We had a great get-together last Thursday in our very own hometown of Oakland, CA at a perfect spot called Preservation Park, right downtown.

Town Hall_Oakland 12.8.jpgA really large crowd showed up, loaded with lots of questions and comments:
There were many questions about how we decide what music goes in Pandora, and on how artists are paid – including from a number of musicians whose music is on Pandora. There were also questions and suggestions about advertising on our site – is it targeted? For example, one married attendee asked about the frequency of dating site ads…I assured her this wasn’t a hint of any kind!

Pandora is very conservative on this issue, and it is heartening that our listeners also have a pragmatic attitude about the business benefits – good thing considering how Pandora works!

Folks also had a lot of questions about specific stations (Allman Band, Led Zeppelin, flamenco music…) with an equal mix of complaints and compliments – one thing that our attendees learned, as did I, is that our suggestion option isn’t as obvious as it could be. Need to fix that.

I was particularly struck by the number of people who were interested in Pandora’s relationship to the local community, and how we see community work and philanthropy in terms of our company’s mission. That’s a major topic inside Pandora right now. We’ve been doing a lot, but are thinking strategically about how to expand. Oakland definitely has a lot of community pride. It’s great to finally be able to meaningfully contribute to our community.

Really heartwarming question from someone to close off the evening: “how can we be better listeners?” Pretty cool 🙂

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Max
    January 06, 2012 at 5:45pm
    A couple of weeks my Pandora broadcast started cutting out in the middle of songs. Just for split seconds, but it ruins the listening. It also cuts out even worse when I move the mouse. Right now I just checked out a competing online radio station it had no such problem. So I assume that this problem is with Pandora and not my internet connection. And this PC has a 2.60 GHz processor with 4GB of memory. Too bad. I really like the way Pandora allows you to use a song as your music genre. I’ve only looked at 2 competitors so far and they don’t do that. Btw, this is the only avenue I see on the website to give feedback like this (i.e. “no contact us” link).
  2. bütün gazeteler
    January 07, 2012 at 3:17pm
    Thanks again for your time and vision
  3. George Beddoe
    January 07, 2012 at 4:01pm
    My wife and I love Pandora on her new Ipad 2. We'd rather have song lyrics than the bio.
  4. Gil
    January 07, 2012 at 5:26pm
    I really think Pandora should expand more to other countries. Although I understand that on many countries the government can be very strict, like China. But there are many out there that are very lenient and easy to expand into.
  5. Jeff Boos
    January 08, 2012 at 10:44am
    Hi Gil, Jeff from Pandora here... Thanks for the note. We are still working on acquiring the proper licenses to accommodate them in each country. You can sign up to be notified when this happens by going to http://pandora.com/restricted Thanks for your patience in the meantime. We definitely appreciate your support!
  6. julie
    January 09, 2012 at 8:01am
    i can't locate a contact address for your company, but would like to say: i love pandora. i don't mind the ads much, but is there ANY way to customize the adds or "thumb down" a certain one? the target ad with the whiney kids makes me want to claw my eyes out.
  7. Jeff Boos
    January 09, 2012 at 9:05am
    Glad to hear it! Thanks for listening! -Jeff (Pandora)
  8. Jeff Boos
    January 09, 2012 at 9:09am
    Hi Max, Sorry for any trouble. Please email us through our Help page (help.pandora.com) Here is the direct link to the email form: https://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/emails/new We'd be happy to help. Thanks for listening! - Jeff (Pandora)
  9. Jeff Boos
    January 09, 2012 at 9:10am
    Hi George, Glad you and your wife are enjoying Pandora. We appreciate the suggestion for the iPad. Thanks for listening! - Jeff (Pandora)
  10. Jeff Boos
    January 09, 2012 at 9:16am
    Hi Julie, Thanks for the feedback. Ads are a very important part of our business, and we're still trying to get that perfect balance. Thanks for listening!