UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. Karen Hoksbergne
    April 02, 2014 at 9:55pm
    Yearly subscription or no subscription DO NOT WANT A MONTHLY $3.99 bill -BAD decision Pandora.
  2. Dang it!
    April 03, 2014 at 8:22am
    Kinda shooting yourself in the foot here pandora. I do not allow companies to auto charge me. I call this pulling and is unacceptable. I do allow pushing in which I send you money. Do to this strick financial rule I have, you will loose my business as a paying user. Sad about this. Been listening for years, finally decided I should start paying because I didnt want this crap to happen. Back to f-in adds. Thanks for listening to your paying customers!
  3. Bradley Lafaw
    April 03, 2014 at 10:54am
    ive been enjoying a free preview of Pandora One because of Walt Disney World (im guessing its a promo, but it didnt show up on my friends phone). even though their android phone app has been acting up like crazy recently compared to how well its always worked, i was about to purchase pandora one for the $36 yearly fee. I go to find out, there is no more yearly option, and they have raised the monthly from $3.99 to $4.99 beginning in may. I never did this because i thought $50 vs $36 was alot, and now its going to be $60 vs $36....with all the competition thats coming out for radio/music apps, it seems really stupid to do this much of a jump AND get rid of the yearly discount, like maybe offer the yearly to $40 vs $60. I am interested in seeing how this turns out unless of course they just let it go.
    1. michelle churchill
      April 05, 2014 at 7:25pm
      I really love Pandora One, and have paid for a subscription for 3 years in a row. but the new price hike from $36 to $48/yr has cost my renewal. Too bad Pandora, I love your music and customer service, but that price hike is too much for me! So long old friend. : (
  4. Malcolm
    April 03, 2014 at 11:35am
    Like most business entities the loyal customers get the shaft. A Year rate for loyal customers to 42 to 45 we would be glad to cover. How hard is that?
  5. Lauren
    April 03, 2014 at 12:21pm
    Pandora - I am ok with a small price increase, but drop the annual pricing? And I am starting to get alerts that I can't listen to my paid for Pandora One account on multiple devices at the same time. If you are going to force my family to have separate accounts per person, you should give me the option to pay by the year, instead of nickel and diming me every month. This was always my husband's father's day gift, I believe we will be looking elsewhere for our add free music when this goies into effect.
  6. Nope Nope Nope
    April 03, 2014 at 12:49pm
    Not at all interested in anything that automatically renews off of my credit card. Not having a one-time option available just reeks of shifty BS. My annual subscription just ended and I won't be renewing it unless they bring that option back.
  7. clint roitsch
    April 04, 2014 at 9:46am
    Too much....too fast. I have been a loyal yearly sub. for years. This stinks! Yearly subs should be less than mnthly. and certainly not monthly payments. It is no longer worth the money or trouble of supporting. Very disappointed. .....good luck with your new management.
  8. jeff
    April 04, 2014 at 12:02pm
    Just got ready to sign back up and OUCH ! The yearly option is gone and now I have to deal with monthly charges. NO I AM NOT STILL LISTENING !
  9. joe
    April 04, 2014 at 4:54pm
    buh bye Pandora . It seems that auto renew turned in to this many year subscriber. not renewing. Alsoo to mention that when you listen to the grateful dead it goes into headbanger meth music. Finally, 33% increase? Piss up a rope
  10. John
    April 05, 2014 at 4:03am
    I want to be charged only annually. Monthly I don't think so.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )