Any city that has a music club where they kick you out if you talk during the performance is ok in my book… such is the Bluebird Cafe, an unassuming little venue that is a coveted spot for visiting musicians (also a consensus favorite from the many comments to our TN post – thanks everyone!)
Nashville… what a music town…
BlueBird.jpg

Spent the first part of my day touring the Gibson Guitar factory (Kate thanks so much for setting this up, and Steve thanks for taking so much time to walk me through the whole operation). I just love the passion with which they approach their guitars. Everything is handmade, from a group of guitar-making enthusiasts who’s average tenure at Gibson was north of 20 years. Darrell, Sharry, Vera, Brian, Larry, Phil, Marsha, Adam, Wanda, Butch.. It’s one big family.
Rather then write more, I’ll let the pictures tell the story. A lot of TLC goes into every instrument…
Gibson1.jpg
Gibson20.jpg
Gibson21.jpg
Gibson22.jpg
Gibson23.jpg
Gibson24.jpg
Gibson221.jpg
Not surprised to learn that the guitars start around $3500 and up. They even had someone offer $1M for their prize possession.. which they turned down of course.
Left with the smell of sawdust and lacquer in my nose… Ready to hear what these guys sound like plugged in… more on the evening in Nashville on my next post. Coming shortly.

Comments

1. ~thomas Kattz
    May 11, 2006 at 5:24am
    ...these beauties don't even sell in the highend music stores out east (Nova Scotia), unless specially ordered in .. no wonder .. i still got mine tho .. back when i purchased it in 1976! ha! .. a little rough around the edges but still sounds awesome in the studio .. cheers! .. ~t http://www.myspace.com/thomaskattz
  2. Rice
    May 11, 2006 at 8:55am
    Wow. As a non-musician, I've never given much thought about an instrument's creation. Thanks. And great pics!
  3. Anthony Hunt
    May 11, 2006 at 9:28am
    I am having fun today. Been customising my radio station to play the most cheesy music possible. I started with Air Supply's 'All Out Of Love' and it's been mozzarella all the way ;-) Though as I am at work and my computer has speakers, I must say there have been more than the usual amount of disdanful glances in my direction.
  4. Ken
    May 11, 2006 at 12:38pm
    Oh wow. I need to plan a trip. Are the tours open to the public? Ken
  5. Steph
    May 11, 2006 at 2:48pm
    Those are some freaking amazing decorations on those guitars! Very nice indeed.
  6. Tim Westergren
    May 11, 2006 at 9:26pm
    Every single part of those guitars is hand made. that includes the detailing - the carving and painting. It's really amazing.
  7. jurryho
    May 12, 2006 at 12:49am
    I was stuck that soundtrack of grease is not listed in pandora. That group like Sha-na-na and the other performance... nostalgia!
  8. Firewire
    May 12, 2006 at 8:06pm
    Cool.
  9. Noah
    May 19, 2006 at 9:40am
    I love you!. Pandora is the best thing to happen to the internet, since the internet. I would love a wider range of electronic music and given that a lot of the labels are run by peace-to-the-world kind of people, im sure they would love working with you. peace to the world
  10. Kate
    May 24, 2006 at 5:36am
    You can take tours of Gibson's factory in Memphis, but the facilities in Nashville are not open to the public. You can get more info here: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Places/Factory%20Tours/ Kate

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )