UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

1. Kevin Lepard
    March 19, 2014 at 5:15am
    I'm sorry to see the end of the annual plan and the price increase. After many years of subscribing, I'll be letting my account lapse.
  2. Rosie Guerrero
    March 19, 2014 at 6:08am
    In all honesty perfomers or singers are way overpaid. Celine Dion for instance her concert tickets are about $90.00 ticket that was in the the 90's. Since you have no control over the amount performers get paid, I understand the price increase. Thanks for the info, but it is a modest sum to pay.
  3. kh
    March 19, 2014 at 6:30am
    Hi guys, I don't want a monthly plan. I want an annual plan -- charge me a bit more, fine. But if you force me into a monthly plan, I'm going to ditch and start using iTunes Radio -- which incidentally is cheaper at $25/year with iTunes Match (which I already have).
    1. khrisztian
      March 20, 2014 at 7:23am
      I agree, I don't like the idea of paying monthly, it reminds me of Spotify, and I like Pandora.
  4. John
    March 19, 2014 at 6:32am
    So at this time the only people that you are penalizing is the ultimate customer, the annual subscriber. Sad Very Sad!
  5. friedbob
    March 19, 2014 at 6:33am
    While I understand that the greed of the record labels is driving up your cost, doing away with the annual subscription is a bad move. Please reconsider this, as I really don't want to have to start looking for another source for music.
  6. Peter
    March 19, 2014 at 6:50am
    Since I'll now be paying $12 more per year, even with the "loyalty" discount, could you at least add actionable notifications to Pandora on Android? I've been waiting for this feature to come to the app for years.
  7. Tom Horton
    March 19, 2014 at 8:00am
    I've been a user since the beginning and a paid subscriber for the past 3 years. So essentially, as an annual subscriber, my fee is rising from $3.00 per month to $4.00 per month and I don't have the option of paying once per year. Makes no sense to me *at all*. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but I will be switching to Spotify for my music needs.
    1. Alex K.
      March 19, 2014 at 12:54pm
      With the removal of the 40 hour limit for free users raising the price on One does not help the value proposition. I don't want to sound like a dick either, and I've been happy to spend 36 bucks a year for many years. But raising the price on me and lowering my value by offering more for free, not a good business plan guys.
  8. Alex K.
    March 19, 2014 at 8:15am
    I was just reading an article that asserts the streaming services are already too expensive. Based on historical data of how much people spent on music in the past. http://recode.net/2014/03/18/the-price-of-music/ I'm an annual subscriber. I prefer being an annual subscriber. I've been an annual subscriber since the beginning of annual subscriptions at Pandora. I like annual subscriptions to services I use. You get an upfront cash infusion, I get a discount on service. Everybody wins. I don't want to be a monthly subscriber, and I don't want the loyalty rate for having been an annual subscriber. I don't use pandora that much, It's already been a struggle to justify reupping every year for something I only used a few hours a month when there was a free version. But I did it because I liked supporting what Pandora was doing, and I wanted to support them. With the rate increase, and my limited usage. Plus iTunes has been blimping match for just 24.99 a year. That's radio plus all my purchased music in the cloud. I just don't see the benefit to Pandora One if you are raising rates and dropping the annual. You say this only affects a small portion of your users, that's true but we are the portion that has been paying you real cash money. Not the best group to alienate. My suggestion, at a minimum don't do away with annual subscriptions.
    1. Mac
      March 21, 2014 at 3:06pm
      I am a loyal annual subscriber nearly since day one. I agree with Alex and am really p1$$ed. Pandora will be paying the same royalties thru 2015 and they are going up in May 2014? They pay $1.85 in royalties but wanted a lower rate about $1.70 which the courts denied. That is a difference in the neighborhood of 8%. They are giving us a break by going up 33% and dumping our paid in advance yearly subscription??? This smells of fish and greed. There are to many other options including the fact more and more of what I like I have purchased thru Amazon and its sitting on the free cloud they provide waiting for me wherever I go and I am not bother by skips and thumbs downs in order to maintain the content I really defined I wanted to listen to. Pandora was a good affordable business model years ago. Now it is just a business that espouses its care for customer's desires and artist's best interest and that veil has just been lifted and the true color is shining through and it is all about GREEN. Pandora IS NOT worth $47.88 a year. This annual subscriber WILL NOT be renewing. GET GREEDY SIMPLE... GOODBYE. (Along with 11 other family members and close friends with subscriptions who are like minded and will soon be ex-Pandora patrons)
  9. JameNYC
    March 19, 2014 at 8:37am
  10. txatty
    March 19, 2014 at 10:25am
    Why, exactly, would you discontinue the annual subscription? I can live with a reasonable price increase but have had the subscription for several years. Yes the artists and labels are greedy as hell but that should be of no consequence to the annual plan. I may need to explore other options altogether.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )