. I'm taking it out on my friends who were present for not letting me know! Please give a shout the next time you're in the area. Also, keep up the great work! Cheers! Mark Turner www.markturner.net