Update: The Charlottesville meetup will be on Monday, September 18th, 2006 at Gravity Lounge (103 South First St), starting at 6:30pm. Please RSVP by sending an email to tour@pandora.com with ‘Charlottesville’ in the subject line.
Charlottesville looks like it’s going to be the place where I’m launching my fall tour. What better place to start than the home of DMB… Looking like September. My itinerary is still a work in progress, though local listeners in Charlottesville can definitely expect a town hall meeting. Seen a lot of energy for Norfolk, Roanoke, Virginia Beach and others on our blog comments. Hoping to hit UVA, and other schools too – any students out there with suggestions? I’ve really enjoyed the campus visits we’ve had so far. Please leave any comments or suggestions you may have below.
We love reading and responding to your feedback on the blog – the comments have been a treasure trove of great insights and guidance as we plan our visits. If you have a particular idea you want to discuss, or just want to get more involved, we’re eager for help – just drop us an email at tour@pandora.com. Please include your location in the subject line of your message too. No idea is too big or small!

Comments

1. Ben
    May 01, 2006 at 12:49pm
    You really should swing by Norfolk, VA. We're home to the Norva. Little did I know that it's been said to have some of the best acustics on the East Coast. I've been in it a few times and I must say, they weren't lying. Another great thing about the Norva is that it's just the right size to have both local and mainstream talent perform there. It really is worth the look.
  2. Rima
    May 04, 2006 at 7:07pm
    I third the motion on Floyd. If you happen to be in Virginia in mid-july, I would greatly recommend Floyd Fest: www.floydfest.com or on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/floydfest Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Staunton, VA yet. It's full of young local talent. I especially recommend checking out The Sad Lives of the Hollywood Lovers: thesadlivesofthehollywoodlovers.com http://www.myspace.com/thesadlives
  3. Sarah Marino
    May 04, 2006 at 7:37pm
    If you can make it to the VA beach/ norfolk area you definatly need to check out skinnies record store. Its amazing, check out there site: http://www.skinniesrecords.com/
  4. J. MICHAEL
    May 05, 2006 at 1:23pm
    MareE, Is right if you are in Richmond you' ve gotta go to the Cary Street Cafe and check out "The Grove", they are a phenomenal jam band made up of kids mostly from the southside of Richmond......also The DJ Williams project plays every week at Cafe Diem and The Bubble Bar. Two great bands.
  5. greg
    May 05, 2006 at 6:59pm
    I want to second the suggestion regarding The Carter Family Fold. You will be hard-pressed to find a more authentic experience.
  6. Erica
    May 08, 2006 at 8:06pm
    Here in Hampton/Newport News/VA Beach, my neighbor actually sings for a band called Snackbar Jones, I haven't gotten a chance to hear them since I'm a family gal and don't frequent bars but my friends tell me they sound pretty good, she also sings for the Handstamps. One band I CAN vouch for is GRASS, they just got back together, but they are in Birch Run Michigan, here is their myspace URL- http://www.myspace.com/grassbomb You can actually sample some of their music from there. Oh, and if you go through Alaska and hit up Anchorage there's a band I heard at Chill Coot Charlies called Spank the Monkey, don't know if they're still around but they do an awesome version of Baby Got Back with the guitar. I tried finding them online again but alas, it's been too long. :) Good luck to you in your travels, if you have any q's let me know, I'll try to help you out! (Anything for the sake of musical appreciation)
  7. Cynque
    May 14, 2006 at 2:01pm
    Greetings, VA covers such an eclectic mix of musical sounds. There is so many unheard and non club playing musicians that do it just for the music. I saw this percussionist in fredericksburg that combined so many genres that is was musicorgasmic. World instruments of various caliber and turntable mixes of all musical styles from unknown origins. He seemed to just live in what he played. His name was C. greene and what his card said was percussion productions. I truely would like to see this cat again. I haven't had my soul shaken since i was a kid in the holy roly church. Peace to all and Pandora-the greatest concept ever Little john
  8. R.T.
    May 14, 2006 at 8:20pm
    If you are planning to run through Northern VA, check out these guys: www.myspace.com/trainrobbersyndicate They've been playing a few places in VA and PA over the past three or four years; very chill,
  9. Shaun Irving
    May 19, 2006 at 7:45am
    I've read through a lot of your blog recommendations for your VA trip. Here are mine: --Floyd, VA and The Crooked Road (www.thecrookedroad.org). CR is the musical heritage trail of VA, the heart and soul of bluegrass and country for the state. Floydfest is held in August (www.floydfest.com) and worth the buzz. --WFLO studios in Farmville, VA. This small-town radio station is what I picture WROX in Clarksdale as post-renovation. It's the kind of place where swing shows share the broadcast band with local talk shows, gospel, adult contemporary, oldies music, birthday announcements, and "The Tradin' Post" (where you call in to let folks know you've got hay bales or an old lawnmower for sale). It's also home to Henry Fulcher's weekly broadcast (the longest-running bluegrass show in America, from what I know). Think walls of vinyl and an AM transmitter that predates WWII. --The Richmond music scene is going through its awkward years... we lost a few of our good medium-sized venues in the past decade and ABC crackdowns have made it less attractive for show promoters. Probably the three best small clubs are: AlleyKatz: tiny club, wide range of regional touring acts. Nanci Raygun: Quantity of music more than quality. Bands every night, many times 5 or 6 of them. Mostly young local rockers, the club is in the heart of VCU (one of the nation's top art schools). You'll get some gems here. Poe's Pub: Slightly redneck, older crowd, and an eclectic mix of tunes... but always a good show (and there's somebody playing most nights). The food there mirrors that--unpretentious and delicious. one night, it's rockabilly... the next, it's accordion music. I consider Poe's to be the most underrated and little-known of Richmond's music venues. --The Gospel Chickenhouse in Montpelier ("The Longest Running Weekly Gospel Sing in the Nation"). It's a real chickenhouse... It's real gospel music. About 20 miles from Richmond. http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gospelchickenhouse/
  10. Undead Loverboy
    May 25, 2006 at 12:05am
    Blitzkid is Southwest Virginia's hottest stage act, not to mention on par with the guys they're most often compared to, a little band called The Misfits. Their bassist is participating with ex-Misfits guitarist, Doyle, in a new band called Gorgeous Frankenstein, but remaining in Blitzkid as well. Danzig is producing the GF record in Vegas. Horror Rock is a newly rejuvinated genre with young phenoms such as Blitzkid (Bluefield, Virginia), Mister Monster (Jersey), Nekromantix (LA), Koffin Kats (Detroit), Zombie Ghost Train (Austrailia), and many more. Blitzkid go on tour pretty often though, so you could probably catch them all along the East Coast. Their next tour is in Germany, though! Exciting.

Reply to jess Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )