UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

1. Laren
    March 27, 2014 at 8:53pm
    I've sent an email to the link provided by the Support here, but I wanted comment further. The biggest outrage I have with this is what I was not notified. I stumbled upon this blog trying to find out when maintenance would end, and to send an email already, to mention that allowing us to block live versions of songs would be nice. I got NO email or notification about these changes, and I find it exceptionally rude and feel like an unappreciated unvalued customer. I would be nice to be grandfathered in, as the commenter above me said. I'm a young adult just winging my way into the world, and I chose Pandora One just at the beginning of this month, based on the product and price, as my go-to for my silent, graveyard shift desk job. As anyone knows, when you just start making a way for yourself, you're looking to cut costs in any way. These price changes combined with loss of annual subscription WITH the way we as customers have been treated is unacceptable. I will be moving on when my subscription ends. Until then, you have a disgruntled customer until the beginning of next March.
  2. J Schuller
    March 28, 2014 at 6:14am
    First Amazon Prime increases, now Pandora One. Agree 100% with the comments above, Pandora One is a great service, at the current subscription prices. Not sure it maintains that same level of bang for my buck at a 33% increase. I won't even consider renewing my subscription if the yearly option is removed. Another +1 for not wanting my bank account tapped monthly by anyone.
  3. Darcy
    March 28, 2014 at 9:10am
    Just to have my voice heard.. I would not go the monthly rate and found I could get the annual rate via a gift. When this yearly option is gone then so will my business. I now purchase two annual subscriptions yearly and enjoy Pandora at $36 yearly.
  4. Casey
    March 28, 2014 at 4:02pm
    This is a terrible business decision. Pandora One will now cost between $48-60 per year. Itunes Match is $25, or half the price with no sign of a price increase in sight. There are many better ways to handle this if you were losing money than to simply raise the rates across the board when your competition is cutting their rates. I bought a giftcard for myself and never subscribed annually. Sounds like I am not going to qualify for the $4 rate since I don't get billed automatically.
  5. jesse barnes
    March 29, 2014 at 8:44pm
    Pandora: I agree with most of the people on here, if i want to pay you for a whole year and save you 11 transaction fees per year and give you the reassurance that i will be using your service for the next 12 months, then I sorta expect a little kick-back in the way of a few buck discount. I also don't like having to reconcile more transactions each month than i have to so i am a big fan of "pay it for the year and forget it" been listening to pandora one since say one, and this day is a sad, sad, day. To all the people above: saying that you are leaving and going to pay to go ad-free elsewhere... Have you worked out that cost yet? Sure this is pretty hefty hike, but no other service matches (based on your input and tuning of the channel) as well as pandora (BELIEVE me i have tried them ALL). Its the 2nd cheapest unlimited listening service out there (iTunes radio is only $25/yr for ad-free), and all the rest are about $120/yr OR more! So switch if you want, everything is going up people, its just capitalism at its best, money makes money and the people with the money call the shots! p.s. do you tweet and send comments to the egg people or the milk people when the price goes up?? (i didn't think so) calm down, and carry on, or switch! :-)
  6. Jim
    March 30, 2014 at 6:27am
    I just typed a whole message and I guess I exceeded so me limit so it totally dumped my comment. Figures. So I'll keep this short, you have lost me as a customer. The only reason I kept pandora one was it was inexpensive. Spotify premium lets me pick exactly what I want to listen to, with no limited skips or stations suddenly going sideways and playing mostly Beatles music, or any of that other constraining nonsense.
  7. Randy Mounsey
    March 30, 2014 at 9:51am
    how do I read the entire comment, Pandora cuts the comment off mid sentence, please advise
  8. Cindy
    March 30, 2014 at 4:15pm
    I agree with most everyone on this blog, I can't believe you are raising the price so high and no annual subscription. You are creating so much more work for your company. I love Pandora, I listen to it at least 100+ hours. Please listen to your long time listeners. We have been loyal to you, through all your changes, now be loyal to us. Rethink this step. I will hate to say good bye, but I will have to if you don't have annual subscriptions.
  9. Katie t
    March 30, 2014 at 5:32pm
    I too agree with the other responses. No annual payment = no renewal.
  10. Frank
    March 31, 2014 at 4:44pm
    I too will be looking for a new service, perhaps Amazon who I already pay a yearly fee to. I agree also with those who want to limit live performances, it just gets the same songs on too often. Give back the annual fee & I will reconsider. I like to pay & forget about it for a year, don't remind me I'm paying for radio every month.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )