We had a great get-together last Thursday in our very own hometown of Oakland, CA at a perfect spot called Preservation Park, right downtown.

Town Hall_Oakland 12.8.jpgA really large crowd showed up, loaded with lots of questions and comments:
There were many questions about how we decide what music goes in Pandora, and on how artists are paid – including from a number of musicians whose music is on Pandora. There were also questions and suggestions about advertising on our site – is it targeted? For example, one married attendee asked about the frequency of dating site ads…I assured her this wasn’t a hint of any kind!

Pandora is very conservative on this issue, and it is heartening that our listeners also have a pragmatic attitude about the business benefits – good thing considering how Pandora works!

Folks also had a lot of questions about specific stations (Allman Band, Led Zeppelin, flamenco music…) with an equal mix of complaints and compliments – one thing that our attendees learned, as did I, is that our suggestion option isn’t as obvious as it could be. Need to fix that.

I was particularly struck by the number of people who were interested in Pandora’s relationship to the local community, and how we see community work and philanthropy in terms of our company’s mission. That’s a major topic inside Pandora right now. We’ve been doing a lot, but are thinking strategically about how to expand. Oakland definitely has a lot of community pride. It’s great to finally be able to meaningfully contribute to our community.

Really heartwarming question from someone to close off the evening: “how can we be better listeners?” Pretty cool 🙂

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. geox
    January 10, 2012 at 3:24am
    Great article!!!!!!!!!
  2. don
    January 10, 2012 at 5:20am
    For the love of God get off the Christmas music....
  3. Jet Set Roma
    January 10, 2012 at 5:26am
    Hi there, I love your project, I am from Italy and it is a pity indeed that we cannot access your service from here... Do you plan to extend it in the future? Thanks a lot
  4. Rob Colburn
    January 10, 2012 at 11:53am
    Feature Request: When pandora changes tracks, please update the Window Title to something like "SONG TITLE - ARTIST - Pandora Radio". This would allow me to know the name of that song simply by hovering my mouse over the tab without switching tabs.
  5. Miles
    January 10, 2012 at 7:44pm
    I have started to use Pandora more and more but never at length. I am on the road and have spent more time than usual in my hotel room for the last four days - so I have had my "Jackson Browne" station on the entire time. I like it - for the most part, but... here is the thing I don't understand. How come you play the same songs by Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Neil Young (separate albums) I understand about playing a variety of artists that are like the one I chose to be the main one but... I have heard the same song played by the above artists in the last few days and I would think I would hear different songs as you have not even scratched the surface of the albums played. There is one exception - Elton John. With him, you do Play a variety of songs and I don't think I have any repeat.
  6. chase barton
    January 11, 2012 at 9:11am
    idk anything about this but i didnt know how else to get in touch with someone, and i love the station but yall need to have the lyrics to every song on here.
  7. mike
    January 14, 2012 at 3:22am
    town hall meting was great and was good to see what is on people's minds and their reactions to various music. Songs continue to be great.
  8. Lee
    January 14, 2012 at 10:48am
    Just to see all those members at a Pandora convention demonstrates the success and support that Pandora has had over the past years. I think Pandora is one of the best internet radios out and I will continue to support it no matter what. I have Pandora for my Blackberry and I can't do one day without listening to it which show how much I love it.
  9. 10 Bellevue
    January 14, 2012 at 5:55pm
    Hi! - Is there a pandora app available for blackberry playbook? or for my HTC windows phone? I got both of them recently and would like to hook them up with some music. We listen to pandora all the time at work 10 Bellevue but I would like to listen to it when I don't have a computer in front of me! Thanks in advance!
  10. Chicago painter
    January 16, 2012 at 9:59am
    I run painting company. Do I have to register Pandora to listen the music during work in customer house? We have smartphone connected to Makita Radio and stream through the phone.