UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. RCG
    March 19, 2014 at 10:51am
    Let me see if I'm reading this right. Of over 250 million registered users, only 3.3 million of us are paying for your service. Now you've decided to hike our rate. That happens. I'm with you so far, the great evil is charging you more, you need to make money, that's cool. I guess I'll pay you $48 a year now, right? Still a deal, that's great. Wait... You're also discontinuing the annual subscription. Why could that be? Are you trying to make it easier for us to go to another service? Are you planning rate hikes more often than every 12 months? Do you just not like us? Seems like the people that are willing to pay for a year of your service up front would be the group you would be trying to keep. It's not about the money. Charge me $50 a year and I'll say it's a bargain for keeping me sane at work. I'm not saying this will make me unsub, but I know that every month when I see Pandora Internet Radio - $3.99 on my credit card statement I'll wonder if it's worth it, and that's now going to happen 12 times more often.
    1. weblizard (@weblizard)
      March 20, 2014 at 7:09am
      Well said! I was thinking of subscribing to Pandora; I didn't listen to it very often as a free user, but thought it might be worth it if I used it regularly. I like to support the services I use, like Wikipedia & several podcasts. The price increase and dropping the yearly subscription didn't look like improvements were coming up the road for the users, so I'm looking at Apple's service instead...
  2. Common Sense
    March 19, 2014 at 12:15pm
    Apple's ad-free radio service is $24.99/year, Pandora will effectively be $47.88/year for existing customers, and $59.88/year for new customers. Guess who gets my business going forward?
    1. Logan Garcia
      March 19, 2014 at 3:45pm
      It's good that you found something for a better price and that works for your needs, but Pandora is available for smart tvs, cars, Sonos speakers and many other devices. You really need to have an Apple device for iTunes Radio, something that also comes with a price.
    2. Logan Garcia
      March 19, 2014 at 3:46pm
      It’s good that you found something for a better price and that works for your needs, but Pandora is available for smart tvs, cars, Sonos speakers and many other devices. You really need to have an Apple device for iTunes Radio, something that also comes with a price.
  3. Curtis
    March 19, 2014 at 1:07pm
    I really hate that you are doing away with annual subscriptions. I like the option of paying once and not having to worry about my subscription for a whole year. I probably won't quit because my favorite listening device is a Logitech Squeezebox that is not being updated with new apps. I am going to investigate other services on my phone, tablet, and wireless blu-ray player. If you really cared about your customers you would start streaming at higher bit rates.
  4. RJ
    March 19, 2014 at 1:41pm
    Long time user. $48 maybe? Monthly doubt it!
  5. John B. Abela
    March 19, 2014 at 1:52pm
    I am one of your 3.3 million subscribers. The price increase is acceptable, but pushing it. The switch to a monthly charge is not acceptable. If you force my account to monthly payments, even automated ones, I will cancel.
  6. Greg
    March 19, 2014 at 1:55pm
    Please increase the sound quality then. I bought a portable amplifier simply because the audio quality from Pandora is piss poor ... but otherwise it's the best music steaming service. But even with the amplifier, it's quality is worse the say Spotify.
  7. PandoraSupport
    March 19, 2014 at 3:49pm
    @MattKabrown @Don @KH @Peter @Tom @AlexK @Txatty @Curtis We appreciate hearing from each of you. Please send your feedback and suggestions to Listener Support so it can be noted for our Product Team to review: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  8. PandoraSupport
    March 19, 2014 at 3:58pm
    @Sonja @RCG Our Listener Support Team is happy to answer any questions you have. Please email them here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  9. Doug
    March 19, 2014 at 5:39pm
    I have been wondering when this shoe was going to drop. After reading the comments, I have a couple comments of my own. First of all, it feels almost dirty that the people (like myself) who have stood by and paid the annual subscription price and who have remained loyal and stand up subscribers are going to get the shaft. We, the paying customers, have consistently taken the high road and gave you (Pandora) OUR money. We didn't take for free, we've paid our way. It's unfortunate. Secondly, look at these comments. More negative than positive. Am I the only one who finds it pathetic that Pandora responds to the comments that are positive? I mean, Pandora, you've made this comment section into a two way forum, but you only address the commenters who post positive comments? What road is Pandora going down? It's not the kind of road I plan on being a passenger for. Once my subscription ends, so too will my relationship with Pandora. $144 spent and I can't believe it's the end! Maybe the people at Pandora should have grandfathered the current subscription members and changed the pricing scheme with $4.99/month for new members and $3.99/month deal for the current free users. Lastly, because my comments aren't positive, I am really positive I doubt Pandora will reach out to me... Doug B. Paid subscriber since the beginning (2009-2014) RIP
    1. Matt
      July 07, 2014 at 6:16pm
      I have noticed that too. Even several pages into it. Pandora is ignoring the comments that should count and praising all the positive comments. Been with them since the beginning but now it is time to part my way and find a new provider.
  10. Joe
    March 19, 2014 at 5:41pm
    I've been an annual subscriber for the last two years, and I have regularly recommended Pandora One to my friends. I originally planned to renew at $3.99, since it's only a buck more and I have enjoyed the service, have my stations dialed in, etc. But after reading Pandora's notice about the fee increases, I find the double-speak about "loyalty rates" offensive enough that I won't renew my subscription at all. Don't tell me I am getting a "loyalty rate" when the "reward" is a 33% increase; meanwhile, current monthly subscribers are rewarded with a 0% increase. I'm also offended at the blather about how this only effects a "small percentage of our listeners." You have two types of listeners: the non-paying kind and the paying kind (aka "customers," the 2%ers, the loyal ones who pay you actual money). Your fee increases may only effect 2% of your listeners, but it effects 100% of your customers - were we supposed to consider ourselves lucky that fees haven't increased for the freeloaders? Are the freeloaders supposed to pat us on the back and say "Yeah, cheer up, it could be worse - if more of us were paying subscribers, that is"? Whoever is writing your copy should be fired. In closing, I would complain about abandoning the yearly subscription option, but what do I care?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )