We had a great get-together last Thursday in our very own hometown of Oakland, CA at a perfect spot called Preservation Park, right downtown.

Town Hall_Oakland 12.8.jpgA really large crowd showed up, loaded with lots of questions and comments:
There were many questions about how we decide what music goes in Pandora, and on how artists are paid – including from a number of musicians whose music is on Pandora. There were also questions and suggestions about advertising on our site – is it targeted? For example, one married attendee asked about the frequency of dating site ads…I assured her this wasn’t a hint of any kind!

Pandora is very conservative on this issue, and it is heartening that our listeners also have a pragmatic attitude about the business benefits – good thing considering how Pandora works!

Folks also had a lot of questions about specific stations (Allman Band, Led Zeppelin, flamenco music…) with an equal mix of complaints and compliments – one thing that our attendees learned, as did I, is that our suggestion option isn’t as obvious as it could be. Need to fix that.

I was particularly struck by the number of people who were interested in Pandora’s relationship to the local community, and how we see community work and philanthropy in terms of our company’s mission. That’s a major topic inside Pandora right now. We’ve been doing a lot, but are thinking strategically about how to expand. Oakland definitely has a lot of community pride. It’s great to finally be able to meaningfully contribute to our community.

Really heartwarming question from someone to close off the evening: “how can we be better listeners?” Pretty cool🙂

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Isabella
    December 19, 2011 at 3:23am
    This is really great to get Pandora free on my iPhone, that allows simply play the app and Pandora music... i got iDA-X305S on my iPhone just for Pandora. i wish i could have a Pandora membership. OMG
  2. Angie
    December 20, 2011 at 10:32am
    You should add a share function to these blog posts so that we can share them on our Facebook and Twitter pages. XOXO
  3. Matthew Herring
    December 20, 2011 at 6:15pm
    Pandora is great. I enjoy listening to it every day and makes doing what I do so much better! I have one huge suggestion which I know there are many out there who agree with me... A great improvement would be to support the "Show what I'm listening to" option on windows live messenger. That would be great!
  4. Rob McMillin
    December 21, 2011 at 12:23pm
    A small thing, but could you PLEASE restore the bookmark feature from the main website? It still exists for the mobile app and the Adobe Air standalone app, but it's broken on the desktop. And that makes me sad panda.
  5. Anthony G
    December 21, 2011 at 10:17pm
    How about listing the station being played with the song and artist. I have numerous stations and have to do a lot scrolling to figure out if I want that song on that station. Would it ever be possible to use lyrics to organize songs?
  6. abclockandkey
    December 22, 2011 at 11:56pm
    Are You Guys Gonna Be coming to Nashville Tn Anytime soon
  7. Angelica Balderas
    December 23, 2011 at 10:07am
    Very frustrated i have tried to create my holiday station in spanish and I keep getting everything but spanish music! Or I get spanish music that is not holiday...here let me give you a SIMPLE SUGGESTION How about coding Holiday-S for spanish maybe your sophisticated software can then figure it out!
  8. Hindi Shayari
    December 27, 2011 at 3:45pm
    You had better unload the bigots at Lowe's right quick, or you are gonna lose me. I can live with the dating onslaught, but surrendering to right-wing fascist Nativist pressure is a very bad call on the part of such a ubiquitous company, and by partnering with them you condone.
  9. Al
    December 27, 2011 at 4:18pm
    How do I pay securely? Your upgrade page is not secure and I don't enter credit card info on such pages. I emailed twice about this but alas, no reply?!?
  10. Mike Cancel
    December 27, 2011 at 4:55pm
    Hi Al, we've got information on this here: http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/267802-is-paying-for-pandora-online-safe-