UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. Sam Walkup
    March 24, 2014 at 8:11pm
    I do not understand!!!! I paid for your service after enjoying it free for sometime... however as soon as I paid the load time and quality of the connection is VERY POOR. it is like your system is overloaded. I need a fix or my money back!!!!
  2. Tony P
    March 25, 2014 at 7:38am
    I understand the need to increase the price of membership. You lost me when you eliminated the annual plan with a small discount. In reviewing other posts here, it appears you've lost quite a few other customers as well.
  3. John Smith
    March 25, 2014 at 7:48am
    I just cant understand the logic of removing the annual subscription. "Lets give our customers 12 opportunities every year to reassess whether or not they should be a paying subscriber". So odd.
  4. Wade Sims
    March 25, 2014 at 8:03am
    A 25% price increase matched with cancellation of an annual payment option is unacceptable business practices in this marketplace. I've been with Pandora since its inception, met Tim personally in the early days of the town-hall meetings, and I've been a very brand-loyal customer for many years. I can understand a price increase given the lack of profitability and squeezing by the music industry, but you have to introduce these increases marginally: 10-15% from year to year maximum. 25% is a tremendous jump, one I could probably forgive if we were able to keep the annual payment option through which I can rely on seasonal gifts to both give and receive subscriptions. Meanwhile, Spotify just introduced a price drop for students to $5 per month -- only $1 more for a much larger streaming library and personal library integration. I am seriously questioning whether I should stick with Pandora if this is considered to be acceptable fee structuring and business positioning, especially since i had to actually LOOK UP THE FEE INCREASE ONLINE rather than receiving an e-mail alert about it.
  5. PandoraSupport
    March 25, 2014 at 10:25am
    @Kerry @Joe @Ira @RSAS @Catintp @Joseph @Robert @Andy @Rick @Rob @Sarah @Sam @Tom @Deborah @Dominika @Gilligan @Leland @Tim @Molly @Jeff @Mary @Don @Mark @Robert @Larry @Tony @John @Wade Thank you for voicing your concerns. We appreciate hearing from each of you. Our Listener Advocates are collecting feedback. Please email them so it can be passed on and considered. http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 25, 2014 at 10:29am
      @Margaret @John @Sam Our Listener Advocates would be happy to answer any questions or concerns about our service. Please email them here for help: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
      1. John B. Abela
        March 28, 2014 at 1:43pm
        Why have a blog that accepts your customers to have the ability to post comments if your "Listener Advocates" are unwilling to heed our voices/comments on your blog. Why are you forcing all of us to have to share our concerns yet again in another place. If you don't want us voicing our thoughts via a blog and the powers-that-be are not reading our thoughts on this blog, then shut down this blog.
  6. BigScreen
    March 25, 2014 at 2:45pm
    Getting rid of the Annual Subscriptions is a really bad idea. Please reconsider. I have been a Pandora One subscriber for quite a while, but this will likely get me to move to another service. Please google "Qwikster" for some info on a recent bad decision made by a popular company against its customers.
  7. Clea Blackwolf (@TitanicMustSink)
    March 26, 2014 at 9:47am
    I have been a Pandora One subscriber for two years now. This would have been my third year. I do not like this change at all. I realize that the prices need to increase as the price to pay for music increases. I do not think that the yearly option should be removed. It was available before the monthly option was and should continue to be an option, just at an increased price. I will be continuing to pay for my Pandora One subscription until I can find another internet radio that suits my needs. If I can not find another good internet radio that has a reasonable yearly subscribing available, I will eventually be switching back to the free version of Pandora. Ads can’t be that bad.
  8. Sean
    March 27, 2014 at 6:28am
    I'm happy to pay the new subscription price. The service provided by Pandora is fantastic and well worth the price. It's the only "radio" that I listen to at home or in my car. Thanks Pandora for keeping things affordable. Keep up the great work!
    1. Rick
      March 27, 2014 at 2:46pm
      You're kidding right?
  9. Tuck
    March 27, 2014 at 11:24am
    I enjoyed Pandora but will be trying alternatives when my annual subscription ends. I would expect to be grandfathered in or at least cut a better deal than a 33% increase. Oh well, will talk with my $ and hope others follow.
  10. Mario
    March 27, 2014 at 6:37pm
    Well this is stupid on Pandora's part for the yearly sub I use Pandora every morning and night I think I use on a 24-7 basis I love the music is has but if they are going to do this well Im going to start looking into another music streamer and they are going to start losing loyal customers like myself and others well Pandora ya just screwed yourself out of money oh well

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )