UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

1. RLTarch
    April 05, 2014 at 9:31am
    I’m fine with the relatively modest price increase, but why a company would decide it’s in their interest to make paying for their service more difficult is beyond me. Entering a yearly fee into my checkbook = no big deal. Tracking monthly charges = pain. I used to actually enjoy entering that annual payment, because it reminded me of what a great service Pandora is. Now I will have monthly reminders of how frustrating you’re making it to buy your service. Thanks Pandora, for taking a unique, pleasant, “hands-off” experience and making it annoying. You’ve motivated this long-time subscriber to explore other options, now that you’re exactly the same as everyone else.
  2. Steve Napper
    April 05, 2014 at 11:46am
    NO Yearly Subscription - NO ME.....I loved Pandora but I'll go see what I-Heart Radio is offering......You got 1 month to fix this
  3. M. F.
    April 05, 2014 at 2:08pm
    My Pandora One subscription expired today and I'm not renewing because of the lack of a yearly option and the discount. Too bad.
  4. Billy Black
    April 05, 2014 at 2:39pm
    No Annual Sub = Me going somewhere else.
  5. Robert
    April 05, 2014 at 11:55pm
    I too was a fan of the annual option. I hate monthly auto pay! Looks like in June when my annual subscription ends so will me being a loyal customer. I hope y'all open your eyes as to what dumb mistake has been made. I can understand a price increase but I will only return for a annual subscription.
  6. S Smith
    April 06, 2014 at 2:18am
    So much for renewing my yearly subscription....I do not care to a a monthly billing..Thanks for the ride. I will get off here.
  7. Bob
    April 06, 2014 at 4:30pm
    I though I was doing the right thing by paying for the yearly subscription vs listening for free. You must be making more money thru the ads than with us subscribers. I'm going to help you out. I too am going to not renew my yearly subscription. I hope you get rich with the money I'm not paying anymore...
  8. Steve
    April 06, 2014 at 6:49pm
    I also enjoyed the annual subscription benefit and related cost savings. I hope these changes are not the beginning of the end of Pandora. IMHO, the $30 annual rate was worth it, but I'm not sure it is at $60 annually. After my subscription expires, I'll investigate some of the other options
  9. A customer
    April 06, 2014 at 9:15pm
    Not much to say here. I've been a subscriber for years and will continue to be so. That doesn't mean I'm happy with this change. 36$ a year I could justify. 4$ a month, a mere $12 increase per year is where it starts to feel more like every other bill I pay. That makes me unhappy. I see constant increases on bills year after year and, guess what, I either cancel that service and go with the competition or I do without. Well played making the "loyal" userbase feel just a bit less significant. Nice to know that it's ok to mess with your users, as long as you're only messing with a small percentage of your loyal users. Sure makes me feel better.... Lots of choices out there for streaming music (many which let me create playlists and save music locally...), I use pandora to find new music. There are other ways to do this that don't require me to pay for a subscription. Don't get greedy and assume that you won't continue to bleed customers if you only increase the price every now and then. Even this increase is enough to make me reconsider if my loyalty is still worth what pandora has to offer. Cheers.
  10. Brian S
    April 07, 2014 at 4:09am
    Why in the world are you insulting the customers that give you a locked in yearly profit? How does that make sense? Doesn't it make more sense to tell your shareholder that you have XX customers locked in for a year at a time? An increase in the yearly, but with still a discount, would make for happier folks plus they are less likely to start shopping around but maybe once a year. Now, we don't have to stay loyal since its a monthly payment. I would normally just make the yearly payment, then forget about it. Now it will be an eyesore on my statement monthly so now every month I will be reevaluating if pandora is the best choice. This seems like a big mistake.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )