UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. Rob Reynolds
    March 21, 2014 at 6:10pm
    I am all for loyalty prices--- I would be willing to continue on an annual subscription... not this monthly crud you guys are proposing... $48 for the year? If thats case, give me some more skips... and a yearly payment discount option as incentive... otherwise I will cancel my account and keep going with Amazon... since I already get thier movies as part of thier member program... streaming music is in it too...
  2. Sarah
    March 21, 2014 at 8:03pm
    I also strongly prefer an annual payment. I'm okay with a price increase, but really don't want a monthly payment.
  3. Sam
    March 22, 2014 at 2:21pm
    Ending the annual subscription option? Bye Bye Pandora. Hello Spotify
    1. Matt
      April 01, 2014 at 2:25pm
      Wow, you're willing to pay an extra $70+ just because Spotify will allow annual subscription purchases? (48 for Pandora, 120 for Spotify)
  4. Tom
    March 22, 2014 at 5:14pm
    Thinking about signing on to Pandora One but have to agree with the other posts an annual fee is the way I would want to go. Keep it simple and safer with fewer transactions. Debating my decision to sign on because of this monthly thing. Do enjoy the service. Please reconsider
  5. Deborah
    March 22, 2014 at 5:40pm
    I am so upset about the change to a monthly subscription. I cannot believe you would take away the neatly packaged annual option. It's sorely disappointing. :-(
  6. Dominika
    March 22, 2014 at 5:47pm
    Why no annual subscription????? Like the other people, I don't mind so much the increase, but the monthly payment will definitely make me look around and probably go somewhere else. Too bad.
  7. Gilligan
    March 22, 2014 at 5:49pm
    I'm currently researching Pandora One competitors precisely because of the change from an annual to monthly subscription. The substantial price increase doesn't help either.
  8. Leland
    March 23, 2014 at 3:00am
    I agree with CATINTP: Pandora would need to make some changes to keep my business: * Let me ban “live” versions of songs * Let me ban artists I don’t like * Let me create stations whose selection criteria are respected, without cross-contamination from other stations * Let me specify the degree to which I like or dislike or hate a song, to improve my recommendations You are driving me to the Music Channels included with my Charter Cable.
  9. Tim Crockett
    March 23, 2014 at 2:06pm
    The thing is, I don't mind paying more for Pandora, I like the service and still like it better than iTunes radio, which itself needs some "re-tuning". I understand costs increase over time, especially in the media business. Why can I not just pay my $48 for the year and be done with it??? Mobile phones, internet and pay TV are expensive, thus you pay for them monthly to make it affordable. $48 is a dinner or a trip to the movies; you pay it once and move on. Price increase? Understandable. No annual renewal...Really???
  10. Grass Oil by Molly Field
    March 23, 2014 at 6:28pm
    Applying both an hefty increase and a monthly hit on your loyal, reliable and annual subscribers, whom have kept you afloat, is a tragic mistake. If you go through with this, I will leave. We've been with Pandora One for years, but you are not the only game in town anymore. I'm starting to build my stations on iTunes Radio tonight.
    1. John B. Abela
      March 28, 2014 at 1:40pm
      Do it Grass. I already cancelled my auto-renewal, deleted my credit card, and have been using iTunes radio. Already an iTunes Match customer ($25 bucks a year) so its basically the same as Pandora, only basically, free. Why support a company that increases their charge by 33% and then has to lose even more money by having charges every month vrs once a year. (something nobody is talking about... pandora is probably facing MORE charges because of having to have 3 million credit card transactions... Interchange fees... EVERY MONTH vs having them process once a year)
      1. Grass Oil by Molly Field
        April 04, 2014 at 10:13am
        Thank you for the info, John! I need to learn about iTunes Match; but pandora is lighting my path to departure. :)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )