Well that just about sums it up. Thanks to everyone who showed up this evening for the Virginia Tech get together. Great lively discussion. Lots of very interesting thoughts and questions from about 150 students and Blacksburg locals in attendance. I was particularly struck by the interest in use of audience members to work on the genome. ‘Flashify’ the training and data input process to select the best analysts, and ‘wiki-fy’ the collection of musical information. There is certainly a strong current of enthusiasm for that approach – of which our process is most definitely not an example. It’s a conversation I’m looking forward to continuing in the years ahead.
VTechTownHall.jpg
Tonight’s event has me particularly excited about the upcoming college visits we have planned.
Sorry for those who didn’t get hats/shirts – drop me a note and I’ll make sure you get one. Also let me know if you have blogs/photos we should link to.
cheers to everyone. Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Don Tietig
    September 05, 2006 at 9:35pm
    Please caontact me regarding this asome opportunity.
  2. Michael Rihani
    September 05, 2006 at 10:09pm
    Excellent talk Tim! Thanks for being down to earth and going the extra mile. Students had some great ideas and I see nothing but more success coming out of the Music Genome Project. Please keep it real and don't sell out to the big guys! Keep up the good work and thanks for putting VT on your list of colleges to visit... We enjoyed your stay and wish you luck!
  3. Thomas Upton
    September 06, 2006 at 6:37am
    Thanks for the great talk, Tim. I agree that the wikification could help the community side of the process. The most enticing topic of the night, which I discussed here ( http://thomas.fiveuptons.com/blog/?p=87 ), is showing the user the musical profile that has been created by the system based on his ratings and types of stations. The ability to tweak those opinions is intrinsic to this feature being awesome.
  4. sergey
    September 07, 2006 at 3:04am
    Thank you friends!!!For music!!!For grate american project PANDORA!!!
  5. sergey
    September 07, 2006 at 3:12am
    Hello friends!!I am from RUSSIA!!You are my best friends!!
  6. susan bono
    September 07, 2006 at 11:08pm
    You make this middle-aged woman ridiculously happy with the perfect mix of the familiar and the strange. And if the music even begins to veer in a direction that doesn't delight me, a little nudge from me (and an apology from you), sets you back on track again. I know there aren't little people in my computer taking care of me, but thanks to all the people at Pandora who make this thing work like magic!
  7. Tom Allen
    September 08, 2006 at 11:46am
    Have you decided on putting any of the Rock Star SuperNova rockers on? You should still consider Tulsa, OK on your tour. Cap and T would be great if you could arrange it. Keep up the really great work!
  8. Josh
    September 08, 2006 at 4:12pm
    I truly enjoy the Pandora program! If you are near Williamsburg through the month of october, there are going to be a lot of bands playing at Busch Gardens. They are usually pretty decent.
  9. RJP
    September 08, 2006 at 6:25pm
    How can I start to tell all of you reading this how beautiful and precious this gift of music really is? I am an older man, who remembers having to hear Jimi Hendrix to Cat Stevens to John Coltrane to Bob Dylan to Johnny Mayall to Aretha Franklin over a home made radio that had a single ear piece for one ear when I was just learning about music as a pre-teen in the 60's. Listen to all that can be heard here. What a great project this is! Don't leave anything absent in your musical experience. Try to find artist that you never heard of and listen on!
  10. Solulo
    September 09, 2006 at 1:29am
    Sometimes your music is kicking so please fix that becuase I love your music so much and it makes me happy. Thanx 4rm Solulo.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )