Well that just about sums it up. Thanks to everyone who showed up this evening for the Virginia Tech get together. Great lively discussion. Lots of very interesting thoughts and questions from about 150 students and Blacksburg locals in attendance. I was particularly struck by the interest in use of audience members to work on the genome. ‘Flashify’ the training and data input process to select the best analysts, and ‘wiki-fy’ the collection of musical information. There is certainly a strong current of enthusiasm for that approach – of which our process is most definitely not an example. It’s a conversation I’m looking forward to continuing in the years ahead.
VTechTownHall.jpg
Tonight’s event has me particularly excited about the upcoming college visits we have planned.
Sorry for those who didn’t get hats/shirts – drop me a note and I’ll make sure you get one. Also let me know if you have blogs/photos we should link to.
cheers to everyone. Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. inund8
    September 14, 2006 at 6:38pm
    I think pandora has a huge potential to become a starting point for indie artists. People who make music on their computers should be able to submit it to pandora, along with the arrangment, etc and all the info required for classifying their song WITHOUT having a label OR a UPC or having to physically send in a CD. Combining this with a wiki system would be AMAZING! As well, as making the MGP easy to view, it would be more "democratic"
  2. Meghan Roberts
    September 14, 2006 at 9:01pm
    Please, please, please come to CANADA! We're so close and it would be great to get some more CanContent on your station. I'm from Toronto and we have some great artists here, but Montreal is also a great nesting ground for some interesting and unique independent bands that would be perfect to add to your musical database. Keep it up, it's a great concept. And come to CANADA!
  3. Anthony Loera
    September 15, 2006 at 7:30am
    Dude, imagine everyone walking on the streets of a major metroplitan area listening to pandora, from a device like a walkman...It can happen fast, just... tweak Pandora to play on a pocketpc smartphone... I think you maybe able to do this with the latest flash for pocketpc here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer_pocketpc/ You guys have a seriously awesome oppertunity, dont let it slip by!
  4. Wakachan
    September 15, 2006 at 8:19am
    PLEASE COME TO CANADA!!!
  5. Empress
    September 15, 2006 at 9:10am
    Is there any way we can merge radio stations we've created?
  6. Tony Sansone
    September 25, 2006 at 3:14pm
    This site rules. I love that it never stops playing. You do need to get a couple of songs like ( let your chain hang low ) by:Jibbs
  7. Gustavo Escobedo
    September 25, 2006 at 5:22pm
    Hey guys, thanks for your endeavours. It is very interesting to see what actually comes up in the related fields. The system seems to be fairly spot on, although some tracks come on that realy diverge from the original artist. A possible listener option might be to say: never play salsa, or, never play anything with shrill horn section, or, please never put any songs by celine dion or Dave Mathews! That would nip it in the bud for some of us. Thanks again for your great idea. It's fun to explore. I find myself crossing the house from the kitchen to see what is playing or to click the thumbs up and down. Gus
  8. Annoymous
    September 26, 2006 at 11:33am
    Instead of listening to the radio too find other songs that you want you should let your viewers view a list of what they may want. This way viewers can find a whole lsit of songs that they like in a matter of minutes instead of 6 songs per half an hour.
  9. Katie
    September 27, 2006 at 2:51pm
    I love Pandora! I'm in a jazz band that does covers, and I'm always looking for new stuff. I've found so much! I've rediscovered some old faves, and made some new discoveries. One thing I would love Pandora to have is a random option. I created a station using many different artists (Joss Stone, Elvis Costello, Bonnie Raitt, BareNaked Ladies, The Jayhawks) hoping that would create what I was looking for...but what seems to be happening is that songs that are similar to Artist A play for about 30 min, then Artist B starts up for the next 30 min, and so on. I would love it if I had the option to make the mix more random! And I love the previous suggestions to be able to print out the list of songs I liked. Overall, this site is amazing. I'm really looking forward to see what you guys come up with next. Katie Sacramento, CA
  10. Ron Studley
    September 29, 2006 at 1:28pm
    I just wanted to thank you for pandora.It's what makes the internet enjoyable,having sites like this.I've found songs that I haven't heard in years.I feel like a kid in a candy store. Peace , Ron studley

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )