As Pandora works to fulfill its mission to completely reinvent radio, we are always working on new ways to seamlessly deliver the best personalized radio experience in every possible listening environment.

Today, we’re excited to share that Pandora is now available on Chromecast, Google’s new TV-connected device that wirelessly delivers online audio and video entertainment to the biggest screen in the home.

pandora_chromecast_nowplaying_tvOwners of Chromecast can now wirelessly stream or Cast Pandora directly to the TV, using their smartphone or tablet as the remote control. Core Pandora functionality, such as Play, Pause, Thumb and Skip are all easily controlled via your mobile device for a seamless listening experience. The Pandora experience is delivered directly from the cloud to your TV, so once you send your favorite station to your TV, your mobile device is no longer required to keep the music going.

This launch is particularly exciting for us because it is a testament to the investment we made earlier this year in our tv.pandora.com platform. We believe the model of web standards-based apps running on the TV, controlled by a smartphone or tablet, is the winning formula for powering second screen experiences. The framework we built with tv.pandora.com allows us to quickly evolve the “10 foot” experience of Pandora with greater flexibility and speed than ever before.

Owners of the Chromecast device can start casting Pandora today by downloading version 5.0 of our Android or iOS mobile app via Google Play and the App Store. Just use the Cast button in the standard Pandora app to trigger one-touch streaming of your favorite personalized radio stations to your TV via Chromecast. Chromecast support is currently available for all Android smartphones and tablets in addition to iPhones, with support for iPads coming soon.

We hope you enjoy Pandora on Chromecast as much as we’ve enjoyed building it and as always, please let us know what you think.

Happy listening!

Comments

1. Jim
    November 02, 2013 at 1:08am
    Been waiting for this and it works well ... except for one thing ... it desperately needs a screen saver feature to prevent the constantly displayed text ie: the "Pandora" logo and my email address from burning into my expensive plasma TV. Here's hoping this feature is added ASAP !!
    1. Jake
      November 06, 2013 at 8:38am
      Super agree! The Chromecast's home screen and the Google Play Mobile App have a great screen saver that moves the text and photos enough to not burn in.
      1. Rodney Malin
        November 17, 2013 at 11:01am
        The Pandora apps on my Panasonic TV and DirecTV receiver both have screensavers. Odd omission. Maybe it's coming later.
    2. Jonathan Sadowski
      November 12, 2013 at 9:04am
      Hear, hear! I'm afraid to use the Pandora application because I'm worried about screen burn.
    3. Ben
      December 23, 2013 at 5:04pm
      Yes! Definitely needs burn in protection!
    4. riwaco
      December 25, 2013 at 6:04am
      After the third song or so on the same station, the screensaver kicks in.
  2. Michael Baker (@bakerbabble)
    November 03, 2013 at 1:01am
    Pandora® radio for Google TV app is not compatible with Asus Nexus 7. Curious omission for version 5.0 of Android mobile app not to work with a Google tablet.
    1. Bill Damon
      November 08, 2013 at 7:52pm
      Maybe they've updated the Pandora app since then. I just tried it on the Nexus 7 and it works!
  3. Rodney Malin
    November 03, 2013 at 8:41am
    Please tell me you have or will eventually have a screensaver option for that app. As the owner of a plasma tv, this app is worthless without it.
  4. ritacolendrew
    November 06, 2013 at 5:35am
    Now this looks like a nice new feature folks!!!
  5. Jake
    November 06, 2013 at 8:40am
    Great idea Pandora! Thanks for this!
  6. Rosanna
    November 09, 2013 at 10:16pm
    Much o love
  7. Rosanna
    November 09, 2013 at 10:17pm
    I love
  8. fan
    November 14, 2013 at 8:02am
    I love the app but would like to use my pc to chrome cast via Chrome browser exstension.
    1. Grant Garber
      November 27, 2013 at 4:28pm
      I was super excited as well to hear about this feature being added to Pandora, and was considering upgrading to the no-ad so it would play on my TV. It's a bummer, that it isn't a browser option yet! Maybe someday!
      1. Benjamin
        February 08, 2014 at 7:24pm
        There is a "work-around." If you adopt chrome as your browser, you can cast pandora from that browser using the chrome extension. I would must rather see a pandora cast button on the pandora desktop app tho!
  9. Stephan Meyer-Ewald
    November 26, 2013 at 8:44pm
    Really likeed the Chromecast experience of Pandora when it came out a few weeks ago. The clean UI/display on the TV is so much more pleasant than other Music services. This clearly biased my listening habits towards Pandora. I was very disappointed when I saw today that there is now seemingly a different, updated Pandora "player" on the Chromecast. Not particularly useful, not as clean and the constantly changing position of the image is more than a bit annoying. Could I get the previous version back?
  10. David
    November 28, 2013 at 2:09pm
    Please add a screensaver! This is a great so for chromecast but I can't use it without a screensaver!
  11. Steve Kesler ☮ (@dSTeVek)
    December 07, 2013 at 7:45am
    The recently released Win 8 Pandora App does not seem to support the Chromecast. Are their plans within Pandora, to resolve this?
  12. chris stubbs
    December 10, 2013 at 2:31pm
    I have what seems to be the current version of Pandora on my Android. It is not prompting me for an update, but I see no Chromecast button anywhere on the screen. Am I missing something about how or where to get this functionality?
    1. Benjamin
      February 08, 2014 at 7:27pm
      You must connect to your home network via wifi
  13. Margaret lyons
    December 11, 2013 at 12:21pm
    Only works in the US! What use is that???
  14. Randy
    January 07, 2014 at 3:23pm
    Any chance there's a cast button coming for the pandora desktop app?
    1. David
      January 17, 2014 at 12:53pm
      Please. Why doesn't the website have an option to cast? I don't see any reason not to do this.
  15. Greg Bradshaw
    January 07, 2014 at 8:08pm
    I can't cast from a Chrome browser? This is a joke, right?
    1. koko boko
      February 25, 2014 at 8:47am
      I double that! I wonder who applies pressure or is it at company discretion that most often the browser option is not implemented(i.e. Hulu, Pandora). What a PC discrimination...
  16. jipsi
    January 14, 2014 at 9:28am
    Christmas day 2013 I was able to stream Pandora from my android to Chromecast. Today, the option to stream (or the icon to choose from device or thru chromecast) is gone. What"s going on. I have the latest version of Pandora but I just upgraded to Pandora One. Could that be it?
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 25, 2014 at 9:56am
      @Jipsi Shoot an email to our Listener Advocates. They can help you out: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  17. Tyler
    January 21, 2014 at 3:25am
    Is there anyway that I can listen to Pandora internet radio, from my phone, without using the mobile app?
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 22, 2014 at 8:58am
      @Tyler Thanks for writing in. The only option on mobile is to listen via our app. -Alyssa
  18. PandoraSupport
    January 22, 2014 at 9:00am
    @Chris @Randy @David @Greg @Jipsi Please get in touch with our Listener Support Team for help listening via Chromecast: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  19. Steve
    March 28, 2014 at 7:25pm
    I just cast Pandora to my TV from my Android phone. As it was buffering on the TV, the android Pandora App turned off so I started it again. Soon I was listening to two different songs from my favorite radio station, one from the TV and one from my phone. I shut down the phone app and then realized I have no way of controlling the Pandora app on the TV. It is now in screensaver mode and I can't figure out how to change stations or eve shut it off, etc. The TV remote only controls the volume. What's up????
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 31, 2014 at 3:20pm
      @Steve Sorry for your trouble. Please email Listener Support so they can help you: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  20. Scott
    April 16, 2014 at 1:53pm
    The YouTube and Netflix apps support casting to Samsung smart TVs. Would be great for this to do the same and work with any cast target. So much easier to use the phone as a remote while still playing on the tv.
  21. Dan
    April 25, 2014 at 2:24pm
    What audio quality is used for Chromecast? Does the desktop Pandora One app support Chromecast?
    1. PandoraSupport
      April 29, 2014 at 10:37am
      @Dan The audio quality on Chromecast and all in-home devices is 128kbps audio. The Desktop app isn't supported by Chromecast. -Alyssa
      1. danx1000
        April 29, 2014 at 10:45am
        Thank you. It will be nice when/if the desktop app supports Chromecast - it will make it worth paying for the higher quality service.
  22. Marek
    April 30, 2014 at 7:32pm
    Sure hope you guys add desktop functionality for Chromecast. Streaming tabs from chrome doesn't work well at all with weird latency based pitch bending and crashing Chromecast. The mobile app is brilliant, but i'd like to see as elegant a solution as Netflix offers for streaming to Chromecast from desktops and windows 8 machines asap! ~Marek
  23. leo benkel
    October 25, 2014 at 2:03pm
    does it work from the webpage as well ?
    1. PandoraSupport
      October 26, 2014 at 8:28am
      Hey Leo! Please forward all of your questions to our support team here: http://pdora.co/writeus -Kim
  24. Stephanie
    November 08, 2014 at 11:31pm
    Lg Google tv can no longer hear audio on Pandora but can hear on you tube, Google play, grooveshark......help
    1. PandoraSupport
      November 09, 2014 at 8:27am
      Hi Stephanie! Email our support team directly and they'd be happy to take a look: http://pdora.co/writeus -Kim
  25. J
    May 17, 2015 at 8:35am
    Just to reiterate what has already been said...Pandora needs burn in protection. It's little fading screensaver thing that it does is not enough. I get the Pandora logo temporarily burned into my tv often (I only leave Pandora on long enough to leave only minor burn in) This feature needs to be added because people can only play Pandora for only two hours max before burn in starts to occur. Please make this change.
  26. Walter
    August 29, 2015 at 3:52pm
    I can only get the cast button to show if I turn off mobile data. Being connected to wifi & mobile data the button disappears. Please fix. Tried downloading and reinstalling moblie app. Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 on Verizon.
    1. PandoraSupport
      August 30, 2015 at 1:16pm
      Please email our support team directly for assistance with this: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Kim
  27. Rayna F
    September 22, 2015 at 12:51pm
    Whenever i try to cast pandora on my tv it always says "unable to cast at this time" I always update it. I have the 6.2 version. Are you working on this?
    1. PandoraSupport
      September 22, 2015 at 1:34pm
      Hey Rayna - we're currently on Pandora 6.4. Could you please email us so we can take a look at your set up? http://pdora.co/writeus. -Kim

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )