Comments

1. T
    March 31, 2006 at 7:48pm
    Hey Tim, I'm not sure how many Mississippi folks will know of Pandora. I found out from the Wizard of Ads weekly email. I love it, and will surely do my part to get the word out. Bands. Mississippi music. There's tons of it being made in little studios throughout the state. Live playing has diminished a lot (no pay), but I can tell you it's thriving in the local little professional and home studios. My favorite is the music of Tom Powers and Tim Orsi out of Hattiesburg--home of Southern Miss University. They call themselve, "The Rub�." Much akin to Steely Dan in recording style--no live playing these days, but plenty of live performance through their career. They're old school. They're new school. It's been said they sound like no one while sounding like everyone. Power blues-based, mixed with rock, gospel, a funky New Orleans blend and current metro sounds threading throughout. Dance to it. Sing to it. Groove to it. The Rub rules. I can send a sample if you like. Just reply to the e-mail and ask. In the meantime, good luck on the tour, and keep up the great work!
  2. Karen Pitts
    April 01, 2006 at 1:53pm
    Please, Lisisten to me.. there is a muscian in Mobile Al. His name is Corky Hughes. He taught me everything, but above and beyond that , this man can scream the blues...He is so hot...., u have to see him. He plays local, all ya gotta do is say his name. He is an old seasoned lover of the truth and plays it so, Do yourself a favor, see him. Say his old love is proud.. he rocks....
  3. JaSin
    April 01, 2006 at 7:04pm
    Tim, This site is the Best. I live in Southern MS. Michael's bar off I-10 has great local bands. I have told as many people as I can about Pandora. Since the storm I haven't been to many places but bands are everywhere. Watch Your tires if you venture off main roads in Biloxi/Gulfport.
  4. Tim Westergren
    April 03, 2006 at 7:30am
    Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I'm a big Steely Dan fan. Guess it makes sense that music would head in that direcdtion if there's less of the live performance. Corky Hughes sounds like a great find - I'll have to see about hitting AL. Tim
  5. Katherine
    April 20, 2006 at 7:39pm
    If you are in Oxford, definitely go to Proud Larry's, they usually have good music. Another good place is Two Stick--sushi by day, good music by night. DayBreakDown is a really good MS band, but I'm not sure what their schedule is right now. On a non-music note, you have to eat lunch at Ajax's in Oxford!! They have the best vegetables and jalapeno corn bread I have ever had!
  6. Ken Foster
    April 27, 2006 at 8:38pm
    Tim: Don't even THINK of running through NC without a trip to the gorgeous Cape Fear/Wilmington area - an hour's drive north of Myrtle Beach, SC, and home to both the Soapbox and Marrz - where I gotten to check out The Sword and Early Man and a handful of other smaller acts touring through here that I discovered at Pandora...I would never even have bothered with them if it weren't for Pandora - the service has renewed my love of new music, like a hungry wolf on the hunt...and has made my office life a lot more tolerable! Keep it up - Get out East!
  7. clay
    April 28, 2006 at 4:22pm
    you need to hit Morgan freeman's bar in clarksdale, MS..The delta blues is religion in those parts. I'll take ya. Email me.
  8. Ariel
    April 28, 2006 at 7:02pm
    I also think you should come to Oxford, Mississippi. We have great venues for live bands and its just a really eclectic arts and literature type town in general. The Kudzu Kings are great and they are playing The Library April 29. They have been around for a while and are a true Oxford band, very fun and playful. The Burnside Exploration consist of Cedric and Gary Burnside, the legendary bluesman R.L. Burnsides' grandson and son. They will be at Longshot on April 29 as well, these guys play some of the best blues around. This is all happening during our Double Decker Festival which features Marty Stuart and Dr. John. I don't work for the tourism council or anything, but I am an Oxford native, if you can't make it up for these, don't worry there is always good music to be heard.
  9. carrington
    May 03, 2006 at 1:12pm
    pandora is what i listen to everyday at work... you need to make a trip to NC!! Greensboro especially!!
  10. Silvia
    July 15, 2006 at 4:15pm
    Guy...you must come to Charlotte! There is so much hyper musical variety and mellow suthern funk that you'll stay here longer than expected. Hurry...post your dates and don't forget to invite me.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )