One of the admirable things about traditional radio is that it is truly ubiquitous – from kitchens and bedside tables to automobiles and coffee shops, wherever you go, radio is there. AsΒ Pandora works to fulfill its mission to completely reinvent radio, we too must seamlessly deliver Pandora to every possible listening environment.

tv pandora com 3 (2)One particularly important venue is the living room. As consumers embraced flat screen TV’s and home theater speakers,Β the center of gravity for music in the home shifted from the family stereo to the television. Pandora connected with this trend early and to date more than 10 million listeners have enjoyed Pandora on their internet-connected television.

Today we’re excited to announce the next generation of Pandora for the living room: tv.pandora.com. This is an entirely new experience designed from the ground up for your television and remote control. This new initiative is standards-based and embraces next generation TV, game console, and set top box architectures that support open web standards. Today tv.pandora.com runs perfectly from the browser in your existing XBox 360, and the system will spread to other environments as more vendors bring standards-compliant TV’s and set top boxes to market in the coming months. It’s also a completely new approach which will allow us to evolve the β€œ10 foot” experience of Pandora with greater flexibility and speed than ever before.

We’re still in the early stages of a transition to a world where all of the devices we interact with throughout the day – our TV’s, our stereos, our refrigerators, our cars, our watches, our eyeglasses — are all connected to the internet. This then begs the questions: how will developers create applications for this incredibly diverse set of devices? We think the answer can be web standards. The world doesn’t need more proprietary platforms fragmenting the innovative efforts of developers everywhere. The PC world was transformed by the emergence of the standards-based web twenty years ago, and we think the same solution will serve to unify the coming “Internet of things.” tv.pandora.com, and the new platform from which it was built, is our first step to lead the industry down this path. We hope you enjoy it; let us know what you think in the comments below.

Comments

1. JOSHUA
    June 05, 2013 at 5:48am
    HOW CAN I GET PANDORA TV ON MY PS3????
    1. Brittany
      July 24, 2014 at 7:12pm
      This should help you! http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/1172447-pandora-on-playstation
      1. Felicia
        August 27, 2014 at 6:17pm
        I did this process on my ps3 and it worked fine, but now all I get is silence and a loading pin wheel when I select a station to listen to
    2. PandoraSupport
      August 28, 2014 at 8:26am
      @Felicia Our support team would be happy to help you out. Please reach out to them here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Kim
      1. Bernadette
        January 15, 2015 at 2:31pm
        Mine does the same thing.
  2. Richard Gunther
    June 05, 2013 at 6:15am
    Is there a way to force TV mode in a browser? The use case I'm thinking of is other 10ft interfaces with browsers, the Wii, the PS3, Windows Media Center, and pretty much any home theater PC. I co-host a weekly show about Microsoft entertainment technology, and we often get questions about integrating Pandora with HTPCs.
  3. Rohan Mayers
    June 05, 2013 at 7:32am
    Ok, I found a workaround. When you are at the login screen, click I am new the Pandora and use the code to sign in instead of your user name and password.
    1. catie
      April 15, 2015 at 6:40am
      Thank you SO MUCH!!!! Pandora help desk did not tell me to do this. They just advised using the steps on the website.... your the best!!!!
  4. Alex
    June 05, 2013 at 7:40am
    Good
  5. Travis
    June 05, 2013 at 7:46am
    Love the interface, but I'd really like to run this on my HTPC... is that something that's going to be possible?
  6. Rich
    June 05, 2013 at 8:27am
    If I have Pandora one will the bit rate be 192Kb for tv.pandora.com? Or will it be 128?
    1. Rich
      June 06, 2013 at 4:42am
      Seems it streams to the PS3 with 128K MP3's. Please tell me what the purpose of a Pandora One account is if I cannot stream high quality music to my home entertainment system??? Listening on a PC is not what most of us do. Thanks, Rich
  7. Ed
    June 05, 2013 at 8:28am
    Why limit it to consoles? Some of us use regular Windows machines as their media systems. Let us view the new interface in any browser.
  8. Chris
    June 05, 2013 at 11:14am
    FINALLY!
  9. Ellis Benus
    June 05, 2013 at 12:47pm
    I'm confused. So this isn't a different interface for PC's which are hooked to televisions?
  10. Sean Dillon
    June 05, 2013 at 2:00pm
    I am very curious how you pulled this off. I didn't think the XBox's browser supported streaming audio with it's html5 audio tag, and it doesn't support plugins, either...?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )