With today’s release of Pandora 5.0 on iOS devices, you will see some refinements to our logo, our app icon, and our visual design. These changes will also be available soon on our website and Android devices. I wanted to take a moment to share the thinking that led to these changes.

When I joined Pandora as its first CMO, I was drawn to the company for a singular reason: it has a clear mission. The principle that drove Tim to start the Music Genome Project in 1999 – to help people enjoy and discover music they love while connecting working artists with new fans – remains the central mission of Pandora today.

Now, almost two years later, I know first hand the commitment and pride of the people who work at Pandora. Our listener support team personally answers each of the tens of thousands of emails we receive each month, usually the same day.  Professional musicians and musicologists spend up to an hour meticulously analyzing each song that goes into the Music Genome Project in order to make better recommendations. Curators, music programmers, data scientists and engineers work together to solve the challenge of making better musical connections for each and every listener.

Our commitment comes from our belief in a common purpose. We believe Pandora is cultivating a better musical future by enabling an effortless and endless exchange where music flows freely from the artists who create it to the audiences who love it.

This purpose is the foundation for our evolved brand strategy. Our goal with the logo and app icon is to honor our past while looking to the future with a bolder, more modern identity. The visual design language, which we refer to simply as “lights,” is meant to evoke the interplay of lights from a live show while symbolizing the flow of music from artists to listeners. To introduce our new direction, we created a short video.  It is intended to be a declaration of who we are, what we believe, and why we do what we do.

I hope you like it.

Comments

1. jessica torres
    September 21, 2013 at 5:47pm
    Pandora its good
  2. Cody Iddings
    September 23, 2013 at 3:48pm
    What song is in the video?
  3. Rabu
    September 26, 2013 at 3:49pm
    Love Pandora, but is it bad if I prefer the old logo/brand? Maybe I'm just old school? Matter of preference.
    1. Jackie
      September 30, 2013 at 2:16pm
      I like Pandora because I can list to all my favorite songs
  4. Questin Markus
    October 17, 2013 at 2:39pm
    shoutouts to design jargon bs
  5. Dkwilli
    January 13, 2014 at 10:59am
    I enjoy Pandora because I can shuffle music I've never heard before, and frankly, would not have sought out, with music I have always enjoyed. The old songs with new favorites; even in my sixties that's good music. Thanks, Pandora.
  6. Rob
    February 26, 2014 at 9:27pm
    corporate stooges are really ruining Pandora. Rather than giving us a better product, you just feed us all of this BS. No one cares about this.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )