UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

1. Kevin Byington
    March 20, 2014 at 10:10am
    As a subscriber, I have no issues with that at all, However, on a totally unrealated note, I do have a BURNING question. :-) Is there anyway I can listen to just ONE artist on Pandora?
  2. Ken
    March 20, 2014 at 11:50am
    Hard for me to understand how doing away with yearly subscriptions makes good business sense. Besides alienating your most desirable customers, 12 monthly credit card transactions have to be more trouble/expense for you than 1 annual transaction, not to mention that you've got prepaid cash in-hand months ahead of time with an annual subscription! Hit us with a price increase, but please don't do away with yearly subscriptions! I doubt I will continue as a customer once I start seeing that monthly $3.99 reminder on my credit card bill.
  3. Marc X Silver
    March 20, 2014 at 12:19pm
    I am really going to miss you guys at the end of my subscription. The last time you made a major change you lost me for two years, I even named my new music service "F*CK PANDORA" but eventually caved and came back, If you go to a monthly fee you will definitely lose many many customers including my self................ You may want to rethink your decision and stick with an annual fee and jack that up a few dollars but close to $88 a year for old subscribers and close to $110 a year for new subsribers will ultimately kill Pandora. So I am sorry that you won't be in business much longer . So if the free pandora sticks around I may listen to it, but last time I did not due to the anger of you guys doubling the price then, Please feel free to pass this on to management as you will probably be losing your job soon if you don't. GOOD LUCK Marc X Silver
  4. John Logsdon
    March 20, 2014 at 1:24pm
    I understand the need to increase revenue and I will continue to be a subscriber. Pandora provides a great service and I subscribed because I thought it was the right thing to do, rather than "take something for nothing". I hope you will listen to your customers and keep an annual subscription option.
  5. Bill & Mary Ann Nead
    March 20, 2014 at 3:09pm
    After listening to Pandora and the variety of music available, we cancelled our home XM/Sirius Radio subscription and upgraded our free subscription to Pandora One. As for the month to month subscription or a yearly subscription, if you are willing to handle the overhead of a month to month, that provides more value to me since when I cancelled my Xm/Sirius subscription, I got no refund and they will just let it run out to its expiration date.
  6. Mac Poole
    March 20, 2014 at 6:02pm
    I have no problem with pay increase. I have problem with monthly charge. I want a annual payment - once a year to be done with it. I hope that you'll reconsider. I have no plans to renew subscription at this time. I love Pandora and loved that I paid annually and was done with it. Please reconsider the annual option.
  7. loverich1000
    March 20, 2014 at 6:13pm
    Love the service I'll be more than happy to pay one dollar more.
  8. loverich1000
    March 20, 2014 at 6:15pm
    Love the service and for that I'm willing to pay another dollar.
  9. Derrick
    March 20, 2014 at 8:45pm
    Thank you for the great service thus far. However, I'm not interested in monthly payments and will continue your service only if you bring back the annual subscription.
  10. Dan
    March 21, 2014 at 8:46am
    The idea of this is to not piss off the majority and that's not the paying subscribers. If they post more adds there are more people that will complain. Better to have 3 million people complaining then 250 million. Not that all 250 million accounts are active. I was gonna renew a yearly but I'm thinking about checking out some other options. If I can't find some thing else I like I might keep pandora. Does anyone have sugjestions on a better app?
    1. Mac
      March 21, 2014 at 3:15pm
      Spotify, iHeart Radio, Apple, Slacker Radio, AccuRadio, ViaWay Radio, Shoutcast, and the list goes on and on.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )