Music discovery has always been at the heart of the Pandora experience and today we’re thrilled to announce the launch of personalized station recommendations on both iOS and Android mobile devices.

Pandora had 76.2 million people listening to 1.58 billion hours of music just last month alone. When you layer on the more than 35 billion pieces of thumb feedback we have received since launching in 2005, it equates to billions of data points right at our fingertips. These valuable insights into our listeners’ tastes provide us with a deep understanding of what people love about music and enables us to power the best personalized radio experience for each individual listener.

Up until now, we have primarily been focused on making behind-the-scenes improvements to the playlist experience and we’re excited about the opportunity to apply our same methodology to this brand new Pandora feature.

Here’s how it works:

Personalized station recommendations on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets will provide listeners with up to 6 suggested artist stations to add and listen to at a time, based on current listening preferences, taking into account your station list and what you have told us you like or dislike through thumb interactions.  Station recommendations can be found in a couple of areas in the Pandora app:

• Create a Station screen: when you tap to create a station, your recommendations will be listed on the screen.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.
  • Bottom of Station List: If you scroll down your station list, you will see recommendations at the bottom.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.

Your station recommendation list is refreshed when a new station is created or deleted. We will be rolling out this new feature with personalized artist station recommendations and have future plans to evolve and refine the recommendations feature already under development. The more you engage with the product, the more Pandora will learn about your musical preferences and tastes and be able to further optimize the station recommendations for the best personalized listening experience.

Create Station View (2)More Recs View

As always, we’d love to hear what you think of this new product feature. We’ve said this before, but we’re really just getting started. As we work to fulfill our mission to completely reinvent radio, we are constantly thinking of new ways to seamlessly deliver the best personalized radio experience in every possible listening environment. So stay tuned for even more product enhancements and updates on all of our platforms throughout 2014.

Happy discovering!

Comments

1. Michael
    January 15, 2014 at 7:41am
    Great, now please remove the silly 100 station limit so I can truly utilize this feature.
    1. Yim
      February 11, 2014 at 10:54am
      +1. I rarely create a new station these days as it's so hard to decide what to delete!
      1. Joseph Roppolo
        February 12, 2014 at 6:21pm
        This Idea of spending all this time trying to create stations that there are not giving me what I want.Just give me more song selections on what they have in the Geners.I wrote them ,they blew me off.I tried it and they didnt have a clue on what I wanted to here.Tired of hearing the same 20 songs over and over no matter the station.
  2. PandoraSupport
    January 15, 2014 at 9:09am
    @Michael Thanks for your feedback. We'll pass it along to our product team. -Alyssa
    1. David
      February 20, 2014 at 7:04am
      I think there is a problem with the Pandora algorithm for music variation. I can create a station by artist and the start liking/disliking songs but the artist that the station is based upon can almost completely be overwritten and that should not be possible. The base artist should automatically have a heavy weighting or a fixed percent. I've managed turned my Pink station into a country music station! Now, to get any Pink songs back I have to like every song to give that artist a better weighting, but I shouldn't have to like Pink since that was why I created the station in the first place.
    2. Ken Driscoll
      September 13, 2014 at 2:50am
      please let me add more than 100 stations. its the only reason I would consider upgrading to pandora one and would easily be my favorite feature. it would be a great feature that alot of music lovers or anybody would be more than happy to take advantage of. please seriously consider doing this. pandora is my favorite music resource and it would really enhance my experience that much more.
  3. Brian Urso
    January 15, 2014 at 9:44am
    When will the web app catch up to mobile and tablet?
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 15, 2014 at 1:46pm
      We'll let our product team know you'd like feature parity on the desktop app. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. -Alyssa
  4. Larry
    January 15, 2014 at 10:21am
    Sounds great. Now how about adding the ability to remove artists from a particular station. If a group is included in multiple stations one can be overwhelmed by the number of times you hear songs from that artist leading to "burnout".
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 15, 2014 at 12:22pm
      @Larry Keep giving the artists you don't want to hear a Thumbs-down and Pandora will learn not to play their songs. Keep in mind: Thumb ratings are station specific! -Keegan
      1. Harry Kuheim
        January 17, 2014 at 4:48pm
        My Pandora keeps skimming through Artist and Stations on my account just as if I was clicking the fast forward icon or thumbs down...any ideas?
    2. Lori
      June 24, 2015 at 12:03pm
      I agree! Why won't Pandora play a song from each list of stations instead of repeating just the stations I put in recently. More variety from my list, please! Thank you! Still love the fact that we can listen to music all day, great invention!!!!
  5. Kurt Schwemmer
    January 15, 2014 at 11:51am
    As long as you're taking suggestions : Could we get playback controls in the notification shade on Android?
  6. PandoraSupport
    January 15, 2014 at 12:23pm
    @Kurt Schwemmer Thanks for your suggestion! We'll be sure to keep it in mind. -Keegan
  7. Manuel Orduno
    January 15, 2014 at 12:55pm
    I've asked this before, how about a one hit wonders of 80s,90s? With the skip limit, I can't create one.
  8. PC
    January 15, 2014 at 4:04pm
    What version is the Android app for the S4 supposed to be with these changes in it? Want to make sure I have the right version. It would be nice if you guys released the version info along with the update notes. Thanks!
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 13, 2014 at 10:37am
      @PC Sorry for any confusion. Android 5.1. Hope you're enjoying them! -Alyssa
  9. James C
    January 15, 2014 at 4:52pm
    It is nice you are still adding new features, but we still need a no live/concert music filter option.
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 17, 2014 at 5:10pm
      @James I'll let the product team know. In the meantime, make sure you're thumbing-down all live tracks on each of your stations. -Alyssa
      1. Derrin
        June 17, 2014 at 10:48am
        If the point of Pandora's algorithm is to "learn" what I like and create a custom channel, why isn't it recognizing that I thumbs down almost 100% of the live tracks that it plays? I'm ready to look for another streaming service as I must get 5 live tracks every time I listen to Pandora for more than an hour and a half. When I'm out in the yard, I can't stop what I'm doing & keep giving tracks the thumbs down. That logic needs to be factored into your algorithm.
      2. Jordan
        July 24, 2014 at 9:35am
        If I thumb-down a live track because I want to hear less or no live music, would that also mean that Pandora will not play the album version of the thumbed-down live song? This is very perplexing. Seems like you guys should be able to filter out any track that contains the word "Live"...would be very useful for us listeners. Thanks!
      3. Wing Nutt
        January 12, 2015 at 7:51am
        Dear Pandora support, For years I've been hearing your response about down-thumbing live music to reduce the live tracks. Let me say unequivocally. THIS DOES NOT WORK. And by still suggesting it you're just leading to more aggravation. I see requests for this dating seven years back. Still the same response "we'll send it to the developers". The developers obviously aren't listening.
      4. Chris Davis
        January 24, 2015 at 4:49pm
        If you thumb down the live track you'll never hear the non-live version of that song again. And it will avoid similar tracks as well. The developers "aren't listening" was the comment above but... the reality is that *management* isn't listening. Well, they listen but they don't have any motivation to change this. Royalties on live recorded music are a fraction of the actual song. Pandora doesn't pay much to the artist for any song played to begin with, but they can pay them even less if it is live in a lot of cases (not all, but most of the time). One million plays might net you about $17 as an artist. Pandora is also lobbying congress to pay them even less. It is despicable, but it what happens when you have managers and add more of them to growing companies. My advice is leave Pandora, there are a dozen better options out there (little startups) that haven't been overrun by middle management. It is the typical growing pains of little companies when they start getting big.
      5. Mike
        November 09, 2015 at 7:29pm
        How about a live in concert rock channel
      6. PandoraSupport
        November 11, 2015 at 1:13pm
        Hey Mike - send us all your feedback and suggestions here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Kim
  10. theromit
    January 16, 2014 at 6:26am
    For a web-based service like yours, I am unclear why the feature is not available on all clients including Windows Phone and the web. This doesn't bode well :-(
    1. TheRomit
      January 30, 2014 at 4:12pm
      I see you have replied to many comments but not mine. Will take that as a "we don't care" and move on. :-(
      1. PandoraSupport
        February 06, 2014 at 9:55am
        @Theromit Sorry for the delay. We are available on Windows Phone and the web. Check in with our Support Team here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )