UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. Mike Schroder
    March 31, 2014 at 5:14pm
    I like supporting Pandora, but would really prefer to see an option for yearly subscription, even if it means the same rates as monthly.
    1. Kithanye
      April 02, 2014 at 12:05pm
      Agreed. I will likely stop using Pandora altogether if they do not give a yearly option.
      1. pierre
        April 06, 2014 at 6:46pm
        I second that!
      2. Jay
        April 09, 2014 at 8:19am
        Yep.
      3. macrogod
        April 11, 2014 at 10:31am
        Agreed. My subscription ends in 5 days. There is no yearly option I will not be continuing Pandora service.
      4. macrogod
        April 11, 2014 at 10:33am
        Also seconded. My subscription will not be renewed in 5 days, there is no yearly option.
    2. r8chelletters
      April 05, 2014 at 5:03pm
      Not pleased about this change to monthly, not user friendly and now more expensive now that their profits are way up; harkens back to greedy XM radio...which I gladly abandoned as Pandora was a more egalitarian option with reasonable pricing. Now I await the next "Pandora" I can jump to...XM is still trying to give me months of free listening...be careful, Pandora. You will lose your base if you don't make it user-friendly and continue to offer annual options for your loyal clients.
      1. Chris
        April 14, 2014 at 10:18am
        Especially that they are always flooding my mail box with 6 months for 25 bucks...
    3. Mary A Curtis
      April 07, 2014 at 6:11pm
      Here, here. I would rather pay an annual fee. Maybe with a slight discount from the 43% increase we're currently getting.
    4. Sean Smith
      April 10, 2014 at 3:47pm
      Agreed, as well.
    5. Robert
      April 11, 2014 at 3:35pm
      Yeah, I have been premium for the past few years, and am dropping it too. I just can't be bothered with another service sipping a little here and there. I prefer the annual, or even a 5 year plan. Pay once, and never worry someone is going to dip into my account then get hacked and give my bank data to a hacker.
  2. Sarah D.
    March 31, 2014 at 10:01pm
    A 33% increase in one fell swoop!? And you talk about how it's really just a small percentage of your overall users? So you're penalizing the few of us that really support you!? And why no annual subscriptions? Wouldn't that be to your benefit, to have loyalty and consistency? I really don't want to have to have a monthly charge on my bill because it's annoying to keep track of. Furthermore, it looks like you took away the time limit for the free users so you're asking me to pay more, more often to hear a few less ads? While other companies are rolling out competing services? What's going on over at Pandora!? I used to love you guys but as of right now, I'm a thanks, but no thanks.
    1. r8chelletters
      April 05, 2014 at 5:05pm
      ditto! Very disappointed--how could they just drop us like that after years of loyal listening??
    2. Chris
      April 07, 2014 at 8:02pm
      Agree 100%... That's too bad they don't seem to care about the few. :( I can't stand monthly recurring charges. Who can? Whatever...moving on. Thanks for the one and only great year Pandora!
  3. Allison
    March 31, 2014 at 11:08pm
    I just received my notice of renewal and that I need to pay monthly. I agree with almost all the other comments. I do not want a service that I have to pay a monthly fee, the annual worked just great. There are times I travel and might not use Pandora for a month or more, but it was still ok to have the annual. Sadly, I will also look for another service. I have been a long time loyal Pandora listener and my 11 year old loves it, too. It just doesn't feel good when 3.3 million subscribers are seen as insignificant in the big Pandora scheme. I can understand a slight increase in costs, but, 33% seems a bit high for loyal customers. I hope Pandora management will reconsider. I just signed up for one month...and it will likely be the last.
  4. Chablis
    April 01, 2014 at 8:58am
    I agree with all. Annual subscription increase = ok. Monthly subscription = deal breaker :(
  5. Bob M
    April 02, 2014 at 3:24am
    I, too, was a loyal but now disappointed annual subscriber. A slight price increase, year-to-year, makes sense. Everything that I read about the decision to drop the annual subscription option and everything I read here from disappointed subscribers agrees with my perspective, I'm going elsewhere for a pre-paid, ad-free listening experience, even if that means limiting my listening to my own CDs.
  6. Wesley
    April 02, 2014 at 8:11am
    I am sure they did away with the anual subscription to make it easier to raise the price whenever they want.
  7. Jake Elwood
    April 02, 2014 at 12:07pm
    It's total bull crap. These companies abuse customers.
    1. Skyler J. Collins
      April 03, 2014 at 11:51am
      You abuse the word "abuse".
  8. Richard Haig
    April 02, 2014 at 12:11pm
    I do not like the monthly subscription idea I've always been a loyal listener and pay the annual subscription and I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay a customer if this is not change.
  9. John Rossner
    April 02, 2014 at 7:39pm
    "Unfettered Capitalism will lead to the degridation of society" Karl Marx, a Socialist, but insightful just the same. Money is an addiction, the more you have, the more you need. My personal income went up aq whopping 1.5% this year. Corporations, stocks, investments more than 25%. Supermarket prices up 18%, somehow the bean counters say there is no inflation. Pandora is now out of my pocketbook, and will be removed from my device when my suscription runs out.
  10. karen stuard
    April 02, 2014 at 8:30pm
    I have issues with Pandora as it is. Not enough songs and I don't get it in some areas of travel. it constantly cuts out on me and can't find a signal. constantly getting error messages. I will not be continuing after my subscription goes out. I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I prefer the annual subscription. :'(

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )