Comments

1. Johnny Palazzotto
    March 30, 2006 at 1:31pm
    Tim, Looking forward to your visit Saturday afternoon. Be aware LSU vs UCLA in a Final 4 matchup begins at 4pm. The entire State of La. will be watching the game. We will be able to talk music for two hours. I may join you for Shrimp & Corn soup at the Chimes. Johnny Palazzotto
  2. Tod
    March 30, 2006 at 4:33pm
    Even though they won't be in town on the 1st. Meriwether is the best band to come out of the Baton Rouge area since Better Than Ezra. They would be a great addition to the already incredible collection of tunes you provide in your music database. Check them out on www.meriwetherrock.com and I'll look forward to hearing them on Pandora.
  3. Ben R.
    March 30, 2006 at 5:00pm
    Do yourself a favor and skip the Chimes, unless your just going for a bite to eat. It's really nothing more than a frat bar. Go to the Red Star bar. It's downtown at 222 Laurel St., and really the only worthwhile bar in the whole city. I guess I'd say Spanish Moon is good as well. I spent about 4 months against my will in B.R. this fall thanks to Katrina. But the people at Red Star are really nice and musically knowledgable. Looks like the have a show that night too. Either way, skip the Chimes, especially given the final four. Hope this helps. As for New Orleans, make sure you check out One Eyed Jacks in the Quarter in addition to your scheduled visit to Tip's, and maybe Le Bon Temps Roule, Circle Bar and the Saint. Happy travels.
  4. Blair
    March 30, 2006 at 6:35pm
    Be sure to pick up the "Fun" section of Baton Rouge's Friday newspaper (The Advocate) to see venues and what-not. Everyone is right -- the Chimes is going to be crazy for the basketball game. Saturday: The Benjy Davis Project will be at Fred's (a college bar by campus), Addavoy will be at Mike's in Plaquemine (just over the MS River bridge), Low-Country Audio will be at Chelsea's (across from the Chimes), and Michael Chua will be at the Mellow Mushroom by campus. You may also want to check out Northgate Tavern (other side of campus from the Chimes) and Red Star (downtown). Also, The Caterie (live music every night) has a compilation album of local artists that I think you can get on their website. I hope you got to check out the Scott Fisher Band while in Oregon. I stumbled upon them while visiting Seattle and I was really impressed. Sorry this is so long, but I think what you're doing is great and I hope you get the most out of your visit to BR. Welcome! If you need any more information, just drop me a note. Good luck on your journey -- I envy your job (I'm an auditor!).
  5. Kirstin Squint
    March 30, 2006 at 8:00pm
    Hey Tim, If you're looking for a musical event that's off the beaten path, and you're in Baton Rouge on April 1st, you can't miss the annual "Mudd-In" celebration, a birthday party for Muddy Waters, at Teddy's Juke Joint on Scenic Highway. Just 16.5 miles north of LSU (approx. 25 minute drive), Teddy's Juke Joint www.teddysjukejoint.com/thejukejoint.cfm is "an authentic Louisiana juke joint" and lies hidden in the shade of towering trees just off of the highway. The event begins at noon, and there will be free food and music. The music kicks off at 3:00 p.m. with Baton Rouge's hot up-and-coming band, the Andy Squint Blues Trio, who will be playing until 6:00 p.m. Andy Squint fronts the band on guitar, vocals, and harmonica. Sam Hogan, son of Louisiana blues legend, Silas Hogan, holds down the rhythm on drums, and King Solomon will accompany on bass. The headliner, blues artist Bryan Lee, will be performing at 8:00 p.m. You can find a map to Teddy's on the home page of Andy Squint's website: www.andysquint.com. Hope to see you there! Kirstin ;)
  6. energy0m
    March 30, 2006 at 8:02pm
    le bon temps is the bomb .... they always have good shows there... and confirmed on the chimes ... beer joint but not much more ..
  7. Ian
    March 30, 2006 at 9:57pm
    hey Tim, I love the site and have been listening alot and turning friends on to it as well. If you come to baton rouge on the 1st, a really kick ass band (Low Country Audio) will be playing at the best music club in BR, Chelseas Cafe, plus it's the remodeled grand opening... so you must come and check it out. My name is Ian and feel free to contact me by e-mail if you have any questions. Hope to see you there.(www.chelseascafe.com) P.S. Chelseas also serves up some good creole food that won't dissapoint. Also, the Red Star and Spanish Moon are nice but don't have nearly the music scene as Chelseas....trust me..one music lover to another!!
  8. dan H
    March 31, 2006 at 5:53am
    Re South Louisiana. Be sure to go to Cafe Des Amis in Breaux Bridge, La. Wonderful food, art and music. . .. ANd, on Saturday mornings in Eunice, the best Cajun jam session in the world, at Savoy's Music Shop, 'till noon: beer, boudin, acoustic instruments played by the local cajuns just for "fun." Dancing, etc. Also, in New Orleans, be sure to go to Mid-City Lanes Rock-n-Bowl: bowling alley, bar, and great local music. .. real new orleans. Also, Maple Leaf Bar, Le Bon Temps Roulet, and Dos Jefes, all Uptown . .. the real deal. See: http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf?domain=music&kids=&wday=&type=&region=34&range=7&x=50&y=6 good luck, and let me know if I can assist.
  9. Debbie S
    March 31, 2006 at 6:54am
    Hi Tim, Welcome to the real LA ;~) I am in Southwest La...Lake Charles exactly. Since the hurricane my main LA man is Tab Beniot. He is promoting an album to save the wetlands which was recorded before Katrina! Anyone helping in that regard is my hero since the experience with Hurricane Rita last year. Love your Pandora Project keep up the good work.
  10. chris
    March 31, 2006 at 4:15pm
    If you are really looking for good music in Baton Rouge, check out Red Star. It is a small nice bar down town and is probably one of the few bars down here that plays original bands. Most bars down here really focus on great cover bands probably because most people want to here music they are familiar with. I like to listen to bands to discover new music and you are not going to find that at the caterie or most bars down here for that manner. Check out Red Star i promise you want regret it.

Reply to Phree Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )