UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. Roger
    March 19, 2014 at 6:36pm
    So the customer who sees the biggest impact is the loyal annual subscriber... why? If you are trying to encourage "loyalty", that's a two-way street. I've been supporting Pandora for several years as an annual subscriber (have lost count actually). Seems like Pandora decided that the free listeners should be rewarded by removing the 40 hour limit (i.e., getting more for free), existing monthly subscribers should see no change, and the oldest and most loyal customer base should be selected to subsidize this (i.e., paying more for the same service). I am okay with the actual price hike, and still feel that the value is there, but I'm not feeling any "loyalty" coming back my way with the selective focus on increasing the rate for the most loyal customers while giving more away to non-paying listeners (not to mention the inane logic of forcing me to a monthly subscription). I will start to examine other options.
  2. Dave
    March 19, 2014 at 8:27pm
    As others have said, I hate having a monthly charge. Just seeing it appear on my credit card bill every month will make me think I should cancel. A friend of mine with Pandora One said he'll be cancelling in the next few days. Plus, if we're paying for more, why isn't the music quality higher by now? It's no longer 2009, the high quality streaming music should be 320 kbps (or higher). I've been a paid subscriber since the beginning. And I love the concept of Pandora. But it seems they are giving very little benefit to us paid subscribers anymore, at least compared to what it used to be.
  3. Jacob Honer
    March 19, 2014 at 8:35pm
    If I have a paid Subscription, then why all the aggressive ads that open new windows and crash my computer making your service unusable. I have a Laptop that only runs pandora in my studio, but for the last year it seems that it is bogged down with adware from your site. I don't appreciate meet Russian brides ads or download software ads. I may as well go back to listening to the radio for free. And yes these are from your service, computer has been completely wiped cleaned and restarted twice to make sure. Only website ever visited on purpose is Pandora.com yet I have 15 window open after 1 day of listening. Can you explain this? Very Disappointed and no you want more money not going to happen with this crap going on.
  4. Benjamin Warriner (@warbenekar1)
    March 20, 2014 at 5:30am
    I'll keep listening, I love this service!
  5. Steve
    March 20, 2014 at 6:14am
    I'll pay an increase, but please keep an annual plan.
  6. Brent Harman
    March 20, 2014 at 6:52am
    I have to agree with the going sentiment here. I LOVE Pandora and during the year I just spent going through chemotherapy and then open-heart surgery, it just about literally saved my life. I am OK with you raising the price. That makes perfect sense. But why do you insist on going to a monthly model? I would be willing, as a multi-year subscriber, to pay a single $60 annual fee for this great service. But getting dinged every single month is going to give me 12 reasons a year to find some other service to rely on.
  7. khrisztian
    March 20, 2014 at 7:25am
    Although I understand why you are increasing prices, you should be able to offer the ability to skip more than 6 songs per hour..
  8. Rissa
    March 20, 2014 at 7:54am
    I already sent a note to support, but I wanted to echo the sentiments expressed here and say that I'm OK with a price increase but I'm not willing to tolerate a monthly fee option from you, Pandora. Even Spotify lets you pay annually, or in three-month packets (which is what I do). The person or persons in charge of your business modeling aren't paying attention to the market. You should bring that up in the next meeting and ask them why.
  9. Derek Bush
    March 20, 2014 at 8:32am
    I understand the reasoning for the price increase and I'm not complaining about that. However I'm really not fond of the lack of a annual renewal option. Couldn't you just increase the price for that? I'd gladly pay $45-50 a year for that option.
    1. Derek Bush
      March 20, 2014 at 10:32am
      As a Follow up to this, it might be nice to be able to "gift" a annual subscription like you can with Netflix and other subscription services. This would expand your user base, make a great gift, and tap the market of people who may be on the fence about going from free to a paid user.
  10. Katie
    March 20, 2014 at 9:27am
    I have an annual subscription that I enjoy. Please Bering back the annual membership. Lu do not like re occurring monthly payments and will not renew if that is the only option available. Thank you

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )