Well that just about sums it up. Thanks to everyone who showed up this evening for the Virginia Tech get together. Great lively discussion. Lots of very interesting thoughts and questions from about 150 students and Blacksburg locals in attendance. I was particularly struck by the interest in use of audience members to work on the genome. ‘Flashify’ the training and data input process to select the best analysts, and ‘wiki-fy’ the collection of musical information. There is certainly a strong current of enthusiasm for that approach – of which our process is most definitely not an example. It’s a conversation I’m looking forward to continuing in the years ahead.
VTechTownHall.jpg
Tonight’s event has me particularly excited about the upcoming college visits we have planned.
Sorry for those who didn’t get hats/shirts – drop me a note and I’ll make sure you get one. Also let me know if you have blogs/photos we should link to.
cheers to everyone. Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Rebecca
    September 12, 2006 at 10:45pm
    Hi , its sounds like you guys are having a blast !! , Rebecca
  2. joe bruzzese
    September 12, 2006 at 10:57pm
    Incredible! Pandora is one of those innovations that brings the world to our doorstep through the power of collaboration. I consider this project a part of what we at www.thinking-forward.com would love to bring to our clients as a part of the process for vision and innovation. Well done!
  3. Brian
    September 13, 2006 at 5:29am
    Im not really tech savy. but i wish i didnt have to use a us # when can you bring this amazing site world wide??
  4. Lisa
    September 13, 2006 at 5:18pm
    Great job Tim! I would love to learn more about this!
  5. jason
    September 13, 2006 at 7:46pm
    pandora is by far and away the best website on the net..its amazing the music genome project is a credit to whoever is involved..it has made music so much easier to access and easier to enjoy the layout is amazing and the information and information surrounding the bands is outstanding!i would like to thank u personally for putting in so much work i just wanted to say that i didnt know where else to leave a comment so i said i would leave here!thank you talk ta ya soon...
  6. Kelley
    September 14, 2006 at 12:41pm
    Come to Madison, WI!!!!! Please!!!!!
  7. Dirk
    September 14, 2006 at 1:58pm
    If you are driving down I-70, then why aren't you stopping anywhere before you get to Boulder? Boulder, you might know, is not the be all end all of university towns, especially not on I-70. May I suggest University of Missouri, University of Kansas, Kansas State University, St. Louis University, Washington University, the list goes on and on and on. Travelling straight through from Indy to Boulder is like travelling straight through from Paris to Moscow. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of places to see in between.
  8. Christian
    September 14, 2006 at 4:27pm
    Good stuff! If you get a chance, try coming down to New Zealand - we have a great ska/dub scene, as well as a close knit community of local bands here in Auckland.
  9. Dylan Davis
    September 14, 2006 at 4:33pm
    Drop in Oklahoma if you can make the time.
  10. Diane
    September 14, 2006 at 4:44pm
    Count me in as another old-timer who's excited to have found Pandora! I'm exploring the world of jazz and I go home and go on and on to my family about the new artists I'm discovering. This feels like when I was a teenager when I would listen to bebop and scat on the radio at 2 a.m. because that's when we got a clear signal from Chicago (I lived in Milwaukee). Since I've only discovered this site recently after reading about it on a list I'm on, I missed out when you visited Seattle in May. I hope you make it back here soon. I also want to chime in on two ideas I'm seeing here. The first one I agree with is the ability to add songs/artists to a text file so you can take it with you to a store is a good idea. Although I'm building a lengthy page of favorites, it would be nice to be able to sort the list. The second one is the multiple radio list so that you can select a few lists that alternate every hour or so. Although, I will say that I've noticed that to some extent, there is some of that happening already. I don't know if this is random or programmed in, but I've noticed that there is a tendency to change pace every so often. So that a few soft or slow songs are followed by more energetic songs. Or there will be a few songs in a row that follow a certain style, or perhaps, it is following one of its attribute settings. For example, there may be a few in a row that have more of a latin rhythm, then an attribute from the last song, like a sax, will be picked up for a few songs. You can usually hear which attribute is being followed across a line of songs. So this brings me to something I've wondered about--what if you were allowed to select attributes that you like in the song so you could set up a line of songs with specific characteristics? Not that I don't like random, because I do. But there are certain songs that I like because of a specific thing in that song and I've wondered if it would be possible to create a line for that particular thing. For example, if I like the sitar in a Beatle's song, could I select that attribute and listen to other songs that use a similar effect? I mean, I have been setting up stations for specific songs that I like, but a song can have so many attributes that the line may not pick up on what I'm looking for. Also, someone else mentioned that you can select songs that you don't like and it refines the station. The problem is that sometimes I'm selecting likes and don't likes and then the music goes off into a different direction that I don't like and I wish I could go back to a line of songs that I was really enjoying and make it go more in that direction of attributes, but I don't know how to do that. I hope I don't sound like too much of a control freak. I'm just really picky about what I listen to and before Pandora, I didn't have the time or resources to go through a bunch of music to figure out what I like.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )