UPDATE:  You’ve asked and we listened.  We are excited to announce that as of today, December 2, 2014, the option to be billed annually is back and available for purchase from your computer.  We’re constantly working to make Pandora One the best possible experience and we are dedicated to providing you with the best personalized radio in the world.  Thank you for your passion for our service and for your support.

For more information on the annual plan click here.

Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan so that loyal listeners can continue to enjoy a premium, ad-free Pandora experience.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 1.37.00 PMWe’ve been fortunate to be able to offer Pandora One at an affordable price since its debut in 2009 at $36 per year and later with the introduction of a monthly subscription for only $3.99 per month. Over this same period, the costs of delivering this service have grown considerably. For example, the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015.

In order to continue to provide an ad-free listening option, we are implementing some changes to the way we price Pandora One, including a modest price increase for new Pandora One subscriptions:

• Existing Pandora One monthly subscribers that remain active will not experience a price increase at this time and will continue to pay $3.99 per month.
  • For new subscribers, the subscription price will change to $4.99 per month starting in May.
  • Existing annual subscribers that remain active will migrate to a discounted loyalty price of $3.99 per month at their next renewal period.
  • We are ending the annual subscription option.

Beginning this week, annual subscribers approaching their renewal date will be notified as the update is applied to their subscription. Monthly pricing for new subscribers will take effect in May, allowing time for new subscribers to take advantage of discounted loyalty pricing if they subscribe before then.

Our listeners are our top priority and, while this affects only a small percentage of our listeners (3.3 million subscribers of more than 250 million registered users total), we hope that you understand why we have taken these steps. Our goal is to continue to be your go-to internet radio destination and enable you to hear the music you love wherever and whenever you want.

Comments

1. mattkabrown
    March 18, 2014 at 4:38pm
    I don't mind the increase in price, but please bring back the yearly subscription! If you go to a purely month-to-month model, I seriously doubt I'll re-up.
    1. Nate
      March 20, 2014 at 2:24am
      Yep, me neither. I loathe monthly billings -- It's hard enough keeping up with monthly cable and utilities; I've never gotten on-board with automated payments for the simple fact that I've been screwed too many times in the past by any and all of the financial institutions I'm forced to siphon my paychecks through and past transgressions with respect to "credit" don't afford me that luxury... The price increase is fine with me too, but monthly -- It's not worth the potential $35+ fee if you happen to bill me when I'm short; It doesn't happen often but it does happen. not happy with this news in the least...
    2. chris the wiz
      March 20, 2014 at 6:31pm
      I agree I like the yearly thing too. I am going to have to live with it.
    3. tj
      February 13, 2015 at 1:18am
      not pandoras fault y'all are bad with your moneys... consider it an easy life lesson, if you cant consistently ante up four bucks a month for a service you admit to being willing to pay for then you probably need to rethink some things.... and you definitely shouldn't be paying for an otherwise free service.. just sayin'
  2. Ron Cronovich
    March 18, 2014 at 4:45pm
    I've been a subscriber since the beginning. This increase is fair. The price of Pandora One hasn't gone up in 5 years. The increase is $1 per month, that's not bad. And Pandora is a great service. It's worth supporting, and surely worth an extra $1 a month.
    1. Alex K.
      March 19, 2014 at 2:39pm
      Generally I would agree, costs go up. I get that. But in august Pandora increased value for free users by doing away with the 40 hour a month limit. Now Pandora is lowering the paid value by increasing the price and doing away with an annual plan. I get that costs go up, but it’s a hard sell when you increase the value of your product for non paying customers and decrease the value for paying customers.
    2. PandoraSupport
      March 19, 2014 at 3:26pm
      @RonCronovich Thank you for your support. We appreciate you sticking with us. -Alyssa
  3. Jeff
    March 18, 2014 at 5:06pm
    We met a coupe of years ago. After a few days, I thought you were worth $36.00 per year. I know I could have just used you without paying, but I'm not that kind of person. And you've stayed true all along. Reliable. Predictable. So, go ahead. I'll gladly pay another dollar a month when my renewal comes up. You're worth it.
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 19, 2014 at 3:32pm
      @Jeff Thank you for your continued support, Jeff! We appreciate hearing from you. Happy listening :) -Alyssa
  4. Peter Malcolm
    March 18, 2014 at 6:45pm
    Your proposal is fair I enjoy the new timer for night music so I can dose off without worry . Being a senior it is hard to fall off to sleep.
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 19, 2014 at 3:34pm
      @Peter Glad to hear you're enjoying the sleep timer. Thanks for your support. -Alyssa
  5. Terry
    March 18, 2014 at 7:43pm
    As an annual subscriber this "loyalty price" is an increase of almost 33% to me. Paid subscribers make up 1 1/3 % of your total listeners, I fail to see how gouging the minority who actually pay to not have adds will make up for the stated operating costs increasing. I also find it hard to believe that you are not also recovering these cost increases in ad revenue to non paid subscribers. I previously would not hesitate to suggest Pandora One to people, now I will be seriously reconsidering renewing my subscription when the time comes.
    1. Alex K.
      March 19, 2014 at 2:38pm
      This. In august you increased value for free users by doing away with the 40 hour a month limit. Now you are lowering the paid value by increasing the price and doing away with an annual plan. I get that costs go up, but it's a hard sell when you increase the value of your product for non paying customers and decrease the value for paying customers.
  6. R. Davis
    March 18, 2014 at 9:18pm
    "the royalty rates Pandora pays to performers via SoundExchange for subscription listening have increased 53% in the last five years and will increase another 9% in 2015." "U.S. District Judge Denise Cote ruled that Pandora should pay the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers the same 1.85 percent rate through 2015 that it has for years. Pandora had sought a rate of as low as 1.7 percent." So the only raise in cost is because you are making more money from more paying customers, and because you lost to LOWER those same costs you have been paying for YEARS, now you have to change it. Its called being GREEDY. The Royalty payments you make are based on the number of customers you have listening. As you make more money you have to pay more, and doing that buy charging your customers more, makes me say when my sub is up I will be deleting Pandora period. Too many cheaper ones out there that do the same thing without the extra greed. Selling General & Admin Expenses, Total 23.8 50.4 150.4 261.8 That is where your loss is, get better accountants. Get rid of some free listeners and go to a cheaper sub cost, no need for ads without the freeloaders.
  7. Don
    March 18, 2014 at 10:31pm
    If I pay more, I expect more..... Need to bump the sound quality. From a longtime Pandora One user.
  8. private
    March 18, 2014 at 10:59pm
    Will there be no way to pre-pay for more than one month of service or will we have to make an annoying monthly payment every month? Perhaps allow customers to "deposit" funds to cover their monthly charges? I would think requiring lots of small payments instead of allowing one larger one at less frequent intervals would increase your credit card processing costs.
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 19, 2014 at 3:40pm
      Please email Listener Support with your feedback here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  9. Sonja lopez
    March 18, 2014 at 11:20pm
    I have had pandora one for over a year. Two days ago my app( when I would press the pandora icon) says upgrade to pandora one and isn't allowing me to " upgrade". Mean while I just received my reminder that my bill for 3.99 will be automatically withdrawn from my credit card on April 1st. What the hell is going on!
  10. Sysop
    March 19, 2014 at 3:39am
    At this point, I'm sorry Pandora, but it's time to say goodbye and pay $5 a month for not only radio style listening but also specific album/song listening on other services with millions more artists. Thanks for the good music all these years!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )