We’ve crossed the ten-year mark at Pandora. It has been a long and winding road, but never have I been more excited about the future. We’re on the cusp of a massive transformation in the way music is discovered and distributed and everything we’ve done has put us in a position to be the force behind that change.

pandora_analysts[2]When we analysed “Dancing Queen” by Abba (the very first song in the Music Genome Project) we had no idea what lay ahead. We were too naïve to realise just how absurd our idea was. It took about 30 minutes to analyse that single track. We listened multiple times to capture every detail of the recording. Close to 200 attributes were notated using pen and paper, then double-checked by a second music analyst before being transcribed into an Excel spreadsheet. Who knew that this intensive, detailed, manual process would become the foundation for personalised radio.

But now, looking back, it all makes sense. All that time building the Music Genome Project, manually analysing one song at a time turned out to be just the right ingredient for an effortless and delightful listening experience. Add to that feedback you have provided – not only your billions of hours of listening, but more than 55 billion thumbs (that’s 8 thumbs for every person on earth), and we have a once in a lifetime chance to do something profound. To fundamentally change the way people enjoy and discover music, and to reinvent the way musicians find an audience and build sustainable careers.Print

And that is where we’re now turning our attention. There are more than 200,000 artists in Pandora’s catalog. The vast majority of these musicians, a sea of talent and untapped potential, have never had any radio play, and never will. There’s simply no room on ever-narrowing FM playlists. But on Pandora they have a home, and with 80 million music fans listening over 20 hours every month, the opportunity for connection is completely unprecedented. We’re gonna build it, and hand them the keys.

We look forward to creating this bright future with you; unleashing the infinite power of music and realising for each of you an effortless and delightful connection to the best music available, and for every artist, the career they deserve.

Check out your local Pandora Facebook page over the next week for some music trivia fun and giveaways, but for now join us in the celebration of our decade in music with the Pandora 10 Year Anniversary Mixtape.

Tune in for the next 10 years and we are so excited to have you along for the ride.

1. Lena Hordge
    September 06, 2015 at 5:43pm
    Great job well done.
    1. Sofia L.
      September 11, 2015 at 5:28pm
      Pandora helps me relax in the afternoon with the 80s and 90s best hits from a stressful day at work. Fantastic!
    2. Gary Floyd
      September 11, 2015 at 7:21pm
      You're my Hero! Thank you so much.
    3. L
      September 30, 2015 at 8:20pm
      Pandora is the best thing since the invention of the ipod. Just love it. Never listen to radio anymore unless it is last a resort.
  2. Marilyn Patton
    September 07, 2015 at 1:14pm
    Tim, you all have done an amazing job. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when you took the lyrics away. But now some of the lyrics are coming back and I am over-the-moon happy!! Please don't forget the lyrics of Spanish songs, either! I love learning the language and find seeing the lyrics as I listen helps more than you could ever know. Makes the experience very enjoyable. You have, indeed, done so much to make Pandora better, but bringing back the lyrics , as well as the song writers and other background info, has been your biggest gift to all of your listeners. Thank you so much!
    1. Sheila
      September 09, 2015 at 5:52am
      Yes, that's soon true for me too! Pandora, keep doing what you are doing!! ♡
  3. Kendall
    September 07, 2015 at 1:59pm
    I don't listen to radio anymore. Just Pandora & cd's!
  4. danitza m eladjoe
    September 07, 2015 at 4:31pm
    Love pandora thank God for founder Tim Westergren way to go keep up the excellent work ...so far you have given us the best and outstanding music radio on the web ....never quit !!!! Hope to hear more from you all and update me with the latest news about you all!!!! Sincerely Danitza M Eladjoe
  5. K Mobley
    September 08, 2015 at 11:51pm
    WOW! TEN YEARS ALREADY! !? Thank you for coming up with such a great concept! I listen to Pandora every day and set the timer every night. Here's to another ten years!
  6. peter kingson
    September 09, 2015 at 1:15pm
    You all are blessed by God thanks For all the good classical music P K
  7. Sharon McCain, Reno NV.
    September 10, 2015 at 10:49am
    We listen to Pandora 9 hours every day. We have speakers in 2 main rooms in our home, and 4 more speakers on our huge outside patio. We start Happy Hour at 3:00 p.m. and turn up the speakers outside winter & summer. We are in our early 70's and were teenagers when Rock & Roll blasted on the scene. We're still dancing to those great songs. Can't thank you enough for all the joy you bring to our lives through great music. Sharon & Jerry
  8. Janice Bryant
    September 10, 2015 at 1:34pm
    Love, love, love your music and station! I especially love it when balancing my checkbook. The nature sounds are so relaxing and the sound of rain which we are not getting here in northern California is so beautiful. My hair dresser tipped me off to you. Thank you so much for your peace and tranquility!!
  9. Annie
    September 13, 2015 at 8:41am
    Thank you everyone at Pandora. I have to say not a day goes by that I don't tune in. Love comedy Icons after a stressful days work. And the choices of music to accompany my walks and other activities is awesome! I listen everywhere.
  10. Herbert lawoe
    September 14, 2015 at 2:10pm

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )